February 2012 Moms
Options

Are you RF or FF?

Sept07b2bSept07b2b member
edited August 2013 in February 2012 Moms
Trying to figure out who has made the turn from rear-facing to forward-facing.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Are you RF or FF? 83 votes

RF
68% 57 votes
FF
31% 26 votes
SS
0% 0 votes

Re: Are you RF or FF?

• Options
    We had planned on staying RF, but we bought a bigger vehicle and Emma started getting car sick immediately! I am guessing that because it's bigger, it jolts a little more. She was drooling a lot and screaming. Once the car would stop she would be fine. I turned her around and it was better. I have an anxiety with throwing up and feeling nauseous, so I didn't want to put Emma through it. I also didn't want to clean up throw up. 

I feel bad that we only made it to 16 months, but it's better than 12 months, I guess. This next LO will stay RF until 2 or older. Unless, of course, they have car sickness issues as well. 

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Options
    @EmmaBoBemma - that is one of the reasons I made the poll.  My DD has just started to exhibit serious signs of car sickness, and on a recent longer trip to my in-laws, actually threw up.  She just seems pretty miserable in the car now.  We felt horrible about it, and are now totally tortured by what to do.  My DS was turned at like 15 months, so DD has already made it longer than that, but I had really wanted to make it to 2.  I'm just conflicted.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lu is rear facing.  She's not 20 lbs yet so I am not sure she even could FF in our carseat.  We have a 2 door car, so at first it seemed like the biggest pain to have to climb in there to buckle her, but now we are used to it.  No signs of carsickness on our 20 min drives to and from work, but she did throw up once on a 4 hour drive.  We'll see as we take more long drives if it's a problem or if it was just a fluke.

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    Daisy is still rf. she's not 20 lbs yet and she's small enough and handles long car rides well enough that we should be able to keep her RF until 2.
  • Options
    He won't turn FF until he's at least 3. Preferably closer to 4, but he may outgrow RF mode before then.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    RF, but he started kicking the back seat really hard today, almost to the point of moving his seat. He is 25ish pounds and our seat can be RF until 40. I was hopeful to keep him RF as long as possible, but I don't know now.
  • Options
    Addy is RF in both vehicles. She is about 18 lbs so not even legal to turn her yet. We plan to RF as long as reasonably possible, we'll see what age that ends up being. The growth chart says she shouldn't reach 20 lbs until 2 so at the very least until then but I'm aiming for a good bit longer.
  • Options
    L is also still rear facing.  We are traveling for a long car ride in a few weeks so it may determine if he gets flipped if he starts getting sick.  Crossing my fingers that won't happen. So far he hasn't shown any signs of getting sick! I hope to keep him rear facing until 2 or he hits the weight limit for his car seat rear facing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Sept07b2b said:
    @EmmaBoBemma - that is one of the reasons I made the poll.  My DD has just started to exhibit serious signs of car sickness, and on a recent longer trip to my in-laws, actually threw up.  She just seems pretty miserable in the car now.  We felt horrible about it, and are now totally tortured by what to do.  My DS was turned at like 15 months, so DD has already made it longer than that, but I had really wanted to make it to 2.  I'm just conflicted.  
    Do what you feel is best. Personally, I think it's much safer to drive in a car where there isn't a screaming baby. You're worried about her throwing up on car trips and not completely focused on the road and driving. It is completely understandable. good luck!

imageimage

Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
  • Options

We're planning to stay RF until 2 (when baby #2 is born.)  I honestly don't think his seat will fit rear-facing behind the front seats in my car. . . but if it does he might just stay RF.  We'll see.

Luckily he does great on long car rides.  I myself get carsick and being small remember many station wagon trips where I got stuck rear-facing in the third row~ blec.  I agree, you will drive better if you don't have a screaming sick child in the back-seat.  You have to weigh the options.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    NatesLady1309NatesLady1309 member
    edited August 2013
    He's the only toddler we personally know who is still RF.

