August 2013 Moms

How do you feel about BFing in public?

Re: How do you feel about BFing in public?

• I breastfeed anywhere.

I only use a cover if it makes me more comfortable. I used one for a bit with DS, and then didn't once we got confident and he got a giant noggin that hid most of the view. I doubt most of you "OMG! Cover up!" folks have even a hint of what nursing an older baby will be like. You'll look back and smile at yourself in a few months if you're still at it. These decisions involve two people, not just you. Your baby will have an opinion.

I won't be back at work until around a year; at that point, I don't need to pump. I did keep nursing when together with DS.
    Yeah, I'm super curious how my relationship is going to progress with my child as she gets older and I'm breastfeeding. Once she has an opinion on the matter, I might not have a choice. 

I appreciate the perspective of a BTDT mom. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been BF in public anywhere with a cover, but I was having a heck of a time getting her latched under my "Hooter Hider" (I swear that is what my cover is called,) and yanked it down for a minute to get if figured out the then put it back on.

Once with DD1 I had a guy at a horse show look "too long and hard" once when I was trying to get the job done under a swaddle blanket. A friend said something to him to the effect of, "Wow, you're creepy." to which the man replied, "Oh I'm creepy but your girlfriend has her tits hanging out?" (Charming.) I invested in the "Hooter Hider" shortly there after.

I had a friend inform me there are some men who have a "lactation fetish". Ummm gross... I'll be covering up, mostly because that information skeeved me out a bit. Although, if my DD won't latch, I reserve the right to change my mind.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not gonna go hide in a corner, but I will cover up. 
    Samesies. I breastfed my first at as varied locations as Stonehenge, the local library, work, and church. I'll cover up, but if the kid needs to eat, the kid needs to eat.

I have my own office at work, so thankfully that won't be an issue... When I had J, I didn't have a private office, so I had to talk to co-workers about using their space a few times a day. It sucked a little, but I wasn't about to sacrifice my supply.
  • BellaOso said:
    I have been BF in public anywhere with a cover, but I was having a heck of a time getting her latched under my "Hooter Hider" (I swear that is what my cover is called,) and yanked it down for a minute to get if figured out the then put it back on.

Once with DD1 I had a guy at a horse show look "too long and hard" once when I was trying to get the job done under a swaddle blanket. A friend said something to him to the effect of, "Wow, you're creepy." to which the man replied, "Oh I'm creepy but your girlfriend has her tits hanging out?" (Charming.) I invested in the "Hooter Hider" shortly there after.

I had a friend inform me there are some men who have a "lactation fetish". Ummm gross... I'll be covering up, mostly because that information skeeved me out a bit. Although, if my DD won't latch, I reserve the right to change my mind.
    Whoa! That's the first I've heard of that. Ew. Ew, ew, ew. 

Of all things... And somehow I'm not even surprised.

• Honestly? I've been at it for over 2 straight years and I can't think of one single occasion where a man made me feel uncomfortable. I do tend to use a cover in places where I feel it's appropriate (say, church or in front of my male inlaws). I don't use one where it's obviously unnecessary (breastfeeding support group, mom's group). I don't usually use one in "in between" places like a restaurant or the park or whatever. Every woman should find her own comfort zone, and most women will become less inhibited over time. I was shy 2 years and 3 months ago. Now... I have to remind myself that I should care.

Men have foot fetishes; I still wear sandals.
  • BellaOso said:

I have been BF in public anywhere with a cover, but I was having a heck of a time getting her latched under my "Hooter Hider" (I swear that is what my cover is called,) and yanked it down for a minute to get if figured out the then put it back on.

Ewww creepy!
  • I do cover up in public if i have something along (a + a blankets are great for that), but not around people I know. I try to at least be a little discreet, though.

I prefer to find a more private place when I can. I think it is nicer for both of us to have less distraction. Plus, one of the things I've found about BFing is that it's a great excuse to get away for a little and have some one on one time with the baby, especially when they're little and everyone wants to hold them. I remember family gatherings where I'd have to find DS in the house because he was passed around so much.

