Homeschooling
Options

State Regulations on Homeschooling

I was looking at my states regulations on homeschooling, as I may decide to homeschool my son (and future baby/babies), when I discovered a few things.

They require that the parent has a teaching certificate or Bachelor's degree. But they do not require you to register your child with the district as homeschooled. They also require specific subjects (and it states for which grades), but do not require any testing except what the parent chooses.

Because of this, I'm a bit confused. I don't have a teaching certificate or BA, and won't before my son is school-aged. Could I get into trouble from straying from their rules?

What are the laws like where you are?
DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

Re: State Regulations on Homeschooling

• Options
    What state are you in?

I'm in Ohio and our regulations aren't too strict, but also aren't too lenient.  There are no requirements on education for the parent and you are able to let people other than the parent homeschool your children.

We are required to notify the state of our intent to homeschool every year.  Technically, we aren't asking for permission, but just notifying, however we still have to get a stamp of approval from the local superintendent, so it still feels like seeking approval to me.  When you notify you have to provide a rough outline of your curriculum and materials you will be using.  Then, the next year when you notify, you have to provide an assessment - either a written portfolio that is checked by a certified teacher or scores from a standardized test.  If your child falls below a 25% on the test, the superintendent can request remediation.

We are lucky in Ohio that we are not required to log hours or anything.  It could be a lot worse for us.

• Options
    I'm in Michigan, and while I read this "requirement", it also said I would not have to notify the schools unless I used any of their programs, and homeschool children are not required to take any testing dictated by the schools. So they are quite lenient it seems, which makes it odd to me that they would even have this requirement.
    DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Michigan is actually extremely lenient - it actually sounds pretty dreamy.  My DH's aunt homeschools her four kids there and she doesn't have a teaching license or bachelor's degree (although her husband does).  She did say that she feels there isn't enough oversight because she found many families that were not teaching their children adequately in her homeschooling circles.

From what I understand, you don't even have to notify at all.  So, you are only technically required to have the degree or license if you voluntarily notify, and even if you do, there are religious exemptions which can allow you to homeschool without the required degrees.

• Options
    CA has no requirements for parents, other than that you register with the state yearly as an independent private school, and you agree to instruct in certain subjects.

• Options
    I live in Michigan, and I understand why you're concerned.  From what I understand, the only reason you would need to have a Bachelor's or Teaching certificate is if you plan on receiving financial aid from the state.  The only reason you would qualify for that is if your child is disabled in some way.  I was just brushing up on the paperwork last night, so I know what sections you're referring to.

It does actually say on another section of that literate that you do NOT need any special degree to homeschool your child, just that you have to be the legal parent/guardian of the child.  So you're fine.  We're very lucky to live in a state that is so lenient on their guidelines and doesn't make a lot of hurdles to jump through.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Options

"The annual registering of a home school to the Michigan Department of

Education (MDE) is voluntary. It is not required unless the student has

special needs and is requesting special education services from the local

public school or intermediate school district. It is recommended that if

special education services will be requested, the parent first submit a

completed Nonpublic School Membership Report to MDE. "

"A parent or legal guardian that registers with MDE is qualified to teach

their child if they have a teaching certificate or a bachelor’s degree."

Exemption (f) Home School

380.1561(3)(f) states:

A child shall not be required to attend the public schools in the following cases:

(f) The child is being educated at the child's home by his or her parent or legal guardian in an organized educational program in the subject areas of reading, spelling, mathematics, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar.

If a home school family chooses to operate under exemption (f), the conditions listed below apply:

• The Michigan Department of Education plays no role with the home school family.
    • The home school family does not report as a nonpublic school to the Michigan Department of Education.
    • Intermediate and local school districts are responsible for interpreting and enforcing the Compulsory School Attendance Law.
    • There are no minimum qualifications for teachers except that they must be the parents or legal guardians of the children.
    • The home school family must provide "an organized educational program in the subject areas of reading, spelling mathematics, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar."

• Options
    Thanks @Ritzy19 ! That actually clears up a lot for me. :)
    DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

• Options
    You're welcome! Glad I could help

• Options
    I also live in Michigan and am just weeks away from finishing my Master's in Education.  I was shocked when I read the current Homeschooling requirements because when I was a child, and homeschooled, my father actually declined a job in Michigan because the laws regarding homeschooling were so tough.  My mother had her teaching certificate, but had let it laps and she would have been required to return to school and complete a huge number of education credits as well as renew her teaching license.

I am thrilled that Michigan is so lenient now!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    @ritzy19 citing state statutes like a BOSS. Nicely done!

• Options
    Haha! Thanks!! I felt kinda' badass myself. B-)

• Options
    TamaraR4 said:
    I also live in Michigan and am just weeks away from finishing my Master's in Education.  I was shocked when I read the current Homeschooling requirements because when I was a child, and homeschooled, my father actually declined a job in Michigan because the laws regarding homeschooling were so tough.  My mother had her teaching certificate, but had let it laps and she would have been required to return to school and complete a huge number of education credits as well as renew her teaching license.

I am thrilled that Michigan is so lenient now!
    From what I understand, there was some huge lawsuit or other and ever since then Michigan has been every homeschooler's dream. :) I grew up and was homeschooled there, but we moved to PA when I was in 11th grade and my brother was in 8th. Pennsylvania is one of the most pain-in-the-arse states to homeschool in right now. (No surprise there I guess ... I love this state but the government here won't even let grocery stores sell wine!) I'm not looking forward to dealing with it once my kids reach school age and am kind of hoping (without much hope) that it gets easier by then! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • Options
    Just because they are not actively tracking does not make it less illegal if the law requires a Bachelors or teaching cert. it might seem ridiculous but still illegal.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Just because they are not actively tracking does not make it less illegal if the law requires a Bachelors or teaching cert. it might seem ridiculous but still illegal.
    Except that it is not illegal.  You are only required to register by law if you are requesting special aid from the state of Michigan.  And you only have to have a Bachelor's or teaching degree if you register.

• Options

Except that it is not illegal.  You are only required to register by law if you are requesting special aid from the state of Michigan.  And you only have to have a Bachelor's or teaching degree if you register.

Thanks. I should have read the law myself before replying, all I read above was that it was required so my comment was based on the understanding that it was really a requirement.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"