Adoption

Adoption/Fostering Check-In ~ August 27th

Another week has passed and it's time again for a check in to see where everyone is at! 

We have had a couple new people pop out on the board and we want to welcome you with open arms!
Just as a reminder for all people who read this, the Adoption board is for ANYONE in the Triad of Adoption (Expectant Mom/Birth Mom, Adoptee, Adoptive Mom) so please keep asking questions and getting to know all of us here! 

If there is a birth mom/expectant mom out there, we would love to get your feedback on the questions we ask. We want for you to participate as well in the weekly check in. Please PM me so we can discuss questions that I can add to this! 

1) What type of adoption/fostering are you currently doing? Where are you in the process? 

2) What is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two on the adoption/fostering front? Also, what is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two outside of the adoption/fostering world? 

3) Do you have any concerns/frustrations this week? 

4) What is something that helps you through the whole process? If you have completed the process, looking back what got you through all the crazy, long times?

5) Overall, how are you feeling? 

6) What's your favorite meal to cook in the fall? Share a recipe if you feel like it!

7) What is one wish you have right now... first one to come to mind! 
Began the Adoption process 4/2013
Home study Approved 12/2013
.... and the wait begins! 

Re: Adoption/Fostering Check-In ~ August 27th

• 1) What type of adoption/fostering are you currently doing? Where are you in the process? 
    I am a birth mom (at this point I'm kind of liking the phrase first mom because it seems more appropriate and easier on everyone involved) so of course domestic.  I did paperwork with the agency this week and if it makes you all feel any better we have a TON to fill out as well. I chose a family I'd love my baby to be placed with and am waiting to hear back if the family also chooses me and my baby.

2) What is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two on the adoption/fostering front? Also, what is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two outside of the adoption/fostering world? 
    Finding the family. The connection I felt to them made me feel like something really amazing may truly come from this mess I've made of my life.

I am worried the family won't want my baby because no one else spoke to me like they did.

4) What is something that helps you through the whole process? If you have completed the process, looking back what got you through all the crazy, long times?
    This week, this forum has actually helped a ton. I didn't realize how badly I needed some comradery.

Still scared and emotional, but much, much better.

6) What's your favorite meal to cook in the fall? Share a recipe if you feel like it!
    Cannellini Beans in the crock pot!

That this baby could have come under different circumstances and timing so that I could keep it and be a Mommy. That can't be done, so I hope to set things up with a really amazing family that will give him or her a great life.
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • 1) What type of adoption/fostering are you currently doing? Where are you in the process?
    Foster to adopt 18m-4yo male

We finally have our PRIDE training set up, it will be all month (2-3x a week) September. So excited since I have been a bit sad about being in limbo. Also the trainer is our case person and said he would get us through the rest of the process as quick as possible :)
    Non foster related we went to Toronto (my hometown) for the weekend to celebrate my aunt's 50th (and my 28th, we are birthday twins).

Not foster related (other than reading so much negative on the foster support board) but my DS has been such a handful the past few days I sometimes question how I will handle 2 when I feel like I am such a crappy mom to 1 most times.

Knowing that eventually it will be over and we will have a child but the thought of getting attached and them being sent back to their parents is terrifying.

I have been feeling blah this week. I am excited to start training but everything is snail pace and I don't even have confidence in my self as a mom anymore and am so scared that I will be doing this child a disservice by taking them in.

6) What's your favorite meal to cook in the fall? Share a recipe if you feel like it!
    I like to make vegan shepherds pie. I use morningstar crumbles, a can of veggies and mashed potatoes (veggie broth instead of milk and butter) and bake in a loaf.

For the professor I emailed to email me back about possibly starting my Ph.D.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DIA - waiting to start the home study meetings... still! 

No YAY moments in our adoption world!
    Outside of adoption a YAY moment would be spending this past weekend with my mom and dad. We live an hour from them, but I was missing my mom like CRAZY the past couple of weeks, so we went up this past weekend and it was exactly what I needed! My mom knows exactly how to make me feel better! 

Waiting to get this home study scheduled is starting to get to me. We just saw our worker on the 19th at our classes we had to take, and she told me she'd contact us that week and get it scheduled... well, I'm still waiting! It's just been tough, I'm not very patient and I realize this is and I just need to find something else to keep me busy. It's hot and humid outside so all I want to do is stay in the AC and do nothing :) 

Cleaning the house, rearranging things has been getting me through this past week and a half. We also have been talking about planning the baby's room. Not doing anything for it yet, but we want to do a few things in there and it's great to have our plan of attack for it. 