At work, we have three nursing mother rooms for pumping, which I help to run. They are equipped with a refrigerator, mirror, table, chair, cleaning supplies, and storage space. Mothers sign up for 30 minute increments throughout the day. Last time I pumped for about a year, scaling back from three times a day to one by the end.
    I'm super curious because there is this movement I've noticed on Facebook where women no longer cover up which I do think is awesome. But sometiiiiiiiiiiimes they get a little preachy and almost shame women who feel more comfortable covering from doing so. 
    I'll be covering up b.c 1) I'm not showing off my goodies 2) I might get cold 3) I don't want baby getting distracted.

Oh and 4) it is about feeding my child not making a political statement
    Touche. It should not be a political statement. 
    no it *should not* be a political statement and I hope that for me it never has to be. Though I live in NC and since its illegal for a woman to expose her nipple as of this year, I'll probably cover up. Honestly, I'm pretty modest, so I'd probably cover up anyway, but part of me wants to become a lactivist for that reason alone. I mean seriously I have seen men exposing larger breasts than mine at the beach, but thats still perfectly legal.. lol :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Honestly? I've been at it for over 2 straight years and I can't think of one single occasion where a man made me feel uncomfortable. I do tend to use a cover in places where I feel it's appropriate (say, church or in front of my male inlaws). I don't use one where it's obviously unnecessary (breastfeeding support group, mom's group). I don't usually use one in "in between" places like a restaurant or the park or whatever. Every woman should find her own comfort zone, and most women will become less inhibited over time. I was shy 2 years and 3 months ago. Now... I have to remind myself that I should care.

Long story short: a homeless man followed me around a department store and when turned after leaning down to grab a pair of shoes, he was masturbating in my face. I am hopeful that once we move out of our current city to a more suburban neighborhood, I won't feel as intimidated by men, but for now I air on the side of caution. We have some crazies here. 
    I'm super curious because there is this movement I've noticed on Facebook where women no longer cover up which I do think is awesome. But sometiiiiiiiiiiimes they get a little preachy and almost shame women who feel more comfortable covering from doing so. 
    I'll be covering up b.c 1) I'm not showing off my goodies 2) I might get cold 3) I don't want baby getting distracted.

no it *should not* be a political statement and I hope that for me it never has to be. Though I live in NC and since its illegal for a woman to expose her nipple as of this year, I'll probably cover up. Honestly, I'm pretty modest, so I'd probably cover up anyway, but part of me wants to become a lactivist for that reason alone. I mean seriously I have seen men exposing larger breasts than mine at the beach, but thats still perfectly legal.. lol :)
    LOL lactivist. I like that. 

Long story short: a homeless man followed me around a department store and when turned after leaning down to grab a pair of shoes, he was masturbating in my face. I am hopeful that once we move out of our current city to a more suburban neighborhood, I won't feel as intimidated by men, but for now I air on the side of caution. We have some crazies here. 
    oh my. get outta there!! :(

oh my. get outta there!! :(
    It's a beautiful city, really. It's just super close to a highway so all of the transient folks end up here during the winter because it's warm. We are moving next week. I'm kind of sad, but it's in the best interest of our child. 

All of this and also I would not want to put any other parents or grandparents who have not exposed their children to having to try to explain what I am doing. I am open about breast feeding just don't feel that it is my place to open that door for families who choose not too

• I prefer to nurse in private places. I hate that when I say that on TB I always get some B telling me it's normal and natural and she will nurse anywhere. Which I always want to say...well good for you. And you go girl! Why does my choice for privacy affect you?

I have no problem with women nursing anywhere and everywhere. And I don't care whether they use a cover or not. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just prefer to find a quiet place away from others.

I used an a+a blanket as a cover last time. It was light and airy so he was never in the dark. However once he got to about 6 or 7 months old he hated being under the blanket, which made me uncomfortable to not have a cover. It's a personal thing.

