September 2013 Moms
Options

Push Gift?

2»

Re: Push Gift?

• Options
    sgautschi said:

redfallon said:

If I mentioned something called a "push present" to my DH, he would look at me like this:

imageimage

I did mention it to my DH, just to see what his reaction would be, and he said yeah right and that I was SOL, which is what I thought he'd say. Lol ;)

This is the man who also says he won't be getting me a Mother's Day gift next year because I'm not his mom. Lol Oh DH....

-------------------
    DH got me a Mother's Day card this year. It was completely unexpected and I was a blubbering mess when I found it on the couch in my spot that morning. He was outside doing yard work so it made it worse that I couldn't find him for a while to say thank you.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    You know what sucks? Giving birth. Having a baby is great and all, but diamonds for carrying baby and expelling it seems totally reasonable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm guessing that since I hadn't heard of a "push present" before coming to the boards, my DH has never heard of it. There is a 24-7 Tim Hortons in our hospital; I told him he can get me an honest to god real coffee when we are done with all of this stuff!

:D

In all honesty, the fact that I get to be a mom is pretty darned awesome. I'm not saying I'd turn down diamonds (or really good chocolate) if it was offered, but he's already given me the best gift I could ask for. 
  • Options
    msronzio said:
    I told my DH, and I am completely serious, that I am going to need a honey roasted turkey sandwich with Brie and mayo on really good sourdough bread. That's all I need! (Well, that and my baby- the real push present!)
    I LOVE BRIE UGHHH
    I miss it so much.
    It's been killing me not having it (or turkey... yes, I'm one of those). That's all I've craved this whole pregnancy, so I need one waiting for me when my body is mine again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I like exchanging gifts for all sorts of reasons, so I wouldn't think it was impossible that he'd get me something small. 

When people say "the baby is the present" I get it, but I also understand the sentiment that your partner is grateful that you just went through labor like a rockstar and would like to give you a token of his love/awe/gratitude. I mean, if it were something you demanded or if it were something over the top (didn't someone a while back mention getting a car???), then I agree that's tacky. But a thoughtful partner giving you necklace or sandwich or whatever else might melt your heart? I really can't get on the judgment train on that one.
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My DH got me a mini iPad but he gave it to me pre-push...so I can use at the hospital ;)
  • Options
    At my shower, which my sister threw for me. Her boyfriend sent a gift. (Shower was not co-ed). She had no idea what it was and he put everything together and wrapped on his own. (They have no kids and she is 11 years older than I am). He is a very witty type of guy and stays quiet except for something sarcastic. There were some little bath toys and noise makers but the kicker... The card was this: small printed out and glued on lyrics to the song "Push It" by Salt n Peppa and signed "congratulations on a successful night of unprotected sex".

This was the most hilarious "push gift" I could ever come across. I just had to share. If I wasn't so lazy I'd get up and take a picture so you girls could really get it.
  • Options
    SamielleSamielle member
    edited August 2013
    I'm more concerned about getting my older daughter something nice. After all, it's the end of the world as she's known it for 12 years.

I just want a subway sandwich. Call it a push gift if you wanna.
    BabyFruit Ticker 12 YEARS LATER! Baby #2 EDD 09/10/2013
  • Options
    I hadn't heard of this until I came here. That being said, I absolutely love gifts and receiving them is my primary love language. Unfortunately DH isn't super great at it. I'm sure he has no idea what a push gift is and I'm not going to tell him. We just celebrated our anniversary, and my birthday is two days after my due date so it would probably be overkill. I totally expect an awesome birthday present still:)

