Baby Names
Options

We are down to two girl names - well three if you ask DH.

RedDDDRedDDD member
edited August 2013 in Baby Names
Let me know your thoughts if you have them too :)
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

We are down to two girl names - well three if you ask DH. 184 votes

Whitney Grace (DH #1 choice)
40% 74 votes
Hazel Grace (my #1 choice)
42% 79 votes
Lainey (MN? Grace or Rose) this is DH's idea....not a huge fan
16% 31 votes

Re: We are down to two girl names - well three if you ask DH.

• Options
    Hazel is so pretty and underused. Every Whitney I've ever known I have not been a fan of. Lainey sounds more like a nn than a full name.
  • Options
    I agree. I prefer Hazel. Underused, feminine and beautiful. Good luck! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I voted Hazel but Grace is such a filler mn...
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• Options
    I like Hazel and Whitney, but prefer Whitney. So underused!
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    stahlopstahlop member
    edited August 2013
    I don't understand the appeal of Hazel, it just sounds so ugly to me. I like Whitney. I grew up with a Whitney and I think it's a very pretty name.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I voted Hazel but Grace is such a filler mn...
    I kind of agree here but I really love the name and wanted it for a first name but DH vetoed it so Im settling for MN.  I just haven't come up with a different MN that I like more
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Normally I would say I like the name Hazel better than Whitney, but something about Hazel Grace is not sitting right with me. Maybe something about the flow. Whitney Grace just sounds better in my head.

Lainey sounds like a nickname.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Love Whitney.  Refreshing to see. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hazel Grace is lovely! Gmv!
    Me-Caciona (30) DH- Dave (41) 9/27/08
    Mommy to Nils David since 9/21/11
    Expecting Serafina Ann  around 4/23/2014

• Options
    Don't care for Hazel or Whitney. I love Delaney nn Laney. Had it on my list but DH didn't like it...
  • Options
    Hazel, then Lainey, then Whitney. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I adore Whitney. I think it's so pretty, crosses all ages and is underused.

Everyone I know in my real life lately is using Hazel. I'm kind of over it right now.

• Options
    Hazel Grace is the name of the main character in John Green's beautifully sad YA novel, "The Fault in Our Stars", soon to be a major motion picture starring Shailene Woodley (who is apparently starring in half the teen movies coming out next year).

I love the book.  I love the name.  After the movie comes out, I will expect everyone who uses this combo to be fans of John Green.

I don't care for Whitney.

Lainey is cute, but it is strictly a nn for me.
  • Options
    Hazel by far. Lainey is too cutesy for me. And I know this is unusual, but my BIL is named Whitney, from back when it was still sort of a unisex name, so it sounds weird on a girl to me now, even though I grew up with girl Whitneys.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    Whitney just sounds dated to me (very 80's).  I knew a few growing up (I'm 33) so I feel like it's similar to Amy and Jenny in the fact that though they are pretty, not enough time has passed for me to feel that they are appealing yet.

Hazel is beautiful, love it.   The flow with Grace is fine to me.

Lainey feels like a nickname to me and I don't like it as a stand alone.  If you were debating between Hazel and Delaney.....I would still probably pick Hazel but it would be a close race :)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Love love love Lainey. I prefer this spelling too. My parents named their lab this and I have been in love with it ever since. (I don't think it at all sounds like a pet name though....much more suitable for a human IMO) It is way more refreshing than your other two in the running. I really think you should listen to DH and make this a top contender! Hazel is just meh for me, and I strongly dislike Whitney.

• Options
    Whitney feels like an 80s name to me. Lainey seems too cutesy (and/or makes me think of She's All That)
  • Options
    How about Hazel Whitney? or Whitney Hazel? Of these options it's Grace that's blah to me.

• Options
    daisy662 said:

Don't care for Hazel or Whitney. I love Delaney nn Laney. Had it on my list but DH didn't like it...

I'm here on this issue.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mh89mh89 member
    kaylynne said:

Hazel Grace is the name of the main character in John Green's beautifully sad YA novel, "The Fault in Our Stars", soon to be a major motion picture starring Shailene Woodley (who is apparently starring in half the teen movies coming out next year).

I love the book.  I love the name.  After the movie comes out, I will expect everyone who uses this combo to be fans of John Green.

I don't care for Whitney.

Lainey is cute, but it is strictly a nn for me.

This. Hazel Grace in TFIOS is a girl dying from cancer. It's a lovely name and a great character and book, but something to think about if you go with that name.

Whitney is dated to me and Lainey only works as a nn for Elaine.

image image

• Options
    I am not a fan of the name Hazel at all. It's not a name I would ever use! 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    Whitney Grace is so pretty! Has my vote
  • Options
    I like Whitney because it's underused and classic. I'm not a fan of a Grace either, but I get your reasoning behind it. I love Lainey because it seems like a cute NN for Elaine. Laina?
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"