Thankfully I live outside a fairly large city and as a SAHM I frequent a lot of child friendly places with nursing areas. It's great. Of course, if my baby is starving and needs to eat, of course I will nurse where needed. I just never was in a position where I couldn't find a place I felt comfortable.

Now that I will have a 2 year old and a NB, I will have to find a quiet place with more privacy to nurse because my son is a runner. And I fear for his safety if he isn't strapped in a stroller or with me in a nursing room with a door because he wanders too much.

I just think nursing is great. No matter how you choose to do it, it's a great thing as long as everyone is happy and well fed. :)
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• I guess it depends on the situation, I wasn't able to nurse at the pediatrician office the other day because they didn't have a room, which I was surprised. I didn't want to sit in the waiting room with all these kids around and nurse either. I would cover up of course.

Our office has a wellness rooms for mothers to pump. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• There's no way in hell I would sit in a gross toilet stall, or inconvenience myself trying to find a private place to feed my child. I will nurse where ever. But I will cover up until I get the hang of BF discretely.
  • I'm in the minority - I'll probably try to find a pretty private place, and if I can't, potentially use my car.  I'm just a very shy girl when it comes to these kinds of things (um, sometimes I feel like skirts that hit above my knee are a little bit scandalous) and I think I'll be calmer, which will be better for baby, if I'm in my own space.

This is me. I BF'd DD for 18 months and only BF'd in public once. I have no issues with someone else BFing in public but its just not for me. I was always able to find a private place.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • lydsyjane said:
    LAMuehlen said:
    I'm not gonna go hide in a corner, but I will cover up. 

I cover ds up cause he likes to pull off then latch back on. And really no one needs to see my breast in all its glory. That being said, i still get weird looks if im holding ds with a blanket over him. What about bf is so offensive to people?

That, I do not understand. I do notice that certain members of society would rather lock a nursing mother in a closet than to see her BFing even covered. It is not offensive, it's natural. That being said, my own mother constantly attempts to talk me out of nursing. I think she feels that because I'm deciding to nurse, I'm somehow declaring her a bad parent as she did not. Perhaps people who didn't breastfeed or weren't breastfed have some sort of aggression toward it. I don't know. 
    This blows my mind!
    I've had friends in the same situation and I strongly suspect that parents (or anyone who extends that sort of advice) tend to feel somehow judged by it. 
    my friend's mom did that. It was because their generation (30 somewhat years ago) they primarily use formula, because that was in back then. Nowadays a lot of people are attempting to breastfeed again. 

• There's no way in hell I would sit in a gross toilet stall, or inconvenience myself trying to find a private place to feed my child. I will nurse where ever. But I will cover up until I get the hang of BF discretely.

Lol. Who brought up toliet stalls for nursing? Ewww. Is an A13 mom doing that? I only half read the previous responses.

Again, I'm lucky that I live somewhere where private places can be found other than bathrooms I guess! :).

The Nordstrom and Von maur's have women's lounges that have puffy chairs to nurse, plus all the outdoor shopping centers have mothers lounges and at target I just pop in a dressing room. I have a very friendly city for nursing moms. :)

Again, I guess it's different, as a SAHM I'm at the park a lot or at friends houses for play dates during the week. And that's just free nursing territory IMO. I just sit down somewhere and nurse with my little cover there.

Def no bathrooms! ;).
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• With LO being less than a week old, we've only BF'd at home, the hospital and my Mom's house. While in the hospital, I didn't feel the need to cover up in front of FI, any of the nurses, or any of our doctors. 

I did not nurse while FI's family was there. Thankfully they left when they realized that LO was ready to get down and eat! I did nurse in front of my Mom and brother, but I wore a cover so my brother wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

While at my Mom's house, I nursed in the playroom. I like having a quiet place to nurse, especially while I still get the hang of it! When we actually start taking LO out, I'll feed her when she wants to be fed. I'll try and find a quiet place first, but if I can't, I'll use my cover.

