Georgia Babies
Options

Daycares?

We are considering a move to Atlanta but do not know the area at all. What are the good daycares and general cost near the following areas? I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old ... Their current daycare facility is considered "high-end" in our area. Emory - Clifton Corridor
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+

Re: Daycares?

• Options
    $900-$1200+

Suburban Nursery and Smarties are some good ones close by in Decatur.  There is also the Clifton School if either of you is an Emory employee.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! Is the rate you listed per child monthly? Also is the Decatur area a nice place to live? We're going into this kinda blind, ha ha. I would be working at Emory I figured they had a daycare but wasn't entirely sure. The only place we've been in Atlanta is Buckhead and downtown.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! Is the rate you listed per child monthly? Also is the Decatur area a nice place to live? We're going into this kinda blind, ha ha. I would be working at Emory I figured they had a daycare but wasn't entirely sure. The only place we've been in Atlanta is Buckhead and downtown.
    Decatur can be incredibly nice or incredibly sketchy, as with most of Atlanta. If being close to Emory is ideal, then you could look around the Univ Heights/ Sagamore Hills area. HR at Emory should be able to provide some assistance (am guessing since we have that at GT).

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Stay away from Buckhead! :)

As PP said, Decatur has both nice and sketchy areas, as does most of Atlanta.  Depending on what kind of commute you want, you can expand your areas too.  I'd recommend renting for a year if that's feasible while you get to know the city and what neighborhoods make sense for you.  There are some great parks in Atlanta to live around with great communities.  
  • Options
    Stay away from Buckhead! :)

As PP said, Decatur has both nice and sketchy areas, as does most of Atlanta.  Depending on what kind of commute you want, you can expand your areas too.  I'd recommend renting for a year if that's feasible while you get to know the city and what neighborhoods make sense for you.  There are some great parks in Atlanta to live around with great communities.  

Yeah, I just told DH maybe we should rent a condo or something while we look and possibly build a house. I just want to live close enough to work that I don't spend a ton of time in the car each day ... I'd rather be with my babies then sitting in traffic. Right now my commute is about 20 mins one way during high traffic. He think I'm nuts to want to go from a 6000sq ft house to a condo but I think it's doable for a year.
  • Options
    There are some larger homes near Emory (though probably not 6000 sq ft).  Also, you can find homes to rent rather than a condo so you don't sacrifice so much on space.  I'd look for a home for rent in a neighborhood you *think* might work for you so you can start living there and getting the feel for it.  A condo really won't give you that.  Peachtree Hills, Ansley Park, Emory, Morningside Heights, Candler Park, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands are all good places to start that won't give you an awful commute (I reverse commute from Candler Park to Mableton and it only takes 20 minutes).
  • Options
    I work at Emory and live in Brookhaven (the part more ITP - Peachtree/N Druid Hills/Dresden area). We love the area and my commute is 15 minutes..maybe 20 minutes on some days with bad traffic. So that opens up another good search area. We have a bunch of restaurants to walk to and lots of parks, plus easy access to MARTA which we love. Another Greater Decatur area to look at is Oak Grove. It is about 10-15 minutes to the Emory area.

There are plenty of homes to rent before you buy that would give you more square footage than renting a condo. Plus you'd be in a neighborhood you might eventually move to. Most realtors can help you find a place to rent and then help you find your home to buy.

My friend is at the Clifton School - which is the Emory affiliated daycare. It is a Reggio Emilia school and they love it. They have two campuses, one by the CDC and another on Clairmont. You must be an employee to attend and they have waitlists. So it is best to get on as soon as you can.
    Our Photo Site
    James - July 4, 2010
    Sam - June 21, 2012
  • Options
    We know a few Emory faculty members, and they live in Druid Hills, Morningside and Oak Grove. I think those are all good places to look. Two of our friends have had their kids at the Clifton school and loved it. There are other good daycares in the midtown area, but that would be a pain if you're both living and working near Emory. The Glenn School is right there, but I think it might be part time. Does Arbor Montessori start that young?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"