1st Trimester
Options

Gender Reveal Parties

This is our 2nd child so we wanted to do something different..so I was thinking gender reveal party. But I feel like if I do a gender reveal party I shouldn't have a baby shower cause that's a lot of my friends and family. Do people usually bring gifts to gender reveal parties? Can you have a gender reveal party/ baby shower together? Thanks! 

Re: Gender Reveal Parties

• Options
    1)  A baby shower is meant to "shower" a new mother with gifts that help her make the transition to motherhood.  It is inappropriate to have a shower for a second baby, and it is absolutely rude to host one for yourself since it is a gift-giving event.

2)  Gender reveals are generally not considered to be gift-giving events.  They do come off, IMHO, as a bit AWish and weird; no one cares as much about the sex of your baby as you do.  But whatevs.  If you do decide to have a gender reveal, keep the guest list small-most of your friends and family will be happy hearing the news by text or email.

Perhaps you might consider hosting a meet the baby party when your LO arrives instead?
  • Options
    EmpireceoEmpireceo member
    edited August 2013
    Joy2611 said:
    No, gender reveals are not gift giving events. 

In my world, only first time moms have baby showers and gender reveal parties are side-eyed.

Yes, this. Gender reveal are pretty AWish, imo and showers are only for first time moms.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For a second child, you shouldn't have a shower.  

Gender reveal parties are a cute idea, but as a PP said, not gift-giving events.  
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of gender reveal parties myself.  They seem, well, ridiculous to me.  What you might consider as different though is having a photo shoot where the gender is revealed through balloons, pinata, or something else creative, have the photographer capture the whole thing, and share those photos with family and friends.  If you were to have a shower it should be totally different, but as others have said, it is not common for 2nd timers to have a shower.

• Options
    Joy2611 said:
    No, gender reveals are not gift giving events. 

In my world, only first time moms have baby showers and gender reveal parties are side-eyed.
    This.

• Options
    erind0213erind0213 member
    edited August 2013
    They aren't intended to be gift giving parties, but when DH's cousin had one, I bought books, since a child's library can never be too big.

I think it is a to each their own type deal.

DH's family is trying to convince me to do one, but I am not sold on the idea.

1. I can think of a million other ways to spend the couple hundred dollars we would be shelling out to hold the party.

2. Neither of our families is small and you can't only invite a limited number without offending somebody.

3. I can't stand the suspense of waiting. I would rather just know right there and then.

As for a 2nd shower... I would say it would depend on how long in between kids. If its been 5-10 years then a 2nd shower I don't think is crazy, but if its sooner(as in my case 3 years) I think its greedy.

IMHO I knew when pregnant with my first that it would not be my last and therefore I purchased all gender neutral items for the big stuff, and nursery so they could be used multiple times. It drives me nuts when people plan to have more then one child and by all gender specific items for their first, like strollers, pack and plays, bouncy seats, swings, etc.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    First, you shouldn't be giving yourself either party/shower. If someone else wants to do something for you, then it's a little different. I wouldn't do a gender reveal party past the first child. The first is a bigger deal for your family than the rest, especially if it's the first grandchild. Also it depends on how close everyone is. In some families it might be a big deal, and some it won't be. A diaper shower for the second is okay, but again only if someone else offers to do it. It just seems attention seeking and gift grabby if you do something like those two things yourself. I agree with one of the previous posters about a meet the baby party after it's born. That's something you could do yourself without it being odd to celebrate the new baby.
  • Options
    DH and I have discussed possibly having a family (our parents, siblings and DH's grandmother) dinner and doing a gender reveal then.  Not a party really, but just dinner and dessert and the reveal.  This is our second LO.  We have no plans for a shower and do not expect gifts at the gender reveal.  I don't think I would have a huge one with friends, but the idea of doing a family one is okay with me.

I have personally never been invited to a gender reveal.  I am not so sure I would go to one either, unless it was a very close friend or family member.

I do have a friend who is pregnant with her second LO.  For both of her pregnancies, she had a diaper party, baby shower and then another type of shower (her SO is Laotian).  So, basically 3 showers for each baby.  She also has 1/2 year bday parties.  I seriously side eye her and do not attend all the extras.  The baby shower and normal bdays, yes, but all that other stuff no.

