December 2013 Moms
Options

teacher question...

imrachelleaimrachellea member
edited August 2013 in December 2013 Moms
I am legitimately asking what you would do your first day back to school for the year, as a middle or high school teacher, in a class of 43 students. Again, legitimately asking this but also griping and freaking out about a class of 43 students. Yes. 43. W.T.F. That being said, keep in mind when you are answering that you cannot logically do the same thing in that class as in every other class, because you also have classes or 15 and 16. PS, you do not have enough desks for 43 students. In fact, you have enough for 23. Understand my dilemma? Legitimate (and funny) answer would be appreciated.

PS...DH, who is also a teacher, is of zero help. He is, in fact, mad that I keep talking (aka freaking out) about it.

And...GO!

ETA: the count is officially up to 44. Anyone want to place bets on 50 by the time I get to school tomorrow AM?
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: teacher question...

• Options
    Whoa, 43????? What grade and what state? That's shocking
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure there is a law in my state too. I want to say 35 is the top for my school? (Good) problem is that we had an influx of 200+ student enrolled within days of the first day of school, so we weren't staffed for that many students. Schedules originally drawn up had to be scrapped and are still currently in progress...likely 43 will not stay at 43 but for tomorrow, it is.

And its 7th grade. So that makes the problem even that much more interesting. AP level seniors in high school might actually be fun for a few days. And the subject is Civics (AKA government for middle school)

Not sure why I'm worrying too much, aside for the lack of seats and even floor space in my classroom, it will probably taken me the whole class period to go through all their names...!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is illegal. I'd tell them to sit wherever they can and do some intro activities to kill time. Hopefully your counselors or whoever does your schedule will get that resolved ASAP. If you teach a grade that's new to the campus, or even if not, you could take them on a tour of the school so they aren't all sitting in your room stinking it up. Lol
  • Options
    Could it just be a mix up?? 

That is a crazy high amount of kids and really its just not fair to you or them!
    BabyName TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image""> image
  • Options
    Also, have you contacted your administration about the appropriate pay compensation for taking this on?  Is your union involved at all?
    Why would she be paid more for doing her job? Honest question. I mean it sucks, but it's still her job.
  • Options
    Also, have you contacted your administration about the appropriate pay compensation for taking this on?  Is your union involved at all?
    I'm not in the union...although DH and I had discussed the possibility of me joining it this year if for no other reason than the legal compensation you are given if that situation ever arises!

Again, this is likely not a situation that will stay the way it is, especially given the size of 3 of my 4 other classes (two with 15 and one with 16). I'm waiting until I get to school tomorrow to find out what the reasoning behind one class being so inflated is before I seek resolution. My admin is up to their neck with the influx of kids and, like I said, its a good problem to have just daunting when I try and think of how to handle it tomorrow, or the first few days while that is what my classroom looks like!

Here's my thought...have a simultaneous soccer game AND baseball game during that period, all teams from my class :-P
  • Options
    That's insane! I teach PE and 43 would even be a HUGE class for me. I'd contact your school counselor and administrator ASAP and see if some changes can be made. If not, I will be willing to bet parents will call immediately once they find out their child doesn't even have a desk to sit at. Sad but true, parents are what get things changed in most school districts.
  • Options
    My administration would laugh in my face if I asked to be paid more for overloaded classes. I'm in Texas and we are only part of a union if we pay extra to be in one, but I don't think they'd get involved in something like this unless they refused to fix the issue after some time.
  • Options
    Wow, I thought my class of 35 was bad!! I also teach 7th, and they are way too squirmy and social to have that many in a small space! Can you take them outside after roll or to the gym? I have at least 10 icebreaker games/teamwork activities that require very little prep but need a large space. Send me a PM if want more details!

Another option: put on a movie and take a nap (kidding)

• Options
    Also in Texas. No unions here, it's a right to work state. We can pay to be a part of a professional organization, but that's mostly a CYA in case you get in some sort of legal trouble. They can't do much at a local level regarding pay or class sizes.
  • Options
    I think you should get compensated for the overload as well. It's standard in other work environments, it should be standard for teachers as well. (If things get added to your original job description, a promotion is usually par for the course)

• Options
    What about ice breakers and maybe some Minute to Win It games?  You could split them into teams of 5 and do the games.  I'm really sorry you have to deal with that.  It isn't right to do that to any teacher...but especially in middle school (I teach 8th grade SPED).  I hope it gets resolved.  

