Secondary IF
Options

2WW dos and don'ts?

Okay, I'm just curious how many people here "act pregnant" on the 2ww in case you actually are pregnant.

I realize that many of you do treatment cycles and that might be a different can of worms...

I guess I don't want to give everything up for 2 weeks on the slim chance that I am KU.

This month I really just want to make it business as usual. (Obviously no alcohol).

But I really just want to take Advil when I want it and drink coffee.

Anyone on here exercise?

Hoping that if I don't obsess over the swordfish I ate (or insert bad pregnancy no-no here) that it will "relax" me more?

thoughts?

Me: 27 DH: 33
Married 6 years
Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
No longer benched per New RE/OB!
Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
March 2, 2014 First AF

Re: 2WW dos and don'ts?

• Options
    I drink coffee, even when I am pregnant. I would not take a Motrin in my 2ww (I think I read it can also affect implantation, so I just stick to Tylenol) 

If I was 8dpo or more, I would test with a cheapie, to rule out pregnancy and drink whatever alcohol I wanted. Obviously I wouldn't bother testing before 8dpo, but I'd still drink if I felt like it.

I exercise everyday (elliptical) I've never stopped for the 2ww but I do think "What if this is the reason I'm not KU yet" lol The Drs have consistently told me it's fine though, so I never stopped or even eased up for that. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's funny that you posted this, because I was just wondering about what other people do or don't do.

Up until my iui cycles, I wasn't too strict with myself because I figured I wanted to enjoy myself and not obsess during the tww. I even had an occasional drink. I took Motrin and Tylenol. There were a few times during the year where I was prescribed something -- tamiflu, some prescription steroid for bad allergies, etc -- and I was sure to ask the doctor if I could take it if I was pregnant. I would drink at least one cup of coffee every day.

The one thing I've tried to avoid is taking my migraine medicine. But if the migraine was unbearable, I took it because I literally was unable to function. 

But now that I've started treatment, I've been trying to be a little bit more aware. RE told me no drinking, one cup of coffee, only Tylenol (pssh -- child's play when it comes to headaches), and moderate exercise. I haven't had any alcohol in 2 months, and (and this is major for me), I'm not drinking coffee daily...if I have a cup, I drink decaf and really only drink a few sips. I've been pretty lazy -- not a lot of exercising unless working in my classroom counts.

I guess I figure since I'm doing all of this - shots, appointments, spending money -- to improve my chances, I don't want to ruin it during the tww.  
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MJC1116 said:

I figure since I'm doing all of this - shots, appointments, spending money -- to improve my chances, I don't want to ruin it during the tww.  

Yes if I'm shelling out mega bucks for treatment it's a different story for two reasons: first it's a lot of money to blow down the drain over a Starbucks habit and also your chances of actually being pregnant are much greater.

I drink coffee, even when I am pregnant. I would not take a Motrin in my 2ww (I think I read it can also affect implantation, so I just stick to Tylenol) 

If I was 8dpo or more, I would test with a cheapie, to rule out pregnancy and drink whatever alcohol I wanted. Obviously I wouldn't bother testing before 8dpo, but I'd still drink if I felt like it.

I exercise everyday (elliptical) I've never stopped for the 2ww but I do think "What if this is the reason I'm not KU yet" lol The Drs have consistently told me it's fine though, so I never stopped or even eased up for that. 

I'm 1 DPO so no where near testing. I don't think exercise hurts your chances. I feel like it helps it if anything (light exercise).

I guess my weakness is the caffeine. If I were to drop it completely I would go through withdrawals. It is by far my biggest and only vice.

I will be mindful of the Advil but I agree. It doesn't touch my headaches (when I get one)

Married 6 years

October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    KC, caffeine is/was my weakness, too. I don't know how much coffee (or soda) you drink, but I was really afraid to kick the habit because of the withdrawals, too. I went cold turkey before I tried TTC #1, and the headaches were unbearable. But this time, it was easier and I haven't had any headaches. I was drinking 2-3 large cups (I have a Keurig, and I was pushing the biggest cup size) per day, so the first thing I did was limit to 1 caffeinated. Everything else that I craved was decaf. Then, slowly I started drinking smaller amounts of the caffeinated coffee and until, actually, I stopped craving it. Some days I don't drink any, and when I do feel like it, I drink decaf. I know decaf still has some caffeine, but I read that small amounts are fine. And if RE says 1 cup of regular is okay, then I figure I'm fine.

