Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Cereal

What's everyone's opinions on cereal before six months? Did you give your LO cereal before or did you wait?

Re: Cereal

• Options
    There are arguments to be made for 4 months and 6 months but it isn't something anyone on the 0-3 board should be considering at all unless it's for reflux and recommended by a doctor.  Personally, we did cereal around 5 months with DS1.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Rice cereal shouldn't be fed ever, even for reflux.  More and more studies are showing it can cause diabetes and there are just empty calories.  There are other ways now to deal with relux.  My doctor basically said she can't think of a situation where she'd recommend a parent feed a baby of any age rice cereal anymore.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No cereal for us either and no solids before 6 mo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I will probably skip cereal, and do no solids until 6mo. After that, we'll start with avocado, banana, sweet potato, etc., and then DD will just eat (play with...) what we eat.
  • Options
    JCWhitey said:
    Rice cereal shouldn't be fed ever, even for reflux.  More and more studies are showing it can cause diabetes and there are just empty calories.  There are other ways now to deal with relux.  My doctor basically said she can't think of a situation where she'd recommend a parent feed a baby of any age rice cereal anymore.
    Links?  I'd be interested to read those.  I haven't dealt with reflux but it seems valid that some kids need more weight and substance in their liquid diet to keep it from flying up their throat.

• Options
    Ok I just did some googling and found that it's specific to babies already genetically at risk for diabetes - not across the board.  However these two statements are fairly contradictory, only leaving a two month window of time to "safely" introduce cereal. 

The research showed that cereal introduction before four months of age increased the risk four times of developing diabetes autoimmunity, or the antibodies that are the precursor to type 1 diabetes. 

Research also showed children who were not given cereal until after six months of age were five times more likely to develop diabetes autoimmunity.

• Options
    elmoali said:
    Ok I just did some googling and found that it's specific to babies already genetically at risk for diabetes - not across the board.  However these two statements are fairly contradictory, only leaving a two month window of time to "safely" introduce cereal. 

The research showed that cereal introduction before four months of age increased the risk four times of developing diabetes autoimmunity, or the antibodies that are the precursor to type 1 diabetes. 

Research also showed children who were not given cereal until after six months of age were five times more likely to develop diabetes autoimmunity.
    Not sure what sources you were finding.  Look up Dr. Greer and the AAP article from 2009.  I'm not able to find it right now but that's the hand out my doctor gave me to me. 

We don't have reflux issues so I never learned what my doctor would recommend for that.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"