October 2013 Moms
Options

Baby saved my life

I'm a mostly lurker/occasional poster was due 10/17. WARNING: there are some graphic parts to this story! This is going to be long & I apologize in advance for formatting...on my ipad in hospital. The short: baby taken by c-section on 9/2 (33 weeks, 4 days) because I needed surgery. Weighed 5 lbs 4 oz 17 1/2 inches. In NICU but doing pretty well. We named him Everett James Let me start by saying I was planning a med free VBAC. Sunday (33 w, 3 d), we went to a party about an hour and a half away from home. I started feeling some cramping in my stomach or high in my uterus around 6 pm, as we were leaving the party. We stopped & got the kids pizza & headed home. By this point, the cramping was getting bad & thou I was fairly certain it was my stomach, my husband convinced me to call the midwife just in case. I texted her, she calle due back & advised me to go to L & D in the bigger hospital with better NICU just in case (I work at that hospital & had delivered my other 2 there but midwife doesn't have privileges yet so I planned to deliver this guy at a different hospital). The high risk OB she practices with has privileges at this hospital. At L & D by 8:45...my husband was flying! No one really knew what was wrong. Symptoms continued to worsen. Started bloating, pain spreading. My husband comes back from dropping off kids. Ultrasound shows baby looking good. Small contractions but only 1/2-1 cm dilated. Midwife tells high risk doc he better come check me himself because she feels something is not right. This man literally left no stone unturned & convinced me to have a CT scan even though I was pregnant just to rule out a bowel obstruction--which is apparently rare in pregnant women. Turns out, his hunch was right andI did have a bowel obstruction. Had gotten a shot of steroids sometime early Mon morning and Dx was finally made about 5 pm. When I tell you I have never felt pain like this before in my life, I am not exaggerating. I swore up and down that my pinto in induced first birth (per-epidural) was not touching this pain. So, unfortunately, at 7:30 pm on Labor Day, they had to get my guy out to save me. When the OB opened me up, she said she couldn't find my uterus bc by intestines were bleeding so much. The gastrointestinal surgeon then went in and removed 18" of dead intestines. No one is sure why that happened or how it happened so quickly. I was at a slightly higher risk of bowel obstruction from scar tissue adhesions due to 2 previous abdominal surgeries (c-section in 2012 & appendectomy in 2004), but there was no adhesions--my intestines literally just twisted. I really think if I had not been pregnant, I would have waited a lot longer to get medical attention & then would have been dealing with ER doctors I didn't know and wouldn't have really had anyone advocating for me. This pregnancy was not exactly planned and we had unprotected sex at about 5 days before I ovulated, so chances were not ideal for getting pregnant. I've been saying all along that this kid just really wanted to be in this world and joking that he was going to do great things. Little did I know how great! And before he was even born. He was perfectly fine on the inside despite my system going crazy, but had to come out so they could get to my intestines. He's now in the NICU hooked up to tons of tubes and wires which makes me really sad, but all the doctors & nurses seem to think he will do well, it will just take some time. He's big for a 33 weeker, so he's got that going for him! None of my birth experience went according to plan. Not one part. But, it had to go down so now we are just trying to recover. Thanks to all who stuck around for my crazy story & good luck to all my fellow October Mommies!!
Emmerson 3/23/10 Asher 2/7/12 Baby boy due 10/17/13

Re: Baby saved my life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"