Third-Party Reproduction
Options

Embryo adoption

Hey y'all, so I just posted this under the weekly check in but thought it may be beneficial to start a new topic thread as well:

Hey Ladies!!! So I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with the help of donor sperm. I am a single woman, always knew I wanted to be a mother, I just never met the right guy (yet). Because I am single, my age and early onset pre-eclampsia I know this will be my one and only pregnancy. I currently have three embryos's that I will not be using. I am Catholic and believe life begins at conception. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how embryo adoption works and would not even consider starting the process until after my daughter is born. Do any of y'all have any experience with this? Also, I would want to meet the couple, would this be possible before deciding to give them this miracle? Also, would it be reasonable to have some sort of clause that the child could be given my information on it's 18th birthday if he/she chooses to??? Thanks ladies, sorry for all the questions! If anyone has any on sperm donation, please ask away! My experience has been very positive!

Re: Embryo adoption

• Options
    Welcome and congrats on your baby!!! There are a few "resident experts" on embyro adoption who I'm sure will pipe in (Liz? :) ) However, there is pretty much just about every option you can imagine available. Many people have an open adoption where you are in touch with your recipients at an agreed-to cadence. But regardless, you can pick your recipients, so you can choose what's important to you (I.e., Catholic, live near you, blonde hair, whatever...) and make sure they are a good match for you.

Check out www.miracleswaiting.org as one example. Some people also find recipients through word-of-mouth, FB groups, and here on TB.
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    liz4pawsliz4paws member
    edited August 2013
    Hello and welcome! First, let me tell you how amazing it is that you are choosing to donate your embryos. I applaud you like crazy for making this decision!

If you want to actually meet or know your recipients, then I'd agree that going to www.miracleswaiting.org is one of the best ways to do that. It's a classifieds ads type of site where donors and recipients can get in touch with one another. And when a match is mutually decided, then you can move forward. The recipients will generally handle the logistics once you agree, which includes drawing up a contract and arranging shipping. And yes, you can have whatever you'd like put in the contract as long as you both agree to it, including your request for the information to be available to the resulting children when they are 18 years old.

There are also adoption agencies like Snowflakes and the NEDC which may have "known" donor programs (I'm not 100% sure on this route since I'm not as familiar with the agency route) and you can request that your donation not be anonymous. You'll have to contact them for more details. 

I have adopted embryos from two different donor couples in a "known" adoption and I can tell you it's such a wonderful blessing to know our donors. It may not be for everyone, but I promise you that there are many couples out there that are praying to find embryos such as yours. If you want to read about my story from a recipients perspective, I have a blog at www.wishingonasnowflake.com.

I'm actually thinking I need to have a link on the main page just for information on the basics of embryo adoption/donation since so many don't know much about it yet. And feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Again, thank you for choosing to give this incredible gift. And congrats on your LO!

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for choosing to donate.  There are so many people out there that desperately want a family and will happily give your embabies wonderful lives.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"