March 2014 Moms
Options

Getting very jealous and more and more worried...

I know its the FTM in me speaking, but I am getting very jealous of all of you that are having regular U/S and seeing heartbeats and stuff already.... I don't even see my OB for the first time until 11 weeks, and more than likely won't get an U/S until 20 weeks..... (stupid Canada...) As it is, my mom and grandma both had 3-4 miscarriages each, and unless I start to bleed, I won't even know anything is happening - I just have to have faith.... and that is not exactly a reassuring feeling.  

Also - I hate hormones.... great mood one second, super bitchy the next.
First Pregnancy Confirmed: July 18, 2013 ~ EDD: March 19, 2014 BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Getting very jealous and more and more worried...

• Options
    I feel your pain! I won't even meet my OB until week 12 (Australia here) so I have nothing but my symptoms to keep me warm in the meantime.

That said, I opted to get the NT (Nuchal Translucency) tests (includes blood work and an ultrasound at 12 weeks to check for downs and other abnormalities). From what I understand, these tests have to be done around that time. Unless you already opted out of them, you may still be able to call and request them, and in doing so get to see your bean during your 12 week timeframe.

GL and hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am in a similar boat! My midwife won't do an U/S until 18-20 weeks but luckily my insurance covers the Nucal translucency so I'll be able to have my first U/S at little over 12 weeks. Feels like foreverrrrrr until 17-sept!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I told my friends I had a seven week scan and, some say that they don't bother until the 13 weeks, I've had to get some done every second week because of two threatned miscarriages
  • Options

if you really want one are there any ultra sound places by you? In the US they are common and for a low fee you can see your baby. Just an idea

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    edited August 2013
    Well, that's odd.

I'm in Ontario. The dating u/s is not standard procedure for my doctor but I've always had it because I asked (for various reasons).

I've definitely always been offered the NT scan. And that is covered by provincial insurance.

I'm not seeing my OB until the end of August either but these are all tests that my family doctor was able to order.

Have you asked?
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy, the only ultrasound I had was at 20wks and that was the only one covered by insurance. The other 2 I had to get later one, I had to pay out of pocket. Also didn't get in to see dr til 11 weeks. Last year I had a loss, so this time I have had 2 ultrasounds already, but had to pay out of pocket because insurance covers only 1. I know it's hard, just consider yourself in a good place to not need them.
  • Options
    I've had two ultrasounds already because of a history of infertility and to rule out ectopic...I'll have one more before being released from my RE to my OB...

...I'd gladly have been pregnant almost 2 years ago and wait for an US than have a hard time and get a few early ones. But that's just me...

Anniversary

• Options
    I had an early u/s Friday because I'm being under the care of a RE. It was a huge disappointment. As much as you want to see what's going on, I think I'd have rathered wait few extra weeks. When you go there will be no guessing about anything. Being in limbo waiting for another scan is sucks.

Good luck to you.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • Options

Some of us might be getting more ultrasounds, but you get the best maternity leave!!  I, for one, will be jealous of you then!!

OMG!! This exactly!!! I'm praying I will be able to afford taking off the whole 12 weeks!! I wish it was more!!

Anniversary

• Options
    One more thing I need to say about your "stupid Canada" comment.

When the time comes, if you need a c-section or god forbid, your baby has to spend time in NICU - at least you won't have to stress about the hospital bill. Which, for some people, can be tens of thousands of dollars.

Please, count your blessings before you say something you don't even understand.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Options
    I know it's difficult not knowing, but definitely count yourself as lucky that you don't NEED the early u/s.  And unless your mom and grandma were found to have a specific genetic reason why they miscarried, it does not affect you whatsoever so try not to let that stress you out.  Their pregnancies are not yours.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    This subject has come up a lot lately. Like others have said you should feel lucky you don't need an early u/s. Plus, with an early one you can't see a whole lot. I don't have one scheduled until almost 14 weeks. At first I was nervous about it because I saw "everyone" else getting them done, but now I'm cool with it. The first time I'll see baby, I'll be able to see him/her moving around in there, instead of a blog.....and that's pretty awesome!
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    Yeah, I'll trade you my dating ultrasound for your 52 week maternity leave. Just say the word and we can switch.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yeah I'm in BC and the dating ultrasound is pretty standard. Like I said on another thread, doctors are all different. I get mine tomorrow 10w, 3d. Also, midwifery care is FREE, and when I went high risk last time and needed a hospital stay, 8 extra ultrasounds in two weeks, and endless lab work, also free. I get a birthing suite at the hospital, with a huge soaker tub I can labor in, a big comfy bed for my husband so he can stay, all the equipment to care for my child in my room, so it never leaves my sight. I can choose to have the room even if I still go with a midwife and I pay nothing (well except higher taxes than the states - lets be fair). I can take a year off. Things are very, very good here.
    Plus, god forbid, anything is wrong with the baby, our trips to one of the best children's hospitals in the world were paid for, including hotel stays. My daughters medical care in the two years after she was born would have BANKRUPTED us if we'd still been living in the states. We didn't pay a dime. My husband is American and yes, there are major flaws in both systems, but maternity and care for a sick child are not lacking here.
    However, because you're super lucky and it's still early, have you thought about a midwife? The first doctor I saw gave me the same line you're getting (Ill see you at week 12 if you don't miscarry) and I went with a midwife. I had my little girl in the hospital with exactly the same but better care. Appointments are longer, you're so much better informed. I love mine. Even when I became high risk and had to have an OB consult she was still there and pretty much delivered my little girl, while the OB looked on :) it's something to think about anyway.

