Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Need opinions from new moms for my business

Hi new moms, I hope I'm allowed to ask this.  I'd like to get opinions from as many new moms as possible, so I thought I'd ask here.  I'm a newborn photographer and since starting my business, I've been doing my photography at people's homes.  After a few months of this, I'm debating whether it would be better do to my sessions out of my own home.  There are pro's and con's to each option.  Some advantages of doing it on location are:  1.  new parents can have sessions done in the comfort of their own home and don't have to travel anywhere 2.  in addition to posed pictures, I can take pictures of the family on their bed or couch or in their yard, etc.  The cons are that 1.  People have to move furniture to create a big enough space for my set up.  2.  I bring a ton of stuff with me 3.  People's houses are generally pretty messy right after bringing home a baby and don't want pictures of themselves or their house.  4.  Not everyone has good light in their house for pictures. 

The good things about doing it at my house are 1.  I have a room right inside my front door that gets awesome light and is large enough for 2 set ups and a couple chairs or couch. 2.  People don't have to prepare for the session.  3.  We don't waste session time on setting up b/c I can have it done clients arrive.  The bad parts are:  1.  I have 2 little boys so people might worry about visiting a germy house (I can block off and disinfect the room and have my kids stay upstairs with a sitter).  2.  Bringing a baby to an essentially stranger's house could make people nervous  3.  Having to pack up baby and leave the house might be inconvenient.  Plus, having to drive to my house.  For many clients, it would be up to 30 minutes.  

If you were/did have newborn photos taken, what do you prefer?  Using a home studio is definitely easier for the photographer, but making clients comfortable is more of a priority.  I'm just not sure that doing sessions at their home is necessarily what people prefer.  I'll ask my clients what they prefer too, but I'd love even more input.  I could always just give people the option of their house or mine and only turn the room into a studio when I need to.  Thanks for your help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need opinions from new moms for my business

• Options
    We had ours in our home, but that was also because the photographer was one of my close friends  and she traveled from another city to come visit (she did the photos as a gift for us). But if I'd chosen a photographer to do the shoot, I'd have felt more comfortable in my home, but depending on the photos I'd want/expected, I'd probably want to go to their home, but, as PP's said, only if they had a separate sort of studio, isolated from their personal life, so that it did actually seem like I was going to a professional, and not just some person taking pictures of babies in their home.

I think giving the client's the option to choose is the best thing, and if they choose your location, you do need to make them mindful of any quirks at your home (kids, pets, etc) so they are prepared or can change their mind to make sure they and the baby are most comfortable.
    Lisa 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow, sounds like the opinions are split about 1/2 and 1/2.  I'm sorry for the PP who said that the photographer's dog and kids got in the way.  We don't have a dog, but we do have a cat who I can easily keep in the master bedroom while people are over.  My kids aren't babies anymore (2 1/2 and 3) and I can't see them whining for me during a session.  I tutor a 3rd grader once a week and they know that they can't bother me while I'm tutoring, so I think they'd be good for a newborn session.  The room I'd use is our dining room, currently a playroom that is literally right when you walk into our house.  Right now, there is no door on it, it's more like a wide opening.  So that might be problematic.  However, I think I could make it look professional because our house is very neat and clean.  We've talked about putting french doors on that room, I don't think we'll be able to do it for a while.  I am always happy to travel to my clients.  I've just started wondering if that is truly what people want.  I try to be very organized with my things, but it is hard not to scatter things a little when you need to get to things quickly.  I'd love to hear even more opinions, but it sounds like the best thing to do is give people an option.  Thanks all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also a photographer and I offer both.  I prefer to shoot in the client's house as it's just easier logistically for both parties.  My studio is used mostly for boudoirs.  The difference is that my home studio is it's own building and entirely separated from the house.  Even if the kids were in the house screaming you wouldn't hear a thing and the dogs never go into that part of the property.  If you want to do something at home this is really the best way to go about it, but it's not practical for most.  I know a lot of photographers who converted their garages but then you don' thave your garage to use anymore.  It's give and take.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I'm a photographer and shoot a lot of newborns. I don't have a studio so I go to the client's home. I'm organized and planned with it all so it goes smoothly. I only have done shoots in my home for close friends if their home is not a good location to do photos. I do not bring clients into my home--just feel weird about that. I will be either renting studio space soon and/or adding onto our home with a studio for me. In both cases I will only travel to client's home for an additional charge since it is so much more work.

Also, I highly suggest you are licenced and FOR SURE insured when you are working in your home or someone elses'. When I was portfolio building and did on location at public outdoor areas (mostly parks) I didn't have it yet, but indoors at a home is a totally different story. I also think if you are shooting newborns at all you for sure need insurance. What if you drop a baby, or it falls off a prop, or some of your equipment falls on them? Hasn't happened to me, but it could totally happen to anyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"