• Options
    JRT512 said:
    Also in Texas. No unions here, it's a right to work state. We can pay to be a part of a professional organization, but that's mostly a CYA in case you get in some sort of legal trouble. They can't do much at a local level regarding pay or class sizes.
    Virginia is the same way.  Somewhat frustrating!

• Options
    noslen0519noslen0519 member
    edited August 2013

Yikes you poor thing! Maybe getting them to do some ice breaking activities in small groups for a day or two until they can get you more information/ a resolution to the issue? It's going to be difficult to set up classroom routine and begin teaching with that many students in the classroom! Good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Options
    At this point it is almost comical as I have watched my list climb from 38 to 44 just today. DH says I need to stop checking because I was crazy freaking out earlier but now I'm so overwhelmed that I'm maniacal about it. Tomorrow will "be what it be"...and I shall be a hard ass to get my point across that I'm not taking their crap. This early in the game, they're all nervous anyway and I can just scare them into compliance...then once class sizes are normal, they'll see I'm actually an awesome teacher (as many of my students from last year stated as they came through open house!) Luckily, I do have several of my best students, as I was their 6th grade teacher last year...but with this crazy enrollment, I know maybe 1/3 of my students this year.

...and do I have any volunteers to lobby for extra pay for me? lol

• Options
    KateMW said:
    Why would she be paid more for doing her job? Honest question. I mean it sucks, but it's still her job.
    What she's being asked to do is above and beyond what her normal job duties require - especially if it's above the legal classroom capacity in her state.  Teachers (at least in districts around here) get compensated for helping with school organizations, clubs, reoccurring after-school resource room/tutoring monitoring, etc.  I think an argument could be made in this case that what they're asking her to take on - though temporarily - needs to be compensated accordingly.
    I get being paid extra for special clubs, etc. but this is different in my eyes. It sounds like it's not something that anybody wants to happen and the school is going to try their hardest to fix it. 

How long do you have these kids a day? In 7th grade, don't they change classes, etc? They do here.
  • Options
    I think you should get compensated for the overload as well. It's standard in other work environments, it should be standard for teachers as well. (If things get added to your original job description, a promotion is usually par for the course)
    What do you do for living where the minute you get something extra added to your plate you get a promotion? LOL And it's not standard to be paid more when asked to do more for a couple of days, especially in a salaried job.
  • Options

I realize that this isn't helpful... but this is you tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Hahagahaha! That was hilarious, good share!

• Options

LOL It's helpful if she pictures it in her mind.
  • Options
    KateMW said:
    How long do you have these kids a day? In 7th grade, don't they change classes, etc? They do here.
    Yep they change classes. That was my whole purpose for getting into middle school instead of elementary. We used to have 47 minute periods, but now I think they're 54...some obscure amount of time.
  • Options

Uh, yeah that is actually incredibly helpful in that it makes me laugh at how entertaining, in an insane way, my situation is!
  • Options
    Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited August 2013
    KateMW said:

What do you do for living where the minute you get something extra added to your plate you get a promotion? LOL And it's not standard to be paid more when asked to do more for a couple of days, especially in a salaried job.

Look, Kate...Back off! Lol. I'm not the only one who thinks she should be compensated. And it's absolutely none of your business what I do. I don't like you. You don't like me, leave it at that.

ETA: and I must've missed the part where she said it was only for a couple days. Where is that part?

• Options
    Cashingn2 said:
    that's what I was thinking. I get extra tasks all the time and don't get compensated lol. I think teachers should get paid more in general
    I totally think they should get paid more to begin with.
    KateMW said:
    Yep they change classes. That was my whole purpose for getting into middle school instead of elementary. We used to have 47 minute periods, but now I think they're 54...some obscure amount of time.
    So is this your homeroom or do you teach a specific subject? I don't understand middle school yet! Thank goodness I have three years until DD goes.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but that is horrifying. What type of educational environment is that!???
  • Options
    Cashingn2 said:

KateMW said:

Look, Kate...Back off! Lol. I'm not the only one who thinks she should be compensated. And it's absolutely none of your business what I do. I don't like you. You don't like me, leave it at that.
    that was a tad unnecessary. I was legitimately curious as to what other work environments get compensated too

I was talking to Kate. She's trying to debate and I'm simply not wanting to.