• Options
    Darbie914 said:

Keep it simple.  If you want to do something special, just have a small dinner with your immediate family and have a cake at the end with blue or pink icing inside.
    ITA with all of this, especially the bolded.  If you are going to do some kind of reveal, please also not find out the sex until the same time.  It is so annoying when the parents know the sex but decide to keep it a secret so they can have a reveal party/cake/balloons in box/whatever.  
    We are doing something similar with the cake to reveal.  We also may just have the doctor put the sex in an envelope and it be a surprise to us also.  Not sure yet.

• Options
    Oh honey. That is soooo not what I meant. Every child is a gift and a blessing, and they should be treated as such. But people don't make as big a deal out of the subsequent children.

Like with the baby shower thing. The first baby people always have at least one baby shower, but after that you don't hear of people having a full-blown baby shower for the second. After the first people adopt a been-there-done-that attitude. They get excited about it and want to know all about it, but they don't do as much as with the first.

Kinda like the saying that when your first child drops a pacifier you take it home and boil and sanitize it. The second you wipe it off with a wet wipe. The third you just hand it back to them. Did I explain it better this time? I really didn't mean for what I posted earlier to sound that way. Trust me, my mindset and thought processes about children couldn't be farther from how it sounded. I'm on here trying to distract myself from all-day sickness and I'm apparently foggier than I thought.

As far as the diaper shower, it's something that I guess is a regional thing. I live in the southeast and we have them all the time for mothers having subsequent children. Most of the time a mother already has everything else, so the only thing she really needs are diapers, wipes, etc. Of course if someone wants to bring an outfit or something it's gratefully accepted, but no one expects more than diapers or wipes.
  • Options
    I personally would never go to someones gender reveal. I think it's just another excuse for someone to thow a party that no one cares about. Only family cares. I wouldn't waste other people's time with it.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    I always thought a baby shower was to help a mother (because a woman is a mother from the second the baby is conceived, not just when the baby is born, IMO) prepare for a baby and to celebrate the new life she is carrying. Friends and family buy gifts of clothes and such to help her out and they give them to her at a party where they celebrate the baby.

So I guess we just have a difference of opinion on the purpose of baby showers. I've always wondered why people consider it tacky to do more for the subsequent children, and I guess more people think like you do than like I do. That would explain why I see it as people in general not making as big a deal out of the subsequent children.

And I would hope so! I was just using the saying as an example of how I view people's attitudes towards second and up children. I hate it when people just give their kids something that's been on the floor without cleaning it. You have no idea what's been on that floor. That's nasty.
  • Options
    Really? Are we all this self-involved now? I have seen this from others who have gotten preggo recently and while it makes for a cute picture IMO it's ridiculous. Get over yourselves ladies!
    If you think you deserve a gift simply because it's a boy or girl how about turning it into a time to give back. Do a food or diaper drive for those less fortunate if you insist on throwing yourself a party.
    So sick of Pinterest dictating what's acceptable these days.
  • Options
    Just have really tasty cake at the reveal party. That will probably be the highlight of the party for your guests.
    Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I honestly don't understand the hostility towards gender reveal parties or god forbid a second baby shower.

I always understood the baby shower as a shower for that baby not as a welcome to motherhood party.

If someone wants to throw you a second shower or gender reveal either politely say no thanks I don't want one or let them. People will know its a second child and buy gifts differently.

Also, sometimes a second shower is very appropriate. Example my cousin had a baby in high school then many years later had a baby with her husband. She had a baby shower for both. DH was invited too. It was not Awish or tacky.

Also your guests are not obligated to go or buy you a gift.

So if you don't want one or think they are stupid, don't have one or don't go to one.

Same with gender reveal. I won't have one but if someone invited me I'd probably go. I'd go to a second shower too and I only bring gifts if I'm financially able at the time.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't heard much about gender reveal parties so I never knew how many people disliked them! 
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't heard much about gender reveal parties so I never knew how many people disliked them! 
    Luckie519's idea of parents and siblings over for dinner with a cake cutting at dessert is a sweet idea.  Smaller, quieter, not all about attention, but focused on the people who will truly be involved in child's life.  It sounds lovely.
    Thanks.  While I think our friends care about our baby, I think they don't really care enough about the gender to come to a party.  LOL.  Our parents and siblings most definitely care and have been there for our losses, so they are really excited.  :)

• Options
    Darbie914 said:
    1)  If you are already a Mom, you shouldn't be concerned with having another baby shower.  Baby showers are to welcome a woman into motherhood and since you already have a child, you are a mother.  