I'm sure I won't mind going without my cover once I figure out how to nurse more discreetly.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Dressing rooms are awesome, more so becauseyou can spread out, dump your stuff, and really relax. Ditto for nursing lounges. But that said, I had no problem nursing in public, either with my cover (which I loved) or a blanket. We are lucky to have covers! My Brazilian cousin had never seen one before and had me order and ship her 2 when she had her first baby a few weeks ago. She says people are amazed everywhere she uses it and her friends all want one. Its normal there to just whip 'em out. Which n her opinion, is fine at the beach, but not at the mall. I agree.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am not sure what I will do yet. I have fed him once in a mothers room at the mall but otherwise I haven't had to feed him out yet. At home and in front of my parents and sisters I have no problem whipping them out, but when my sisters boyfriend is over I use my "Hooter hider" which is really uncomfortable because it still takes him awhile to latch properly, and I have to put my head under it to make sure he gets it right.

Married 07/17/2010
    Diagnosed with PCOS 10/20/2010 
    TTC since Oct 2010 
    BFP #1 March 31st 2011 Due December 10 2011 
    Missed m/c discovered June 2nd 2011 at 12w4d
    D&C scheduled June 7th 2011 at 13w2d
    Found out our baby boy had Triploidy XXY through embryopathology
    BFP #2 September 28th 2011 Due June 8th 2012
    Missed m/c discovered November 20th 2011 at 11w2d
    D&C November 29th 2011 at 12w4d
    Found out our baby girl had Monosomy X through embryopathology
    BFP #3 April 24th 2012 Due January 5th 2013
    Betas falling on 04/26/12 Chemical Pregnancy
    RPL testing done, multi nodular goiters on thyroid discovered.

BFP #4 November 22nd 2012, Due August 5th 2013
    Betas: 17 @ 9dpo, 62 @ 11dpo, 124 @ 12dpo, 321 @ 14dpo 720 @ 16dpo 13,805 @ 23 dpo 
    First ultrasound at 6w3d, hb 122 bpm. 
    Second ultrasound at 7w3d hb 143 bpm 
    Third ultrasound at 10w1d hb 167-170 bpm 
    Forth ultrasound 12w1d hb 167 bpm 
    Graduated rpl program, moving on to regular ob! 
    It's a boy! 

Little man was born August 1st 2013, 7lbs 8oz and 20.5 inches long

• BlueJewelMBlueJewelM member
    edited August 2013
    On the covers topic, my friend had a bebe au lait one with this neat half moon shape (at the top) to it to easily see her daughter while nursing. I had never seen that!

If I decide to ditch my trusty a + a blanket I think I may get one of those this time around.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• V&G101808V&G101808 member
    edited August 2013

I'm not gonna go hide in a corner, but I will cover up. 

Amen

Edit: I work for a large corporation which has several mothers room available.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• It depends on the circumstance. I definitely don't go hide in the bathroom or anything like that. If I'm at a family party or something along those lines, I have no problem nursing without a cover. Even at the mall I feel pretty comfortable. I did just take DS2 to a wedding and I used a cover there. I think it really depends on your comfrot level. When i first started breastfeeding with DS1 i covered up all the time. i wasnt very comfident and it wasnt always easy for us to get a good latch etc, so i felt like i would be exposed more. This time around it's like second nature and I'm not so self conscious. As far as pumping goes, I am an RN and work nights, so there are plenty of offices etc that are available for pumping. I'm not sure if it varies state to state, but in MA employers must offer breastfeeding moms a private room that is NOT a bathroom with a door that locks for pumping. The hospital that I work at has a lactation lounge, but it's a trek from the floor that I work on and I don't usually have that much time, so my manager just lets me use one of the empty offices on my floor.

• @BlueJewelM
    To answer your question, I brought it up because I've seen a lot of articles where women were asked to excuse themselves from public, with the only place to go to do so being a bathroom.
  • @BlueJewelM
    To answer your question, I brought it up because I've seen a lot of articles where women were asked to excuse themselves from public, with the only place to go to do so being a bathroom.