Blahzeeh - I know it's not a word but I'm just in a funky mood lately! 

6) What's your favorite meal to cook in the fall? Share a recipe if you feel like it!
    I love to cook roasted root vegtables in the fall.

That this process doesn't take a long time... 
    Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

Domestic Infant Adoption- 30 day wait to final TPR expires at 11:59pm tonight.

Inside: We had a BBQ with some of the birth family on Saturday.
    Outside: I am a finalist for a Dean position.

I really need the TPR to be over. I'm also concerned about the unknown birth father, and we're taking an 8 hour one-way road trip to visit family tomorrow.

Meditation, yoga, just venting and finally figuring out what my anxiety was vs. what was a real worry.

Right now? Ill. I forgot to take my glucophage (PCOS) for about a week and then I tried to start again at the dose I stopped at. Bad plan.

Oh anything in a crockpot.

That TPR revocation period is over.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1) What type of adoption/fostering are you currently doing? Where are you in the process?  DIA.  We had our last homestudy visit on Monday, just waiting for it to be finalized (the social worker told us we are "approved").

2) What is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two on the adoption/fostering front? Also, what is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two outside of the adoption/fostering world?  We are all done with our paperwork and interviews - YAY!  College football is starting this week - YAY!

3) Do you have any concerns/frustrations this week?  None, just anxious about the wait to be matched.

4) What is something that helps you through the whole process? If you have completed the process, looking back what got you through all the crazy, long times?  Visiting this forum helps.  Still so early in the process it hasn't been too hard yet.

5) Overall, how are you feeling?  Overall, great!  Just ready to get our profile out there! Nervous that it will take a long time for a match, worried that we won't be prepared if it happens quickly!

6) What's your favorite meal to cook in the fall? Share a recipe if you feel like it!  Chili, Fire-roasted Tomato soup, Crawfish etoufee

7) What is one wish you have right now... first one to come to mind! I wish we get a baby soon!
    Geaux Tigers!
    Me (35) DH (34) TTC #1 since 09/2009
    Dx: Unexplained IF 

12/10 Clomid + IUI #1 - BFN; 2/11 Clomid + IUI #2 - BFN; 5/11 Clomid + IUI #3 - BFN; 8/11 Injectables + TI - BFN; 10/11 Injectables + IUI - BFN; 11/12 IVF - BFN; 08/13 Pursuing Domestic Infant Adoption02/16/14 Baby girl is home!!
  •  
    1) What type of adoption/fostering are you currently doing? Where are you in the process? 
    We are starting the process to become foster parents. We had our initial application approved and start MAPP classes next week. 

2) What is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two on the adoption/fostering front? We start MAPP classes next week!
    Also, what is a "YAY" moment from the last week or two outside of the adoption/fostering world? 
    I work with our church's school partnership ministry and pulled off another back-to-school luncheon for the faculty and staff at the school we sponsor. I was very pleased with how it all turned out. 

3) Do you have any concerns/frustrations this week? Just getting overwhelmed with the start of a new school year and the slow pace of the process of fostering. 

4) What is something that helps you through the whole process? Just
    Just focusing on other things in my life - especially my daughter who is just amazing and wonderful. 
    5) Overall, how are you feeling? Ok. Stressed, but excited about all the new things beginning, even if it's all starting at once!

6) What's your favorite meal to cook in the fall? I don't really have a favorite meal at the moment. I did just use a recipe last week for black bean and spinach enchiladas that included homemade enchilada sauce. The enchiladas were okay, but the sauce was really good and pretty easy. I'll be using it again. 

7) What is one wish you have right now... first one to come to mind! For my husband's job to calm down so the rest of our family can calm down, too.
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • 1. We are doing DIA and are at the very beginning. We are waiting in our info packet to start our profile.

2. We officially decided and signed paperwork with our Attorney/program.

3. Not this week.

4. The process isn't frustrating yet. We started early anticipating a 12-18 months wait because we have a bio dd. DD is 14 months, so anywhere between 9-18 months would be good timing. I'm sure that once our profile starts being shown ( or doesn't get shown) it will be more frustrating.

5. I'm feeling excited. It was a hard decision to not try for another biological child (we dealt with IF and then DD was born at 27 weeks and weighed 1lb, 11oz) because there were so many "what ifs" with both options. But, now that we've decided and started telling people, I'm really excited about it.

6. Soups. All kinds of soups!
    7. I can't think of one under pressure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"