2)  Gender reveal parties are, in my opinion, completely AWish and a waste of time.  I can understand the MTB and FTB being super excited to know what the sex of their baby is.  But trust me when I tell you this, no one else is as excited as you guys are.  People will be happy and excited for you whether you tell them the sex via text, email, phone, FB, whatever.  What I find annoying is having this huge party just to say "We're having a boy/girl!".  Great!  Now what? 

Keep it simple.  If you want to do something special, just have a small dinner with your immediate family and have a cake at the end with blue or pink icing inside.
    I agree that you shouldn't be having a second shower since you are already a mother.  If someone offers to host one for you, you should politely decline it.

The bolded above is all I would consider if I was thinking about doing anything with the gender of my baby. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    I think a gender reveal party is an awesome idea. It seems like other people on the post disagree, but I think it is such a cute idea.

We are going to have the doctor write down on paper and put in an envelope. Then I'm taking to my baker to make cupcakes. She will be the only one to know until the party. There wil be team pink and team blue and everyone will guess what they think the baby is. Then we will all bite into the cupcakes and find out together. Possibly even reveal the name. We are only inviting a handful of family and close friends. I think it's such a fun idea.

My SIL is also throwing me a shower closer to my due date. I am a first time mom. Like they said the reveal party there should not be gifts.
  • Options
    I personally believe that creating an event to get together & celebrate (gender reveal)before life gets hectic is a great idea. Between the m/s, doctor appointments & preparing for baby, it can't be too ridiculous to want to sit with family & enjoy each others company. It is also a rare time where family can feel apart of the pregnancy, when you all find out the awaited gender together.On a much personal note, I am the eldest of 7 children & the eldest grandchild & married at 18 & only now at 27 have I finally become pregnant.I don't know the future; it is very plausible that God forbid it may take me another 9 years to conceive or have a baby.With that being said when I'm not consumed with worry,I intend to celebrate every triumph or memorable moment. A gender reveal party sounds so cute, especially since my MIL has 6 children & only her daughter has bore her grandchildren & they're both boys. You can understand why the family is loudly rooting for a girl,& although I just want a happy baby I really want to share the moment with them. By the way I'm not expecting gifts or a huge party or friends, more like family & a potluck & some balloons in pink & blue.I think it's a great opener to the baby shower & u could even use pics. from the reveal to announce the gender & invite to friends.
  • Options
    Mariposa1616Mariposa1616 member
    edited August 2013
    As I said friends wouldn't be invited & it's actually just the opposite in my case, if u didn't read it has taken me over 9 years suffering with infertility. Teaches own, but in my immediate in law family where we get together to celebrate someone back to college part 2, or off to the military, or home for the holidays or from a break from the military. This is huge news, I'm going to be Frank & say I have every reason to self indulge, & if I have love ones who also are ecstatic for me & want to celebrate why would I argue. Again that's me!!! People throw pity parties all the time for trivial things, why not rejoice for one day??? The harm it would cause for a family that tells me Yes!!! About time, more than deserve to be happy & cooking or bringing a meal, for dinner isn't a chore, when u enjoy someone's company.....it's typical called dinner!!!
    Joy2611 said:

I personally believe that creating an event to get together & celebrate (gender reveal)before life gets hectic is a great idea. Between the m/s, doctor appointments & preparing for baby, it can't be too ridiculous to want to sit with family & enjoy each others company. It is also a rare time where family can feel apart of the pregnancy, when you all find out the awaited gender together.On a much personal note, I am the eldest of 7 children & the eldest grandchild & married at 18 & only now at 27 have I finally become pregnant.I don't know the future; it is very plausible that God forbid it may take me another 9 years to conceive or have a baby.With that being said when I'm not consumed with worry,I intend to celebrate every triumph or memorable moment. A gender reveal party sounds so cute, especially since my MIL has 6 children & only her daughter has bore her grandchildren & they're both boys. You can understand why the family is loudly rooting for a girl,& although I just want a happy baby I really want to share the moment with them. By the way I'm not expecting gifts or a huge party or friends, more like family & a potluck & some balloons in pink & blue.I think it's a great opener to the baby shower & u could even use pics. from the reveal to announce the gender & invite to friends.

