Attachment Parenting
Options

BLW and spoon use question

Hi, I have a 1 year old and we started BLW at 6 months. I never read any BLW books, I am in Scotland and when the nurse visits at 6 months to discuss solid food they basically just describe BLW but it isn't called that (just seems to be the normal here). I do not remember spoon use at all in this conversation. My son is an excellent eater and loves his food but I have not really given him a spoon to use before. I have put oatmeal and soup broth on a spoon then given it to him (it then goes in his ear) but how do I teach him to use a spoon?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket

Re: BLW and spoon use question

• Options
    So we started with me loading a spoon and handing it over to him fairly early on.  At 1, you can probably skip this step since I'm sure he's seen you use a spoon/can mimic fairly well, right?  Eventually I just handed over a spoon and let him go at it.  It's going to be quite a mess since their aim is imperfect and really, spoons are a little difficult with scooping and holding it steady on the way to the mouth.  Even though he's been eating with a spoon by himself for over a year he still ends up wearing a lot of soup/oatmeal.

My son's daycare taught spoon use by standing behind them and holding their hand with a spoon in it and helping them scoop and place it in their mouths.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just give it to him! It'll be messy, but he'll figure it out. Bananas mashed I to yogurt is nice And thick, and hard boiled eggs mashed w butter and olive oil is nice, too.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do a little of both... Sometimes I just give her preloaded spoons, sometimes I give her the spoon and let her go at it.  She's still too little (almost 9 months) to attempt using it on her own - but I figure she'll get it one day.  She mostly just bangs it around now :)

She's great with the preloaded spoon though... Some of the easier things that actually get into her mouth are applesauce, oatmeal, and yogurt.  Sometimes I even give her a fork with bits of pasta, meat, etc on the end and she does just fine - has never once poked herself in the mouth.  Babies amaze me.
  • Options
    We follow the kids lead and let them do it on their own. We introduce the spoon there and let them figure it out. Luckily we have a dog to help with messes. :) they both did it at vastly different ages but it wasn't the end of the world.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I gave my kid a spoon to play with when we went out to eat, or occasionally at home. I didn't "teach him" how to use it, but just a few weeks ago he started grabbing the spoon from me and using it. He's 18 mo now. His use isn't perfect and he still only tries maybe every other day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did BLW and around 7 months I started giving her my oatmeal. I would give her a preloaded spoon and she would do great with that. I don't remember when she started using a spoon by herself for the most part but it was pretty early. I would just give her one and she would dink around with it. The girl ate her first birthday smash cake with a spoon :). I would say just give him a spoon and let him play with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"