• Options
    There is currently a TBA position in my department to be filled accommodating the influx of students. However, those classes ARE being scheduled even without a teacher yet and will have a  temporary sub (likely office staff) until that new hire is made. I'm not sure how long that will take though. My hope is that, when they realize that one of my classes is 3x the size of most of my others, they will do some re-configuring or, at the very least, get me a permanent para professional in for that class period. While that may not solve the size of my classroom, it will at least aid in my sanity.

Who was the amazing human being who said teachers should be paid more? You're my new best friend.
  • Options
    that was a tad unnecessary. I was legitimately curious as to what other work environments get compensated too
    No, I'm just pointing out that as usual you're talking out of your ass. 
  • Options
    Cashingn2 said:
    that's what I was thinking. I get extra tasks all the time and don't get compensated lol. I think teachers should get paid more in general
    Maybe the union in SE Wisconsin (where I taught for a while) was just over-zealous.  It is, after all, the same union that went ape-sh!t over the WI governor Scott Walker thing last year.  In any case, the general mantra of the teachers I worked with was that anything above and beyond the norm and legal responsibilities of a teacher would need to be compensated.  This came up frequently at pretty much every teacher's meeting whenever the administration wanted them to do anything more than they were normally required to do.  I think part of it had to do with the perception of low salaries to begin with.  iamrachellea's situation would be one of those situations where I could very easily see the union getting involved, if this happened in this district.

I totally agree that if this is indeed a one-day or two-day deal, then the teachers should just figure out and let it go.  I'm just skeptical that this will be resolved as quickly as they're hoping (especially if there's not enough staffing to begin with).  Granted, I have no idea how her administration functions.  But if it's like most, I would foresee this stretching to Labor Day and possibly beyond.
    And if it lasts a long time, I completely agree, but aren't teachers on a contract? Isn't pay something you negotiate before you accept your job again for the year? I guess my way of thinking was that it's probably not the best way to spend her time when she could be thinking of a way to round up all the cats. :) But I do agree with you that extra work for teachers should have extra pay.
  • Options
    Oh and what is the Gov. Walker thing? I'm curious now!
  • Options
    There is currently a TBA position in my department to be filled accommodating the influx of students. However, those classes ARE being scheduled even without a teacher yet and will have a  temporary sub (likely office staff) until that new hire is made. I'm not sure how long that will take though. My hope is that, when they realize that one of my classes is 3x the size of most of my others, they will do some re-configuring or, at the very least, get me a permanent para professional in for that class period. While that may not solve the size of my classroom, it will at least aid in my sanity.

Who was the amazing human being who said teachers should be paid more? You're my new best friend.
    My guess is that they may just be using your class as an example of how many kids still need to be placed.....those kids will prob be moved into another class when the new hire is found. 
    BabyName TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image""> image
  • Options
    Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited August 2013
    KateMW said:

Cashingn2 said:

KateMW said:

No, I'm just pointing out that as usual you're talking out of your ass. 

As usual? Me talking out of MY ass? No I think that's you. Anyway no one said it was only a couple days so who's talking out their ass here? Um you

• Options

Those of you imagining she is getting some kind of raise for an over full classroom have clearly not been in the public school system lately. Welcome to reality.

No one said she would, I believe we all said she SHOULD. Similarily, I believe most teachers deserve more and should get more compensation.

• Options
    Cashingn2 said:

@Marchmellow2, OP made a comment that it won't always be 43 but tomorrow it will. She also said it is short term. To me, that meant anywhere from a couple days to weeks

Oh, I totally didn't see her comment, thanks for showing me. Sometimes I skip long comments. If it's longer than a couple days then she should get compensated ;)

• Options

Do I need to get my popcorn???

Seriously, I've been quiet all day because I'm too tired to move but I'll get up for this.
    Rainbow Baby born 12/14/13

• Options
    Seriously, I've been quiet all day because I'm too tired to move but I'll get up for this.
    Nooooooooope nopenopenope...

Cease fire, everyone.  Hug it out. 
    Not gonna happen.
  • Options

Nooooooooope nopenopenope...

Cease fire, everyone.  Hug it out. 

Seemed like we were all really happy after the big gif post but now everyone is really pissy. What happened?
    Rainbow Baby born 12/14/13

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Where is a fun GIF post?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"