If anything, I'd love to give him a daddy gift, if that's a thing. He's been awesome this pregnancy and he deserves it for all the chores he's done and the crap he puts up with (in the form of me being either a jerk or needing ice cream constantly).
  • Options
    msronzio said:
    I told my DH, and I am completely serious, that I am going to need a honey roasted turkey sandwich with Brie and mayo on really good sourdough bread. That's all I need! (Well, that and my baby- the real push present!)
    I LOVE BRIE UGHHH
    I miss it so much.
    It's been killing me not having it (or turkey... yes, I'm one of those). That's all I've craved this whole pregnancy, so I need one waiting for me when my body is mine again!
    The local pub here makes a turkey and brie on a ciabatta... omfg is it good. It's all melty and delicious.
    I was doing really well with nitrate free meats until last week. I had to have a turkey sandwich. Granted it wasn't brie-topped, but still.......worth it.
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    husband is building us a new house at the moment ... actually building it with his building crew . we saved up for the past 15 years , so I would never expect a material gift for having our baby . He's not the shopping type anyway ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If my husband wanted to get me something I wouldn't refuse, but I don't expect anything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DH and I had never even heard of the concept until we were watching something on E! like Celebrity Bling Babies or something and they featured the present Nick Cannon gave Mariah Carey.  We both laughed about it and I said I would happily take a Subway sandwich and a Sugar Free Rockstar as my first post-pregnancy meal/push present :)  I haven't had deli meat or caffeine since I have been pregnant so this would be the best gift in the world (no judgement on those that have - I just know I can't limit myself to non-overdosing amounts - I have zero willpower when it comes to caffeine lol).  Other than that I never even thought (nor had previously heard of) a push present.  Not to sound cheesy, but after all the issues we had I am so excited to get lil' man here that he is going to be the ultimate gift.  But like PPs have said...I am not one to turn down a gift either so if DH shows up with a gift, I will accept it for sure lol!
    **TTC since June 2009** April 2011: 50mg Clomid = Elevated level, BFN DH SA = Excellent May 2011: 50mg Clomid = Elevated Prog level, BFN June 2011: 50mg Clomid = Elevated Prog level, BFN July 2011: 50mg Clomid = Low Prog level, BFN August 2011: 100mg Clomid = Elevated Prog level, BFN Sept 2011: 100mg Clomid = Elevated Prog level, BFN HSG = Nothing abnormal/blocked Oct 2011: 100mg Clomid = Elevated Prog level, BFN November 2011: Referred to RE (6 month wait) Nov 2011 - March 2012: unmedicated cycles = BFN April 2012: RE initial visit/baseline tests May 2, 2012: IUI #1: Femara + Ovidrel injection = BFN May 16, 2012: IUI Cycle #2 - Femara = BFP!! (6/12/2012) July 3, 2012: no heartbeat detected 7w2d :( July 6, 2012: Confirmed MMC 6w4d - D&C July 11, 2012 Sept 7, 2012: IUI Cycle #3 - Femara + Ovidrel = Early Miscarriage Sept/Oct 2012: IUI Cycle #4 - Femara = BFN Follow-up with RE Nov 13, 2012 - Follistim, Ganorelex, Ovidrel, IUI (Nov 27, 2012), & Progesterone = BFN Dec 26, 2012 - Follistim, Ganorilex, Ovidrel & IUI = BFP BabyFruit Ticker Began Domestic Adoption Adventure - application accepted Home Study Classes - Oct/Nov 2012 Home Visit Nov 27, 2012 - All Paperwork submitted Homestudy Approved Jan 3, 2013!!! & BFP Days after...what a January!
  • Options
    I'm into it. I wouldn't hound my husband for one, but I know he's getting one and when I asked why he said "oh I don't know, your body has been flooded with hormones and uncomfortable for 9 months and you're pushing a baby out of your vagina, don't you think you deserve one?!" Yeah, he's a keeper.
  • Options
    I think the idea behind it is sweet. If your husband wants to get you something, why not? I agree demanding one or expecting one is not in good taste (not saying OP did that), but if your husband wants to do something nice for you, there is no harm in graciously accepting. 
    I am a bit envious - I didn't get anything for my birthday (October), holidays, valentine's day, anniversary, etc. I would have just liked a card - it doesn't have to be a store-bought gift, just something to indicate he was thinking of me or cared. I certainly don't expect a push gift (let alone a birthday gift, mother's day gifts, etc. - basically repeat the list above, haha)
    I will give him credit, though - he has footed the bills for all the baby things without really giving me a hard time about any of it. Just something with some thought behind it sounds kind of nice! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't know this was such a hot topic.. I don't know if I offended anyone but in case I did, I wouldn't care either way if MH got me something or YH got you something. It's not really that big of a deal...
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I didn't expect anything but my husband is really into buying presents.... He actually downloaded te Poshmark app and bought me a (used, reasonably priced) Fendi purse for a "push present" soooooo I'm not complaining! :-P
  • Options
    Early on I had teased DH a few times that a top band would be a great idea to commemorate our first LO, knowing very well that wasn't an option. (Top band is more of a commemorative milestone anniversary gift in our books)

He surprised me about a month ago though, asking what I thought about sapphire and diamond earrings or a necklace to match LOs birthstone.... I was floored! I don't know what he has planned, but I am with the PP on page 1 that the intent is more of a commemorative gift celebrating the new addition than it is a pat on the back for a job well done.