Funny thing is I conceived DD and drank coffee up until the 6th or 7th week. Then, when the morning sickness hit, I couldn't stand the taste or smell for about 7 weeks. When I stopped cold turkey then, I had NO withdrawals. 
    2IF issues
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

• Options
    I don't do ibuprofen or use anything with fragrance in it (implantation no nos according to dr). Those are my big two starting fertility window thru tww. Basically I might use a fragrance lotion while AF is here, but shampoos, conditioners, soaps, facial stuffs, lotions, detergents... Any of those all fragrance free for rest of month. Oh, and no hard running, only lighter running bc I did one time during tww and had sharp pains and early bleeding, could have been fluke- but I always wonder...
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I don't do ibuprofen or use anything with fragrance in it (implantation no nos according to dr). Those are my big two starting fertility window thru tww. Basically I might use a fragrance lotion while AF is here, but shampoos, conditioners, soaps, facial stuffs, lotions, detergents... Any of those all fragrance free for rest of month. Oh, and no hard running, only lighter running bc I did one time during tww and had sharp pains and early bleeding, could have been fluke- but I always wonder...

Could you explain the fragrance thing some more? I'm intrigued...

I love fragrance. Perfume, body spray, laundry detergent, shampoo, lotion, you name it.

Married 6 years

March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    So from what my doctor told me it messes up with the hormones needed for an Embie to implant. It wreaks havoc on the lining or something- I did quick search just now and found the following:
    "Avoiding synthetic estrogens and hormone mimics in personal care products may also be good for cultivating ovarian health. Buying organic shampoos, conditioners, perfumes, lotions and cosmetics while avoiding synthetic perfumes and products containing ‘fragrance’ can help to keep synthetic estrogen-like chemicals out of your body."
    This article from bump gives you lots of things to avoid (detergent for laundry at bottom)
    https://m.thebump.com/getting-pregnant/fertility-ovulation/articles/10-ways-home-making-you-infertil

Ad here is some information that while days for pregnancy- goes for trying to conceive too- this closest to what I remember doctor and nurses explaining to me:
    6. Heavy Fragrances
    Many fragrances contain phthalates as carriers. There are a wide range of phthalates, some of which are less harmful than others. But these ingredients are rarely disclosed on labels, hiding behind the general descriptor fragrance. If you are not certain the product is free of phthalates with potential for reproductive toxicity, it is better to avoid it during pregnancy. Phthalates can imitate natural hormones in the body responsible for the proper growth and development of a fetus. Because growth is very sensitive to small concentrations of these hormones, it is considered dangerous to have even low levels of exposure during pregnancy.

Fragrance-free: While you are minimizing perfumed beauty products, do away with air fresheners and any other product intended to release scent.
    From : https://parentables.howstuffworks.com/health-wellness/top-10-beauty-products-avoid-during-pregnancy.html

So I use aveeno fragrance free lotions and soaps (hopefully they are paraban free.. I keep forgetting to check, but I think I did before when bought them) and use Tom's fragrance free deodorant. Also, fragrance and paraban shampoo and conditioner. Anyway- I have had people tell me I am nuts before- those crazy teens getting pregnant using alm sorts of crap right? I figure we have enough going against us that if this gives an Embie any extra help, who is it hurting? No one and it is helping me too right? So please no one knocking me on this- just trying to share what doctors nurses told me and what I do! :) once in a while I use an organic lotion w lavendar essential oils, was told they are fine, but I still limit them. Oh and hair care aside from shampoo conditioner- I use some coconut oil to maintain frizzies and just let my hair curl naturally, never been a blow dry kind if girl (all though straighten sometimes with a curling iron!)

FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Momarazzi007

First off, I would never knock anyone for saying anything on here. Second of all, I assure you, I have tried crazier and more desperate measures in the name of ttc than going-fragrance free.

With that said, I will try nearly anything almost once.

I find this information very interesting. I'm tempted to go to the store right now and make the switch!

But...I love fragrance. I am so weird I even like the chemical smell of hairspray (I know that's crazy)

Are there any scents that are okay? Like essiential oils or something? (Oh wait, I just read that you said they are okay. I LOVE the smell of lavendar!)

I do believe in organic and I buy most of meat and produce organic or from our farmer's market, which is awesome.

You let your hair curl naturally?! I am naturlly curly and I hate it. I fight the humidity here and straight iron the crap out of my hair with a CHI! I know I will go to hair-care hell for that. BUT on the bright-side all the prenatal vitamins I am taking are making my hair and nails look great!

Anyway, feel free to PM me and we just chat!

Married 6 years

March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    @momarazzi007, that's really interesting! I may have to make the switch myself! I can imagine the fragrance bit to have a lot of truth to it. You know how many pregnant women are put off by the smell of perfume due to morning sickness? I wonder if that's a way to protect the growing baby. Kind of like how certain foods are unappealing at that time. It's like the body's natural defenses kick into gear. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Target today for some fragrance free goods (and unplugging my Bath and Body Works plug ins!)

(Does the Toms deodorant work well?)
    2IF issues

• Options
    "You know how many pregnant women are put off by the smell of perfume due to morning sickness? I wonder if that's a way to protect the growing baby. Kind of like how certain foods are unappealing at that time. It's like the body's natural defenses kick into gear"

Yes! I didn't even think of that!

Married 6 years

March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    Toms seems to work well enough. Not as good as my favorite dove or secret, but enough that I am not sweating profusely and I am not stinky at end of day lol. I consider that a success!
    KC, didn't think you'd call me nuts, but I have had people give me cuckoo eyes before!!! Lol. Yeah, I love the scents too, my fav one is a fabric softener, love my sheets after that but it will be awhile till I do that again! Miss Bath and Body works... Love their Christmas sparkle sprays... Sigh... Lol.
    MJC, you have got to be on to something!!! I had the really bad Morning sickness w dd- and that was when hubby has just started using axe shower stuff, after a month or so he ran out and I got better. I always joked him I should have chucked the bottle when he wasn't home, but maybe I should have!!!

FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh, and curly hair- NOT MY FAVORITE. But I always swore that once I had a kid I would devote the time it took to do my hair to kid and embrace my inner lion mane lol. I find the more conditioned it is the better the curls turn out- hence coconut oil. Ever hear of curly girl method? I still have to wash my hair, just can't not-, but condition w coconut oil really helps!!

FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Oh, and curly hair- NOT MY FAVORITE. But I always swore that once I had a kid I would devote the time it took to do my hair to kid and embrace my inner lion mane lol. I find the more conditioned it is the better the curls turn out- hence coconut oil. Ever hear of curly girl method? I still have to wash my hair, just can't not-, but condition w coconut oil really helps!!

What a nice way to look at it! Funny thing is- DH loves my hair curly and I hate it. I could not stick to the curly girl method but I do like the "plopping" technique.

I just bought huge stock of laundry detergent and softener so I won't be switching that out any time soon. I feel compelled to finish it. I might switch my body wash and stuff out.
    Maybe just cut back on fragrance instead of giving it up completely...

Which brings me to my next question: what do you ladies like to clean with?

I love the Mrs Meyers products :) and I also use vinegar.

But I confess I do soak my sons toys in a small amount of bleach mixed with HOT water after each bout of sickness.

And I wash his soft toys in the washing machine and I boil his pacifiers.

Married 6 years

March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options

MJC1116  What kind of meds do you take for migraines? I am a long time sufferer of migraines and cluster headaches. I have been told to stay off mine. (I take maxalt, it dulls it but never makes them go away) I had a migraine all day yesterday and suffered through it.

And for everyone on this scent business... I have NEVER thought about it.  Guess I got some reading to do.  I have to straighten my hair everyday.