I am truly being sincere and not snarky when I say this: not everyone wants to squee over every milestone of your pregnancy.  It's a bit self-indulgent to assume so.  I'm not saying that on the surface everything that you're saying sounds sweet and homey.  But, in reality, asking your friends to celebrate that you're pregnant, that you're having a girl, that you're having a shower, that the baby is born is just too much.  In this world where modesty is all but forgotten, it's good to take a step back and see things from an alternate perspective.  Everyone can be happy without needing to jump up and down at each and every step along the way, ya know?  Especially if you're asking them to bring their own meals a la potluck at your celebratory parties.

• Options
    While I agree that baby showers for second kids are tacky except in exceptional circumstances, I don't understand the hostility towards gender reveal parties. Some people really like parties. I personally don't like throwing parties because I'm too lazy to clean and plan and everything that goes into it, but I love going to parties. If a friend invited me to a gender reveal party I would look at it as a chance to have fun and go to a party, and as a fun bonus find out whether my friend was having a boy or girl. It's not a gift giving event so I really don't think it's tacky. It's just for fun. If people don't want to go, they can gracefully decline just like you can for pretty much any other party invite you receive. And while it's true that only the parents to be and maybe grandparents will be the ones THAT excited to find out, it doesn't mean others can't still have fun with it and enjoy a fun party. *shrug*
  • Options
    How about a Sip N See after baby is born?

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options

Just about everyone I know with multiple kids has had a baby shower for each child.  We are not planning on having one for our second, as they are less than two years apart and we have everything we need.  But I think a lot depends on the age gap and if baby #2 is a different gender. 

For the gender reveal, I have only seen this done at a baby shower or online in a cute way.  I have never attended a gender reveal party.  For my first, I made cupcakes with pink on the inside to take to work.  They had to bite into or cut into the cupcake to see the pink.  It was fun and over quickly so it wasn't disruptive.  Other than that... we just said "it's a girl" on Facebook, and told our close friends and family in person or over the phone.  I think with our second I will probably do something similar with Oreos and take them to work.  I'm too tired to bake cupcakes now.  LOL!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I understand the whole "transition" thing, but personally I feel that mothers should be able to have a shower for each child. There doesn't have to be extensive gift giving! It should be a celebration of the new baby. You can make it a "shower" of some small object... Socks, books, hugs, whatever. It's not about the money. Have fun with whatever you choose :)
  • Options
    We did a gender reveal but it was at a already planned family gathering (Easter dinner) so we just brought the cake with pink or blue icing in the middle and whoever wanted to know watched us cut into it because we didn't know either.

Just something small and cute, the cake was homemade by a friend who I knew wouldn't tell me.

I would have not done this normally and didn't with my first 2, but this is my last kiddo and the first time we are near family while pregnant.

• Options
    I am a firm believer that every child should have some sort of celebration. If this baby is a different sex than your first - I say go for a full shower - you need different things (clothes) and I would incorporate the gender reveal with it - like the cake is pink or blue - i love the idea of the pics on balloons. Make a weekend out of it - we did this for my sister's third baby and it was a blast. On Friday night we all got together and had the cake and found out it was a girl - on Sunday (we gave people a chance to shop) we had the shower as planned - it was smaller than her first shower (just family) but it was special.
  • Options
    I am a firm believer that every child should have some sort of celebration. If this baby is a different sex than your first - I say go for a full shower - you need different things (clothes) and I would incorporate the gender reveal with it - like the cake is pink or blue - i love the idea of the pics on balloons. Make a weekend out of it - we did this for my sister's third baby and it was a blast. On Friday night we all got together and had the cake and found out it was a girl - on Sunday (we gave people a chance to shop) we had the shower as planned - it was smaller than her first shower (just family) but it was special.
    Yeah, squeeze every penny you can out of your friends and family! Sheesh, entitled much?
    Um - No nothing to do with entitlement! It's family and that's what we do!
  • Options
    As I said friends wouldn't be invited & it's actually just the opposite in my case, if u didn't read it has taken me over 9 years suffering with infertility. Teaches own, but in my immediate in law family where we get together to celebrate someone back to college part 2, or off to the military, or home for the holidays or from a break from the military. This is huge news, I'm going to be Frank & say I have every reason to self indulge, & if I have love ones who also are ecstatic for me & want to celebrate why would I argue. Again that's me!!! People throw pity parties all the time for trivial things, why not rejoice for one day??? The harm it would cause for a family that tells me Yes!!! About time, more than deserve to be happy & cooking or bringing a meal, for dinner isn't a chore, when u enjoy someone's company.....it's typical called dinner!!!

