Parenting
Options

@Missyishere

I have a question, I hope you don't mind me asking. I will try to provide you with pertinent information, so forgive me if it is tl;dr.

My DS is 9, and has wrestled for the last three years for our local team. He is pretty good, and is ranked 2nd in our district for his weight class. We love what wrestling has taught DS about sportsmanship and being a part of a team. He has stayed humble through his successes, and is always willing to learn. We couldn't be more pleased with our local program. He has been invited to join two travel teams, but we have declined. I will not let DS lift weights or starve to cut weight.

We were just contacted by a local MMA gym, and DS was invited to join their youth team. I am really, really torn. DS LOVES to watch MMA fights, and follows one of our local fighters like it is his religion. The team is sanctioned, and the instructors assure me that safety is a priority. They aren't allowed to strike above the collar bone, or below the waist.

The program is based on Muy Thai and Jiu Jitsu, so it is my understanding that they will work heavily on submission grappling. (I think, this is where my understanding is minimal.)

DS's wrestling coach says go for it. DH says we should let him try. I say holy shit that's my baby. What do you think? Would you mind weighing in with your expertise? I have a hard time imagining myself saying "DS, don't forget to call your Nana to invite her to your fight!" ;)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: @Missyishere

• Options
    I'm OOT right now and can't really answer thoroughly, but I will get back to you once I have more free time. Pinky swears.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    Deal! Thanks a bunch!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sounds like they have rules in place to keep it as safe as possible. Especially since he's a little older, I would let him try it out and see how it goes. I know it probably seems scary, but I think with the proper training and coaches, he will be okay.

If you aren't sold on it, go watch their practice a few times first.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    Thank you so much! I went and watched a practice, and then took DS to watch a practice. The coaches all seemed really personable and knowledgeable, and DS is begging.

He has to have at least 2 months of 2x weekly practices before his first fight, so that gives me some reassurance that it isn't some kind of kiddie Fight Club.
    This, combined with wrestling this winter and spring would give him practices 4 days a week, and he will have a wrestling match every Friday. He knows that if his grades drop, he will have to drop a sport, and has agreed.

Looks like I am going to let him try! Yikes!!!

• Options
    Good luck! And really, if it's a good gym, they will avoid injury as much as possible.

imageimage

• Options
    PM me the name of the gym, would ya?

imageimage

• Options
    Just did!

• Options
    I am not seeing any PM yet, lady. 

imageimage

• Options
    Damn mobile. Let me try again!
    PS. He goes in for his first class Monday night. The gear is flucking expensive!!!

• Options
    Mobile won't let me send for whatever awful reason. Let me know when you see this, so I can edit. www.odysseymma.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"