I wish I had the option for curly, I just get wavy poofs that look rough.

• Options
    @freakyfast, I am on the generic form of Imitrex (sumatritan). That's good to know about Maxalt. My insurance doesn't cover that one, I think because it's new, so it would have been around $300 for 6 pills. My friend takes it, though, and swears by it. I guess to each his own, right?  Imitrex works well most of the time, but there have been a few doozies that have required 2 within 24 hours, and even then I still felt a residual headache. My doctors (GP, OB, and RE) have all said NO to migraine meds :( bummer. Though, I have to admit that acupuncture has really helped me control my migraines. I was getting up to 6 a month, and now it's once every other month usually.

A trick that a friend taught me... when it's so bad that you have to lay down, take an ice pack and put it behind your neck. I prefer a frozen bag of peas because it has movement. In fact, we have a pack of peas in the freezer in a ziplock that says "MIGRAINES ONLY" lol :)
    2IF issues

• Options
    MJC1116 - Well I will say this much, Maxalt has worked the best, and if i can catch it soon enough it helps.  Also they just started making a generic Maxalt... I will have to look to see what it says on my package, but maybe your insurance will cover it.  (Well when you can start taking it again).  Being taken off of that medicine has been the hardest. I will have to try the peas. :) 

I am scared of acupuncture.  
    :-SS
    Also I am hearing botox is becoming a big thing for headaches. 

• Options
    KC1212 said:
    What a nice way to look at it! Funny thing is- DH loves my hair curly and I hate it. I could not stick to the curly girl method but I do like the "plopping" technique. I just bought huge stock of laundry detergent and softener so I won't be switching that out any time soon. I feel compelled to finish it. I might switch my body wash and stuff out. Maybe just cut back on fragrance instead of giving it up completely... Which brings me to my next question: what do you ladies like to clean with? I love the Mrs Meyers products :) and I also use vinegar. But I confess I do soak my sons toys in a small amount of bleach mixed with HOT water after each bout of sickness. And I wash his soft toys in the washing machine and I boil his pacifiers.
    I just started cleaning my toilets with vinegar and baking soda.  I am waiting for my other cleaning products to run out before I make homemade.  I have all the recipes on my pinterest so I can switch over to all natural cleaning products. I started making my own laundry detergent a few months ago.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

• Options
    @ Amores0121 do you like the laundry detergent?

Would you care to share your recipe? Or is it secret? :)

Married 6 years

March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options

Since I am still TTC naturally, I don't change much during my TWW.  I still drink coffee (once a day), take meds, exercise and drink.  However, if I am 11dpo I will test first.  I also take daily medication that I have to quit immediately upon a BFP but I can't stop taking it every time I have a 2ww or I would just be totally effed up.  In short, I don't change much.  If I was spending $ on fertility treatments, that would be a different story.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

• Options
    Where do you find fragrance free shampoo and conditioners? Are they much more expensive than regular? I have heard that the Honest brand is good and paraben free.

• Options
    Sometimes I wonder if you did all the stuff you're probably not supposed to do, you might have a positive outcome.  I just wonder that sometimes, but I don't really change much either, as far as drinking coffee lets say.  I might have one cup instead of two.  Once we start paying for fertility, I will make changes beforehand so there are no 'changes' to be made during the 2WW.  

• Options

Sometimes I wonder if you did all the stuff you're probably not supposed to do, you might have a positive outcome.  I just wonder that sometimes, but I don't really change much either, as far as drinking coffee lets say.  I might have one cup instead of two.  Once we start paying for fertility, I will make changes beforehand so there are no 'changes' to be made during the 2WW.  

LOL! you are probably right. When I got pregnant I had no clue as we had given up, I took a 6 mile (4 hour) trail ride on horseback through dense woods and also got poison ivy that day. Little did I know I was 6 weeks along at the time.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was so tired so I drank energy drinks at work.

Needless to say I was absolutely beside myself.

