Attachment Parenting
Options

Best book?

Hi ladies, can anyone recommend a good book on attachment parenting? Also, can you still do attachment parenting if you don't breastfeed?

Re: Best book?

• Options
    The Attachment Parenting Book, by Dr. William Sears is great!

And yes, you can absolutely AP if you don't breastfeed. AP is about attentiveness and respect: responding to your child's needs promptly and with love. The APed child's needs are of equal importance as everyone else in the household. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I should add that many parents who AP do choose to breastfeed, though, because of the close physical/emotional connection it creates between mama and baby. For example, moms who breastfeed sync their breathing with baby's while they sleep, and are more aware of changes in baby's sleep patterns and wakefulness. For that reason, bedsharing with a FF infant is typically not recommended.

I would encourage you to strongly consider breastfeeding, even just for a little while. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    AP is about a philosophy of responding to the needs of your child, rather than making them fit into any schedule. The tools you to do to get there are just tools, and every family uses them differently.

Some people bedshare, babywear, and BF, and others do not, dependent on the needs of their family.

I do agree with pp that BF is a very easy way to build that close physical bond, but it is by no means the only way.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I just started reading Attached at the Heart and it is really good so far! As for BF, AP is about responding to your baby's needs in a loving manner, which can still be accomplished with FF.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"