Gotcha!

Oh my! That's terrible! I have never heard of that happening. Some people need to get a clue!

Americans as a whole are weird when it comes to nursing. I wonder how we got that way.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• I plan to nurse wherever but to cover up if possible. Not for others comfort but for my own.

As for pumping at work...I have talked to some past moms who were able to find offices but now most are filled. We have a room three buildings over but since I live across the street my apartment is closer I am hoping to pump at home (or just nurse) if they can't find me a place.
  • I will nurse in public if I have to but I will cover up. If I can find a quiet place to be alone I will opt for that first.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Right now, I don't see myself being comfortable with breastfeeding in public, even with a cover. In fact, I took the nursing cover off of our registry, because I felt like I'd be so uncomfortable BFing in public in the first place that I would never use it. I'll go out of my way to avoid it and to find a private place. Like others have said, if other moms want to do it, I don't have a problem with that, but it's just not for me. 
  • @BlueJewelM

Gotcha!

Oh my! That's terrible! I have never heard of that happening. Some people need to get a clue!

Americans as a whole are weird when it comes to nursing. I wonder how we got that way.
    When you consider there is a victoria secret or swim wear store in every mall it makes me curious how that is less offensive then me nursing.

Nursing isnt immodest and it isnt for shits and giggles
  • @BlueJewelM
    Gotcha! Oh my! That's terrible! I have never heard of that happening. Some people need to get a clue! Americans as a whole are weird when it comes to nursing. I wonder how we got that way.
    I often wonder this myself- shoo a nursing mother into a bathroom stall then expose their children to all the boobies and sex they can get on HBO or Showtime.
    I'd say its partially due to the sexualization of breasts in the media and partially due to doctors pushing formula as better for the baby 40-50 years ago- making boobies "bad" or something.

Also as far as covering up goes, I can use my nursing cover OR- I made one of those boobie beanies for the baby :)- so if someone really wants to push me about breastfeeding in public I'll whip it out and (hopefully) scare them off. Depends on my level of sleep, I suppose :)

• LAMuehlen said:

@BlueJewelM

Gotcha!

When you consider there is a victoria secret or swim wear store in every mall it makes me curious how that is less offensive then me nursing.

Nursing isnt immodest and it isnt for shits and giggles
    Agreed! Plus, I saw a 17 year old wearing something a hell of a lot more revealing at the mall than a mom nursing reveals.

I think the younger generation of moms is making it more "normal". Like a pp said, my mother had me over 30 years ago and FF because her mother had her convinced FF was better. We have a lot of years of silly thinking to undo. Not an easy task!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• I've got a cover that my neighbor gave me. I figure ill feed wherever. Baby has to eat :)
  • @BlueJewelM

I bought a bebe au lait with my first and still love it! Definitely worth the investment!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• I think that for me, I will try to find somewhere private and use some sort of cover. Kuddos to you ladies who can just do it wherever. I imagine it is a lot like that Huggies commercial "FTM vs STM" . I just want to avoid those inevitable creepers or people with opinions.

image imageimage 

September Siggy Challenge : Favorite Childhood Movies ( Sorry I have two)

• I always maintain some modesty but location only matters that it is comfortable and clean for me and baby. The longer you breastfeed the more you don't care what others think. I think there are regional opinions and luckily I live in a area that is very natural minded where it is widely accepted and encouraged in public.

With pumping at work, I planned to use a room that wasn't in use...had a lock on it and pre scheduled breaks into my schedule. This time, I will split my 1hour lunch into 2 30 min breaks for pumping and use the hands free so I can work and have lunch at the same time.
  • I dont have an issue with moms feeding their babies however/wherever they need to feed them. i personally am pretty modest and use a covet. Because I have to use a nipple shield, it makes it really awkward to NIP descretly. Aside from the pedi office, I've only had to NIP once and I ended up going to the restroom to latch baby on with the shield and I came back out once I was covered. Hopefully I get more comfortable juggling the shield and baby or hopefully I can wean her off of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"