Married 6 years

March 2, 2014 First AF

• Options
    I don't really make any changes during the 2WW but I also don't drink coffee and rarely drink alcohol. I have tried to change to using more natural cleaning products and eating better but that's more for our general health than anything for TTC.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    My Chart
    My Blog
    Me - no issues DH - diagnosed with stage 2 testicular cancer in March 2013
    Married 2009 TTC#2 since July 2013
    July 2013 IUI#1 - Femara+Menopur+Ovidrel = BFN
    August 2013 IUI#2 - Femara+Menopur+Ovidrel = BFN
    December 2013 IVF - Gonal-F, Novarel trigger
    ER: 12/19 9R 8M 6F with ICSI
    ET: 12/24 transferred 1 grade 5AA blast; 2 frozen
  • Options
    I also don't drink alcohol but do like my morning coffee and love iced tea. I don't really change that in the 2WW. I do think about when I make doctor and dentist appointments just in case though.

DS born Jan 2010

TTC#2 since Nov 2010 with breaks for DH cancer tx (remission!)

Tube with hydro removed Feb 2013

BFP 11/11/13 IUI#2 clomid+trigger+prometrium

Beta #1 14dpIUI=106; Beta #2 16dpIUI=287; Beta #3 20dpIUI=1158

5w6d 1 hb 109 and 2nd smaller sac; 7w0d 1 hb 125 and confirmed vanishing twin

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KC1212 said: 
    LOL! you are probably right. When I got pregnant I had no clue as we had given up, I took a 6 mile (4 hour) trail ride on horseback through dense woods and also got poison ivy that day. Little did I know I was 6 weeks along at the time. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was so tired so I drank energy drinks at work. Needless to say I was absolutely beside myself.
    I had seared ahi tuna one night, and I thought I probably shouldn't eat this, but really what are the chances.  When my doc told me I was pregnant in March, I said omg I had ahi tuna once, and she just looked at me like I was crazy for mentioning it. Then she gave me the 'do not eat list'.  Then she said it was ok, that i had it once. haha. 

• Options
    Sweetest116Sweetest116 member
    edited August 2013
    The only thing I don't do is Advil or Motrin.  Instead I take Tylenol.  Otherwise fill up my coffee cup, get me a bottle of wine, get my running shoes, cut me some salami and let me pop a Xanax!
    <3 Baby #1 BFP 6/10/2011-EDD 2/19/2012-DS Born 2/10/2012!
    :'(  CP BFP 1/6/2013-EDD 9/19/2013-CP 1/9/2013
    <3 Baby #2 BFP 1/3/2014-EDD 9/12/2014 -DD Born 9/10/2014!
    <3 Baby #3 BFP 7/8/2018-EDD 3/17/2019-Team Green!

• Options
    Oh and speaking of 2WW.  I guess I am officially in my last natural 2WW.  (That is depending on how our follow up meeting goes to discuss a timeline for IVF on the 26th).  

And yes, I was opk'ing it and we are actively still trying hoping for a miracle. 
    :\">

• Options
    freakyfastfreakyfast member
    edited August 2013
     Otherwise fill up my coffee cup, get me a bottle of wine, get my running shoes, cut me some salami and let me pop a Xanax!
    Sweetest116 This sounds like a great day!!! 

• Options
    Reading all of this makes me feel better about eating a hot dog for lunch today and I'm 8 dpiui. :) There was literally nothing in the fridge and it sounded SO good. 

(Truth alert: I ate Dodger dogs when I was pregnant with my DD... I birthed the biggest Dodger fan ever as a result). ;)
    2IF issues

• Options
    I

Where do you find fragrance free shampoo and conditioners? Are they much more expensive than regular? I have heard that the Honest brand is good and paraben free.

Sorry, didn't see this til just now. I basically just look at them all til I find ones that say fragrance and paraban free, currently using Alba Botanica and does really well. Found the shampoo and conditioner as set at target on sale full size for less than one desperate so just kind of lucked out on that. :)

FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I
    Sorry, didn't see this til just now. I basically just look at them all til I find ones that say fragrance and paraban free, currently using Alba Botanica and does really well. Found the shampoo and conditioner as set at target on sale full size for less than one desperate so just kind of lucked out on that. :)

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"