How sad! I wish more people understood the benefits. Even though I have explained it to my DH over and over that she is FIVE TIMES safer that way, he still views FF as a right of passage of sorts that will be so cool when I "finally let her" do it more or less.
  • Options
    We've been ff since February, thanks to motion sickness. While I would have liked to stay rf longer, it's really not been the end of the world.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • Options
    We're planning to stay RF until she's 4 since that's when the risk of internal decapitation during an accident decreases as the bones finally harden.

DH wants to flip her sooner because we have tiny cars but after doing some of his own research he agrees that she's safer.

With the carsickness- what I've read (and experienced as I still have issues with carsickness) is that it's generally looking out the side windows or trying to focus on a stationary object inside the car that causes carsickness. Is there any chance that the change in the car changed where she focuses her attention and that's causing the issue?

• Options

With the carsickness- what I've read (and experienced as I still have issues with carsickness) is that it's generally looking out the side windows or trying to focus on a stationary object inside the car that causes carsickness. Is there any chance that the change in the car changed where she focuses her attention and that's causing the issue?

For some kids nothing will help but ff. Aria screamed and got sick after 10 minutes in the car from the time she was a newborn. I tried every solution under the sun. I talked to my ped, I emailed car seat techs, moved the car seat, blocked the windows, unblocked the windows, added a mirror, took away the mirror, gave her stomach-settling foods and drinks, rolled the windows down, gave her distracting toys, tried playing a movie... You name it, I did it. Nothing helped.

At some point, you have to realize that it's much safer to drive with a healthy, happy baby than it is to drive with the distraction of a screaming, puking child. I turned her as soon as she hit the 1&20, and I don't regret it at all. You do what you have to do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • Options
    We're planning to stay RF until she's 4 since that's when the risk of internal decapitation during an accident decreases as the bones finally harden. DH wants to flip her sooner because we have tiny cars but after doing some of his own research he agrees that she's safer. With the carsickness- what I've read (and experienced as I still have issues with carsickness) is that it's generally looking out the side windows or trying to focus on a stationary object inside the car that causes carsickness. Is there any chance that the change in the car changed where she focuses her attention and that's causing the issue?
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, and that's all well and good, but what is the solution to this problem?  I don't see how I'm supposed to stop an 18 month old from looking out the window or focusing on something in the car.  I would imagine that this is what is causing the recent problems.  She is now big enough and old enough to look out the window and realize there is a world out there that is interesting.  I'm really just torn on what to do.  ugh!!  I just wish she was content in the car!  
  • Options
    We're planning to stay RF until she's 4 since that's when the risk of internal decapitation during an accident decreases as the bones finally harden. DH wants to flip her sooner because we have tiny cars but after doing some of his own research he agrees that she's safer. With the carsickness- what I've read (and experienced as I still have issues with carsickness) is that it's generally looking out the side windows or trying to focus on a stationary object inside the car that causes carsickness. Is there any chance that the change in the car changed where she focuses her attention and that's causing the issue?
    Yeah, I am not going to be able to get Emma to either focus on something inside, or only look outside.

imageimage

• Options
    Sept07b2b said:
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, and that's all well and good, but what is the solution to this problem?  I don't see how I'm supposed to stop an 18 month old from looking out the window or focusing on something in the car.  I would imagine that this is what is causing the recent problems.  She is now big enough and old enough to look out the window and realize there is a world out there that is interesting.  I'm really just torn on what to do.  ugh!!  I just wish she was content in the car!  
    Could you try ginger chews or sea bands? Those may help as well.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    lancyjo said:
    We've been ff since February, thanks to motion sickness. While I would have liked to stay rf longer, it's really not been the end of the world.

Same for us, be we didn't make the switch until May. It's been a million times better - almost no crying, and my car is finally starting to smell less like vomit since it's been a few months now.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"