I think we are all lucky to be carrying LOs and to know that at the end of our pregnancies we will, hopefully, all go home with our happy, healthy LOs and feel surrounded by love (with or without a push gift).
  • Options
    Hubby gave me a gift early, but it's because we are scheduled on the 26th so we'll be in the hospital longer than planned. It's a zero gravity seat swing/frame with umbrella attachment so I can sit with the baby outside this fall and then in the spring.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • Options
    Hubby gave me a gift early, but it's because we are scheduled on the 26th so we'll be in the hospital longer than planned. It's a zero gravity seat swing/frame with umbrella attachment so I can sit with the baby outside this fall and then in the spring.
    That sounds lovely! A gift for both you and LO.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this since this thread was posted.  At first my thought was "this all seems silly" mostly because we're super tight on money right now (going from 2 incomes to 1 plus adding in baby).  I've always gotten friends who are new mamas something small (like flowers or bath salts or the like) though.

I would NEVER ask DH for a gift or even suggest the idea to him. However, this comparison popped into my head.  DH is a year away from finishing law school.  His "real present"?  Well, the degree and the fact that he gets to be a lawyer, of course.  Will I get him a gift to celebrate all the hard work and sacrifice he's made to get to that point?  Absolutely, without a question.

So, I guess you could look at it as the same idea - pregnancy requires tons of sacrifices (your entire body for goodness sake) and turning your life upside down (at least it's felt that way to me at times).  Yes, a healthy baby in the end is the ultimate reward.  But, I think DHs acknowledging and celebrating the road it took to get to that baby is kind and thoughtful. 
  • Options
    I guess it was a push present (though DH would roll his eyes at the term, as do I), but dh got me an iPad when ds was born. I didbt ask for it and had actually previously said I didn't want an iPad, but his boss told him how great it was for his wife to have one for middle of the night feelings, I was skeptical, but I love it and am glad to have it again for baby girl.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    my husband got me an awesome necklace that is my birthstone for our 1st sons birth

i think he's forgotten this time as he hasnt mentioned it

however, our anniversary is sept 16th, baby girl is due sept 18th and ours sons bday is sept 24th...so he has a lot on his mind.  :D

for our anniversary, i am buying him golf shoes.  but since i am on bed rest, i've asked a friend who golfs with him to help me get the shoes, or at least a gift certificate.

im praying that baby girl comes a bit before her due date because i dont want her to have my anniversary or her brothers bday as her bday...
    Due 9/18/2013 after 3+ years of trying
    Expecting a GIRL!!!
    Big Brother is also a September BABY - 9/24/06
  • Options
    Instead of a push present I asked my husband if I could order a beautiful and expensive dress that I can't wear now. The sizing is flexible but I'll have to wait until I've lost a little (not all, we're realistic) baby weight. My husband sees it as I've made a lot of sacrifices for us to have this child and we both like the idea of having something to remind us that pregnancy is hard, but it is temporary.

For families that can afford diamonds or other expensive jewelry, I think it's a nice thought, but any token would be sweet. Every time you'd see it or wear it you both would be reminded of the day you brought your child into the world. I have wonderful memories when ever I wear my wedding jewelry even though it was very inexpensive. 

And yes, I agree, getting this baby that we've waited so long for is more than enough 'motivation' to 'push' her out.
  • Options
    My husband knows I like gifts and that I love to give gifts too. I got a sexy calendar made when I was in my first trimester for him to "remember" that body bye as I don't see it making a return...lol in return I guess he wants to get me a celebratory gift after our daughter is born. I suggested something that I can hand down to her when or if she has her own baby. So I'm guessing he will get a diamond necklace or something that has lasting value.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"