Parenting
Options

Any tips much appreciated

Here's the deal. I've asked about it before. The cats keep pooping right outside their litter boxes.

We have done the following:
Gotten more boxes
Clean the boxes every day
Moved positions of boxes
Put plastic outside boxes
Taken them to the vet
Changed their litter brand
Changed back

The pooping outside the box continues. I've heard about a hormone thing you can put in the litter, but have heard mixed reviews about it. Does anyone have any tips about how to stop this?

This is probably a P&R, so TIA.
Lilypie - (KNqh)

Re: Any tips much appreciated

• Options

Have you tried cat attract litter? That seemed to help my jerk cat.

This is the stuff I've heard mixed thing about. Did it help your cat?
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    Just poop. We had covers, took them off, put them back on, and it didn't seem to matter.

We have two cats. We haven't seem which cat is doing it.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you seperate the kitties so you can see which is the culprit?

What's the poop like? If hard, kitty could be constipated and poop wherever.

What do you clean with? Where do they poop?

image image
  • Options
    I have two friends who tried cat attract litter...one said it worked, the other said it didn't.  I would try it, can't hurt! 

If you want to find out the culprit this is what I did several years ago when I had three cats and one was pooping on the floor.  Got non toxic crayons in two different colors, shaved the crayons and added the shavings to some canned food.  Gave each cat a different color crayon in their food (with one cat not getting any crayon).  I was able to determine who was pooping on the floor by the color of the poop.  Unfortunately even though I figured out who was doing it, I never could fix the issue...
  • Options
    Ok. We will try the cat attract to see what happens.

Also, we can't separate them, really. They have access to the basement through a kitty door, and that's where they do their business. We mostly clean with bleach/water solution if it's not on something, like the plastic, that we can toss. Usually they poop right outside the box.

Thanks all for all the comments!

Hopefully the cat attract will work. :)
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options

marchbaby said:

I have two friends who tried cat attract litter...one said it worked, the other said it didn't.  I would try it, can't hurt! 

If you want to find out the culprit this is what I did several years ago when I had three cats and one was pooping on the floor.  Got non toxic crayons in two different colors, shaved the crayons and added the shavings to some canned food.  Gave each cat a different color crayon in their food (with one cat not getting any crayon).  I was able to determine who was pooping on the floor by the color of the poop.  Unfortunately even though I figured out who was doing it, I never could fix the issue...

NHIE heard of feeding cats crayon shavings.

I had a dog I pet sat for who'd eat crayons. Made for rainbow poops. It amused me.

image image
  • Options
    Mix pumpkin in with some wet food. This exact scenario happened to my in laws. I guess it was constipation
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    RNbock2 said:
    Mix pumpkin in with some wet food. This exact scenario happened to my in laws. I guess it was constipation
    Really?

It might be, but I just find it weird that one of them is going right outside the box. I mean the box is right there... if the cat attract doesn't work, then we'll ask our vet about this.
    Thanks!
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    I don't like cats. But, yes. Your exact situation was what my in laws said was happening. They only have one car, he is fairly young, if that matters?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My cat did this for years. Years.  It turned out to be just a behavioral issue due to loneliness and boredom (I think, she's a cat afterall.)

I had gotten her in high school, then went to college, then my parents divorced and she was just left with my dad, which is when the pooping issues started.  She then moved in with me and the problem continued, I believe because she didn't like my roommate's dog.  Once she lived just with me and SO and the baby, the problem has stopped and she hasn't pooped outside of the box since. 

So, I have no idea what to tell you, really. Is there something about the cats' environment that has changed or that they dislike? Has it just started since you brought the baby home?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    marchbaby said:

NHIE heard of feeding cats crayon shavings.

Ha, well normally I don't make it a habit to feed my cats crayon shavings, but I needed to find out what cat was pooping on the floor so that I could try and fix the issue, and that was an easy way to find out. They are non toxic and only got a tiny amount, it worked for me.  I was able to determine what cat was having the issue and brought him to the vet, had some tests done, put him on anti anxiety meds etc.    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"