To each his own.

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    This is terrible advice.  Celebrate every baby, certainly, but the best way to do that is when the baby has actually been born, usually with a meet the baby party.  It is certainly possible to celebrate the baby without milking friends and family for gifts.

You also don't need new clothes if your second child is a different sex.  I promise you, baby doesn't care if the onesie she poops on is pink, blue, purple, or green.  If you do justify having the shower because your LO will be permanently scarred by not wearing pink, hosting the gender reveal at a shower kind of defeats the purpose of getting gender-specific gifts as well, KWIM?

Just. Say. No.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I'm going to disagree with most of this ribbon. In my world and our church second-and-above-time mothers don't really ask for a shower, but we throw them anyway. We like to celebrate every child like it's the first, because it's a unique and special being. True, the presents are usually different. They run more towards toys and books and gifts for the older siblings (we celebrate them as well; it's a big transition for them, too!). So I guess they're more transition parties than outright showers, but we call them showers anyway. Showers of loooooove! *cheesy grin*

And I think this is great. A lot of my friends are on their second third or fourth kid, and all of them say they felt more overwhelmed after their second was born than they did with their first. Plus, if the second baby is a different gender than the first, or it's been more than a few years between births the moms have usually given away much of their baby stuff, so a shower can be more necessary than you might imagine.

As far as a gender reveal party? As much as I'm in favor of baby showers, I find them insufferably awkward as it is, and wouldn't enjoy attending a GRP. What a friend of mine did, which I thought was great, was had a earlier than usual baby shower (around 24 weeks), waited until then to do a gender reveal and find out the sex themselves, and had the cake at the shower dyed pink so that when they served it at the shower everyone found out and was excited. That was pretty cool. But you'd have to be ok with waiting a bit to know the gender, and getting non-gender specific stuff at your shower.

My two cents, so take it for what it's worth.

B-)
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options
    maganonymousmaganonymous member
    edited August 2013
    I didn't read all of the posts, so I'm not sure if this has already been said. I agree with other posters about not having a shower for a second baby--especially if you are hosting it. Also, reading some of the posts has changed my mind about gender reveal parties. We were planning to have one when the time comes, but I think it would maybe be best if we just had a dinner party with close friends and family--the ones who really care and would be excited to go to a party like that anyway. My husband really likes the gender reveal cakes, so we will probably do one of those.

For a second child, I really like the concept of a sip-and-see. It's not a gift giving event, so I would even say it is appropriate to host yourself. It's like a brunch with mimosas, or a cocktail party that you would have after the child is born. It's a fun get-together with friends and family, and everyone loves to hold a new baby!

• Options
    I understand the whole "transition" thing, but personally I feel that mothers should be able to have a shower for each child. There doesn't have to be extensive gift giving! It should be a celebration of the new baby. You can make it a "shower" of some small object... Socks, books, hugs, whatever. It's not about the money. Have fun with whatever you choose :)
    Again, the purpose of a shower is to "shower" the new mother with gifts...If you throw a baby shower, people are expected to guy gifts, no matter how big or small. If second showers are something that your social group is comfortable with, fine. However, expect that people that you invite to any subsequent showers to not show up or think it's tacky.

Babies can be celebrated without demanding gifts from people. Hence a gender reveal, a meet the baby or sip 'n see. If people choose to bring gifts, then that's on them. You're not asking for the gift. Yes - each child should be celebrated. But just because you have a second+ baby doesn't mean that people should be obligated to buy you stuff.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    FYI

It's sex, not gender.

