Birthday Parties
Options

s/o Opening Gifts

I'm gonna bounce this idea off you guys.

I was thinking to try and save time and hold attention that maybe my SO and I could set up an "assembly line" type deal.  We would have a bunch of batteries, some scissors, and anything else we might need ready to go.  I sit with my son and "help" him open presents.  Basically, I'll be unwrapping with him in my lap (or sitting beside him) so he can grab at the paper and help pull as well so it doesn't seem like I'm just completely bypassing him unwrapping, I'm just expediting the process.  Then the toy gets immediately handed off to my SO, who opens it, gets it ready, throws batteries in it, and then gives it back to DS to play with.  Rinse, wash, repeat.

I feel like DS would stay entertained with the toys being put around him, but he also loves the sound of paper crinkling, so I think he'll still "help" me unwrap the presents.  But this way, instead of it just being a show of watching him play with wrapping paper and most likely be completely uninterested in the toy/box, DS can get right to playing with his presents and give people the "reactions" they're looking for.

So what do you think?  Tacky?  Am I not thinking of something that makes this unrealistic?  Have you done something similar?  Throw it at me.  I just thought of this like ten minutes ago, so it's not like I'm invested in it if it's a bad idea.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o Opening Gifts

• Options
    Eh.  No matter what you do, your kid is going to probably get fixated on one item - whether it's paper or an actual toy, or what have you.  The reality of gift openings at kids parties is that they rarely get done to their entirety and it's why I personally don't care if the gift opening is skipped. 

At this age, it's your son's distractability.  As he gets older, its still that, but then also other kids wanting to open/ play w/ the toys, etc. 

And really, if people come to a kids b-day party looking for ANY specific reaction, they are going to leave disappointed no matter what.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Eh.  No matter what you do, your kid is going to probably get fixated on one item - whether it's paper or an actual toy, or what have you.  The reality of gift openings at kids parties is that they rarely get done to their entirety and it's why I personally don't care if the gift opening is skipped. 

At this age, it's your son's distractability.  As he gets older, its still that, but then also other kids wanting to open/ play w/ the toys, etc. 

And really, if people come to a kids b-day party looking for ANY specific reaction, they are going to leave disappointed no matter what.
    Lol very true.  He scowls at pretty much everything that's unfamiliar to him, so there's that.  I just don't want gift opening to take up half the party, but I know it'll be expected to be done.  Oh well, we'll probably just wing it when the time comes, as per usual.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In all honesty- even if a gift opening has been started at one of DSs parties, once he goes off course and isn't interested, I just stop.  People can 'expect' it all they want, but when my (however old he is) year old just isn't interested, I'm not going to force him. 

He'll get to an age where he'll have the maturity to handle it.  But until then - I'm not going to force it.
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    There is no reason to open them, take them out of the package and get them ready to play in front of guests. Just unwrap them and you can do the rest later. I've never been at a party where the parents took the toys out of the box and got them ready for playing in front of everybody. Quite the opposite in fact. That would take forever and be really annoying for everybody involved. 
  • Options
    KateMW said:
    There is no reason to open them, take them out of the package and get them ready to play in front of guests. Just unwrap them and you can do the rest later. I've never been at a party where the parents took the toys out of the box and got them ready for playing in front of everybody. Quite the opposite in fact. That would take forever and be really annoying for everybody involved. 
    I was thinking it was something quick that SO could do off to the side, but thinking about it, if he had any toys that needed to be assembled, it would take longer.  :-S

Gah.  I'm a people pleaser, I want everyone to be happy, including the kid.  I guess we'll just follow his lead and see what happens.  Thanks for the advice, ladies!
  • Options
    iwantnoworld said:

Gah.  I'm a people pleaser, I want everyone to be happy, including the kid. 
    I put some of the "responsibility" on the guests, though.  It's a KIDS party.  If they are actually coming and expecting to not only see their gift opened but see the kid happily playing with it- then they probably shouldn't come! 

People need to be realistic when attending a childs party.
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    nah82nah82 member
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, this is a bad idea.  It would never pan out in reality, and it would not save time, it would add more time to the gift opening.

1) Toys are packaged ridiculously and it takes forever just to untie or cut all the pieces securing one toy in the package, let alone UNSCREWING all the battery boxes to insert batteries.
    2) After you have gone through all this work, the various pieces of the toy (blocks, doll clothes, etc.) are now free to get lost in the wrapping paper and packaging to be thrown away in clean up and never to be seen again.
    3) Super hard to remember who gave what to write thank you cards (I usually try to keep the card with each gift to help remember).
    4) Extra work cleaning up all the toy pieces and packaging on top of wrapping paper, food, decorations, etc. and
    5) At their first birthday party, kids are so worn out and overstimulated already from all the people, decorations, smearing cake and getting cake cleaned off, they are cranky and worn out by the time it comes to gift opening.  My little guy started bawling by about the second present and my mom took him and rocked him and he fell asleep.

By all means, do sit and "help" him unwrap (you will probably be doing most of the work).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sounds completely over stimulating. The kid is already going to be way over stimulated from the party alone. I would not open the toys to be played with right then. Plus, what if you get repeats or toys you already have. They giver might wonder why you didn't open their toy, you know.

My DS1 handled the first 2 presents ok and then was done. This time, my plan is to take the present over to the giver and open it one on one throughout the party and not have everyone sit around and watch us open gifts all at once. My family is staying after the party for dinner so we will open their presents then.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"