Multiples

27 weeks in L&D

I am 27 weeks with fraternal twin boys.

At my ultrasound Friday morning the boys looked great but my cervix was short. It went from 4 cm to 2 cm in three weeks.

They sent me to get an NST. Which revealed that I was having contractions. I couldn't feel them. They ended my NST and sent me up to L&D where I have been ever since.

I was having contractions every two minutes but luckily they seemed to have slowed down. Though not stopped completely. They gave me medicine to stop them. And a steroid shot for the boys lungs in case they come out early.

Today we recheck my cervical length to see how the contractions effected it. Yesterday, though my cervix was short it was closed.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or can offer words of encouragement? Thank you.
                     My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.

Re: 27 weeks in L&D

• No experience but wanted to wish you luck.... Thoughts and prayers are with you :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was in L&D 5 times before I delivered at 35w1D. The drugs and bedrest worked for me. Hope it works for you too. Hang in there and don't lose hope! GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Bed rest does wonders! I was at a 1 for four weeks before I delivered.
    image Our 25 week miracles! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am 29 weeks and my cervix is less than 1cm. I've been on bed rest for 3 weeks. I've had the steroids and meds. I'm still on procardia. I had a similar deal with my first and he was delivered hours after his due date. The fact that they found it at 27 weeks is a good indicator. Things can change quickly but a short cervix diagnosed after 25 weeks may have a better outcome than if the cervix is short prior to 24 weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'll be 26 weeks tomorrow. I've had a shortening cervix since 22 weeks. It was 1.6, 1.3 now it's only at a .5 with funneling. I'm on strict bed rest. I was having contractions as well last week they gave me some medication to stop them and steroid shots. I go back Monday for another check praying its not shorter or ill probably have to go on hospital bed rest. Good luck! Hope you can keep those babies cookin for a while longer!
  • I spent some time in L&D with contractions that came every 2-3 minutes at 24 weeks, however my cervix was not shortening, so they didn't give me any meds. 

Will keep you in T&Ps!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • No experience, but wishing you all the best!
  • Great news!! Thoughts and prayers are with you!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I don't have experience with PTL and short cervix but I spent over a month on hospital BR.  Hoping everything calms down and those babies stay cooking a lot longer!  Sounds like you are in good hands.  Take care.  P.S. the high risk pregnancy board was a great support if you have to be on bed rest.
  • I've been having contractions that don't hurt regularly for the past several days. I too went to L&D but was sent home because they don't seem to be affecting my cervix.They didn't give me anything to stop them, basically just said that this is my normal.

Good luck!
  • Lots of T&Ps to you!
  • I'm 28 weeks with fraternal twin boys and haven't had this experience but I'm glad to hear things are better with you. Best wishes for continued improvement.
  • Glad to hear things have gotten better for you! Please make sure to keep us updated, here's hoping you can come home soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker

image image image
  • Did they do the fetal fibronectin test?  A negative on that is a pretty good guarantee that you won't go into labor within the next two weeks.  Then you just have it done on a two week schedule after that.

• Gibson824 said:
    Did they do the fetal fibronectin test?  A negative on that is a pretty good guarantee that you won't go into labor within the next two weeks.  Then you just have it done on a two week schedule after that.
    I was going to ask the same thing....I ended up in  L & D at 28 weeks and 32 weeks due to irritable uterus but both times the FFN was negative....they gave me the shots just in case but my boys didn't come till 38 weeks...hope the same outcome for you!
  • Gibson824 said:

Did they do the fetal fibronectin test?  A negative on that is a pretty good guarantee that you won't go into labor within the next two weeks.  Then you just have it done on a two week schedule after that.

They haven't mentioned that test. I will have to ask about it tomorrow. Thanks for advice.

I am still in the hospital and they are monitoring me each morning. Tomorrow the MFM team is back and going to reevaluate my situation.

As of this morning the heartbeats look good but the contractions are still here. Tomorrow we recheck the cervical length. Hoping I can move this bed rest party to home soon.

Thanks for all the support, personal story sharing, and advice. I really appreciate it.
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"