Biological anatomy vs. psychological construct

Two very different things
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know that when you post a question on a message board that you are subjecting yourself to all sorts of criticisms and opinions, but these replies are seriously over the top. The whole point of these message boards are for a means of support and an outlet for us. I know we're all going to have different opinions, and that's a very wonderful thing, but these posts are straight up attacking someone for a thought, an opinion, a question... and mostly, just reflecting an idea among like people. Say what you will and "to each their own" but this is completely out of control.

I'm pregnant for the first time, and really thought I wanted to do a GRP, but clearly, everyone hates them. This post completely changed my thoughts on that. What I thought would be a celebration (I mean hey, you're supplying the food the booze, all they have to do is show up and have a good time, right? Wrong, apparently) is apparently an obligation for others and is self-indulgent for the parents. I get it, but I certainly did not realize it was viewed that way until after this post. I would have and still would love to attend a GRP, but I am certainly in the minority on that one!

Showers for a second baby are usually called "sprinkles" and are always hosted by a friend/family member. Usually the gifts are very small or sometimes the group gets together to buy one nice gift. I've noticed them mostly with someone who's pregnant with multiples for a second birth or pregnant with a different gender. THERE ARE NO RULES, JUST GUIDELINES AND WE BREAK THEM ALL THE TIME. So girl, have your cake and eat it too. I hope you do exactly what you want and use these posts as nothing but entertainment.

BabyFruit Ticker

Check out my pregnancy blog: http://www.picklesforbreakfast.com

• Options
    edited August 2013
    @imakeeff0rts

I actually appreciate this :) I like your stance and agree. My family is very excited about new babies, so my mom loves showers... But this is not the case for everyone. Thanks for the insight :)
  • Options

I know that when you post a question on a message board that you are subjecting yourself to all sorts of criticisms and opinions, but these replies are seriously over the top. The whole point of these message boards are for a means of support and an outlet for us. I know we're all going to have different opinions, and that's a very wonderful thing, but these posts are straight up attacking someone for a thought, an opinion, a question... and mostly, just reflecting an idea among like people. Say what you will and "to each their own" but this is completely out of control.

I'm pregnant for the first time, and really thought I wanted to do a GRP, but clearly, everyone hates them. This post completely changed my thoughts on that. What I thought would be a celebration (I mean hey, you're supplying the food the booze, all they have to do is show up and have a good time, right? Wrong, apparently) is apparently an obligation for others and is self-indulgent for the parents. I get it, but I certainly did not realize it was viewed that way until after this post. I would have and still would love to attend a GRP, but I am certainly in the minority on that one!

Showers for a second baby are usually called "sprinkles" and are always hosted by a friend/family member. Usually the gifts are very small or sometimes the group gets together to buy one nice gift. I've noticed them mostly with someone who's pregnant with multiples for a second birth or pregnant with a different gender. THERE ARE NO RULES, JUST GUIDELINES AND WE BREAK THEM ALL THE TIME. So girl, have your cake and eat it too. I hope you do exactly what you want and use these posts as nothing but entertainment.

indeed thanks for saying, personally me sharing my thoughts & getting attacked & down right grammatically corrected is so over the top.I actually find that more self indulgent than a gender reveal. I'm piggy back riding your post because it was beautifully accurate. I can not believe how over opinionated & self righteous ppl. have the nerve to be, not changing my mind, but it sure gave me something to laugh about. Pregnant women who are condemning another pregnant woman's choice on their child......The Nerve!!!

• Options
    @imakeeff0rts I actually appreciate this :) I like your stance and agree. My family is very excited about new babies, so my mom loves showers... But this is not the case for everyone. Thanks for the insight :)
    Any time.

indeed thanks for saying, personally me sharing my thoughts & getting attacked & down right grammatically corrected is so over the top.I actually find that more self indulgent than a gender reveal. I'm piggy back riding your post because it was beautifully accurate. I can not believe how over opinionated & self righteous ppl. have the nerve to be, not changing my mind, but it sure gave me something to laugh about. Pregnant women who are condemning another pregnant woman's choice on their child......The Nerve!!!
    It's the internet. People can respond however they wish. If you're that sensitive about an internet stranger's opinion, then the internet isn't the place for you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"