Attachment Parenting
Options

NAPR: if you've had your wedding blessed/second wedding years after your initial wedding

DH and I married 10 yrs ago. We had a civil ceremony because that is what was right for us at the time.

I've recently returned to the Catholic church, and would like to get our marriage blessed. DH is completely happy to do this.

My question is about the logistics of how to make it a bit special without making it a "big production." 

To me the ceremony itself feels quite intimate, although we need to have two witnesses, so we're planing on inviting our parents and DH's Aunt. FIL has passed, so that makes 4 people.

I've mentioned it to a few friends who suddenly got very excited about attending a wedding, and despite my best efforts to insist it's not a wedding as they're thinking of, they are very keen to "have a party." and celebrate.

So at this point we're thinking of having the private ceremony, perhaps going out for dinner just us two and the girls, and then maybe taking the girls to my parents so that DH and I can go out and have a drink and maybe invite some friends out to join us.

Then I thought perhaps it's polite to do something with the parents after the ceremony like a morning or afternoon tea, depending on what time the blessing is.

Then I thought perhaps this is making all too big a deal of it.

So I'm suppose I'm curious what other people have done?

Thoughts
Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: NAPR: if you've had your wedding blessed/second wedding years after your initial wedding

• Options
    KateLouiseKateLouise member
    edited August 2013
    Can't work out how to edit, but wanted to add, I in no way see this as a gift giving event. Purely something that feels right to us to do, and seems like a nice thing to celebrate in a very low key way.

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited August 2013
    I haven't had a marriage blessed, but I am Catholic, and so was married in the Church. 

I think it's wonderful that you're having your marriage blessed! :D Congratulations!

Just like a wedding, your blessing and the reception that follows (if you even want one) should have as many or as few guests as you like. It can be intimate, or you can invite all the friends you can imagine: it's up to you!

If you would like it to be an intimate celebration including just family, then I would definitely keep it that way. I don't see any harm in having a reception/party with family and friends if you like! :) 

It is a wonderful thing to celebrate! And if you wanted to keep it low-key, I'd let everyone know that. You can also invite folks by word of mouth instead of formal invitations, if that would help get across the idea that you don't want this to be celebrated like a normal wedding with gifts, etc. 
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Dh and I married in his church and then a year later we had our marriage blessed by the Catholic Church.  We would have gotten married in my church except that my annulment wasn't finished until shortly before the first wedding and we wanted to be legally married before my kids and I moved in with dh.

We did the blessing half an hour before the regular Saturday evening Mass and by telephone/email/facebook sent out notices that any family members that wanted to attend were welcome.  The parishioners that had arrived early for mass quickly caught on to what was happening and so when it came time for the Lord's Prayer they joined us in prayer and they joined in the applause afterwards too.  One of my aunts loves hosting parties and knew our tiny house wasn't conducive to entertaining so she organized a "cousins get together" on Sunday afternoon (cousins get together since a couple of my mom's first cousins and some of my first cousins live in this area too)

Since dd was an adult when dh and I married 2.5 years ago she was my maid of honor and signed as a witness.  Also, we tried to incorporate things from our original wedding: dh wore the same suit, I wore an outfit in yellow and white (our wedding colors), we used our unity candle as a centerpiece during supper that night, we had silk flowers so we wore the corsages/boutonnieres again for the blessing .  Of course, having it on Mom's birthday made it special too and the date unforgettable.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts ladies.

I think we'll stick to our plan then of ceremony and dinner just for us and then an open invite for drinks. Because why not have a party? Plus it means I don't have to worry about good friends I have who are anti-religion for all sorts of reasons, who I'd feel like I "should" invite and who would probably feel like they "should" go, but all of us would feel awkward because we all know their underlying beliefs.

I like the idea of incorporating aspects of our first wedding, perhaps with colours and things. I'm thinking I'll just find a pretty dress, and maybe get my hair done. Nothing major.

It probably won't happen for at least a couple of months, but I'm excited about it.

Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"