Whew!! Sorry- that was long. But I've lived both places. Hope it helps :)
  • Options
    Also in Canada--are you in a remote part of Ontario?  Here you see your GP monthly starting at around 8-9 weeks.  You should for sure have the option for the NT scan at around 12 weeks.  
    Me and my Kiwi, both 38.  We struggled with RPL and were blessed with Micah.  I'm a full custody stepmom to Ethan!

image     image

• Options
    I really wasn't trying to bash Canada altogether..... I love living here and wouldn't change it for the world. I was just frustrated b/c I won't know how baby is doing for a while. I know I should count my blessings that I dont NEED an early U/S, and I do. It's just hard not knowing. And I am in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.... The biggest city in our province. I haven't asked for the screening, as I haven't seen my OB yet and thought I had to ask her. I may actually call our insurance provider and ask if a second U/S is covered through them.... Sorry I offended anyone by being upset at midnight last night - I didn't mean to imply that I would rather have the need for the early care.

And good luck to those of you going through difficult pregnancies.
    First Pregnancy Confirmed: July 18, 2013 ~ EDD: March 19, 2014 BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kcanuckkcanuck member
    edited August 2013
    Your GP should be overseeing that in Toon town.  At least that's how it has been for my friends there.  :)  Good luck! 

ETA: I have no idea how I thought you were in Ontario LOL.  Reading comprehension while a toddler menaces your computer is HARD.  :)  
    Me and my Kiwi, both 38.  We struggled with RPL and were blessed with Micah.  I'm a full custody stepmom to Ethan!

image     image

• Options
    What about just continuing to take home pregnancy tests? Would that help give you some piece of mind? I felt how you described before my u/s at 8 weeks. It won't be long!
  • Options
    Unless there's a problem, I only get one U/S at 20 weeks. I won't hear the heart beat til my 12 week+ appointment. It's kinda nerve wracking but it is what it is.

• Options
    I have a history of m/c, but I opted NOT to have any early u/s this pregnancy.  As a friend pointed out, early u/s only provide temporary relief- because they are so early and something could still go wrong.  I'm not seeing my OB at all until 8w4d and while it's been a struggle not to panic, it's for the best.  Hang in there!
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Laura8388 said:

Wow, you seriously have to pay for medical bills in the states? That's unreal!!
    (Sorry for being so naive, I am from New Zealand and haven't been in Canada that long to learn much about the states as well)

Yep. Some people have it better than others though, depends on your insurance which usually depends on where you work. Thankfully, I'll only pay $500 for this pregnancy. My MIL has terrible insurance and has to pay a $10k deductible per family member before any kind of hospital stay or procedure is covered.

Yay America!
  • Options
    We had our deductible covered by the time January rolled it over and DD was due in mid Feb so we had to start over again :( I think the hospital bill we had to pay was $2200 on top of whatever we had to cover with all the prenatal visits.

• Options
    AllieHysh said:

I know its the FTM in me speaking, but I am getting very jealous of all of you that are having regular U/S and seeing heartbeats and stuff already.... I don't even see my OB for the first time until 11 weeks, and more than likely won't get an U/S until 20 weeks..... (stupid Canada...) As it is, my mom and grandma both had 3-4 miscarriages each, and unless I start to bleed, I won't even know anything is happening - I just have to have faith.... and that is not exactly a reassuring feeling.  

Also - I hate hormones.... great mood one second, super bitchy the next.
    Honestly if its that big of a deal go pay for an elective ultrasound. You are so lucky to have a low risk pregnancy!
    You are also lucky to live in Canada where you don't have to pay out of pocket for appointments and tests. It has nothing to do with the country you live in, what you are complaining about is standard care, and better care then a lot of other countries receive.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow, you seriously have to pay for medical bills in the states? That's unreal!! (Sorry for being so naive, I am from New Zealand and haven't been in Canada that long to learn much about the states as well)
    Yep. Some people have it better than others though, depends on your insurance which usually depends on where you work. Thankfully, I'll only pay $500 for this pregnancy. My MIL has terrible insurance and has to pay a $10k deductible per family member before any kind of hospital stay or procedure is covered. Yay America!
    Yep it varies a ton by insurance. On my current insurance it'll run us around 6K because we're high deductible & with the due date being in March, we won't have put much of a dent in that. If my hubby gets the job he's going for, It'll cost us $250. 

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • Options
    If we keep the insurance we have currently (depends on if DH gets this new job he's going for)...we'll pay 100.00 for the delivery. No prenatal copays at all.

Anniversary

• Options
    Laura8388 said:
    Wow. That sucks!!!! Is there no type of government medical care at all?
    There is government medical care here (I am not an expert), for those who are older (Medicare) and for the poor/disabled (Medicaid). If you don't have insurance and can't afford it, I'm pretty sure all states allow any pregnant woman to get Medicaid. But, that's only if you don't have insurance. If you have insurance with a high deductible, you're on the hook for that money. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"