February 2014 Moms
Options

My parents' excitement is driving me CRAZY!!!

We're having our first child and my parents' first grandchild. To put things short, they're both crazy excited. My Dad has been sending these EPIC mushy emails about how he can't wait to meet his grandson, know what his personality's like, hold him, see what he looks like, learn whether he's artistic or mathematic or funny or sporty, play with hin, cuddle with him, etc. etc. etc. He is so overly emotional that it makes me even more nervous if something goes wrong!! I know he's just excited, but it's driving me crazy and just seems way over the top.

My Mom has been much more manageable (and helpful) but last week she posted this big announcement on facebook that she was going to be a grandma to a little boy (this was on the same day we found out the gender). We hadn't even made the announcement ourselves yet!! I asked her to please take it down. They both have been asking me constantly when they can tell their friends, and I keep asking them to please be patient! I have a higher risk pregnancy because of previous LEEP surgeries, and want to wait and see how things progress before announcing the news to everyone. Why can't they just be patient like we are?? Only a few of our close friends know.

Lastly, on the phone last week my Dad was already asking me whether we had decided if we wanted family members (ie. him) at the birth. I think we want just the two of us to be there, with family members coming later once we're home and adjusted to our new life with baby. This is new for us, too. I know how excited both of them are and of course I'm also excited to share this with them as well, but can't we just get a little space sometimes and be given time to share and decide things as we're ready??

Is anyone else struggling with this? How do you handle it?

Re: My parents' excitement is driving me CRAZY!!!

• Options
    My mom wants to be at the hospital and meet baby ASAP but hasn't asked to be in the room. My ILs are the same. I don't mind visitors to the hospital but no one other than DH will be present at the moment of birth.
    This is second granddaughter for my parents and first grandbaby for DH's parents, and they're all excited. No one outed me on FB but my Dad told all his friends really early. Luckily I don't live in the same city so it didn't bother me much.
    Baby #1 due 2/10/14!
  • Options
    Not this time, but with DS my MIL posted our gender reveal (we did it on our Christmas card with a note to please not say anything until everyone else knew, that we'd let them know).  She posted my ultrasound picture, which I asked her not to, because I didn't even want to send her one, I think they are more private and did not post one on my facebook., and she didn't even edit out all of my information, including my social security number, due date, hospital, etc.
    Luckily we lived very far away because I would have flipped after everything she did during my pregnancy (^just the icing on the cake, she was a nightmare)

I had to get DH to talk to her and we wound up not telling her anything until everyone else already knew.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes! But with my in-laws! I realize they feel like they had to wait a long time to have a grandchild. Dh and I have been together 10 years, married for 5. I feel like as soon as we told them then the whole world knew. My MIL keeps on wanting to invite me to her socialite stuff to show me off now that I look pregnant. I feel more like a side show for them than a family member. DH finally said something to her about me wanting to be around people I find supportive and loving, not old women who feel like they have a right to touch me just because they've birthed million babies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"