Working Moms
Options

teachers WWYD?

I am getting ready to start my 8th year in a district I never wanted to be in.  It's an urban school and the kids are really difficult.  This year we're trying a new behavior management program where the kids are rewarded for good behavior with tickets and prizes.  I'm excited to try it, but slightly skeptical since the principal has made a comment that we're only doing it because the state is making us, so I'm not too sure how much support there will be.  I'm also familiar with the curriculum and routine which makes life alot easier.  The major plus is that my school gets our at 2:25, so when my kids are in school in a few years I'll be able to pick them up.  I love that I get to be so involved and I'm really excited about this.

For the past 8 years I've been looking to move to a suburban school.  I was interviewed and gave a demo lesson in a nice district.  The interview went great, the principal and teachers were really nice, but I was a little turned off that the principal showed up a few minutes late to the demo and left right after w/out talking to me.  I never got a call, but a few weeks later got a form letter that I did not get the job.  Today I get a voicemail that a new position has opened he'd like to talk to me about.  I really enjoyed the lesson that I did at the school, the kids were involved, motivated and seemed to be a pleasure to work with.  I'm nervous about the work load though.  It will be a new curriculum and I'm sure they expect alot from their teachers.  My biggest fear is giving up my tenure and losing the opportunity to pick my kids up from school, this school gets out at 3 and doesn't start much later than my current school.

The biggest obstacle I'm dealing with I think is having to know I'm their 2nd choice, getting a real bad feel for the principal after the lesson, and losing the chance to pick my kids up from school while teaching kids and with teachers I got the feeling I'd really enjoy.  Which job would you choose? 

Re: teachers WWYD?

• Options
    I think it would just depend. I never have had tenure (I was let go due to budget cuts and last year was just bad as they let me go for my maternity sub!) Anyway, so I've never experienced that and that would be nice to know I'm secure in my job. However, I understand where you're coming from as that was my first job. We did a system called PBIS and it worked wonderfully for our students! Everyone has to be on board though and follow through with the system to really work. How is your rapport with the other staff members and the students? I think having a good relationship with the principal is really important. How difficult is it to work with these students? If it's really frustrating and you don't feel successful there, then it could eventually wear you down and not leave you with much energy for your kids anyway when you get off work. Usually the pay is better in a suburban school, you have more resources, and the students are usually better, but if the staff and or the principal are not a good fit, then you're not going to be happy. I would rather work in a school where I had the support of the staff and principal and have a good working relationship than working in a supposedly better school.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    jbatchjbatch member
    I personally would probably take the new job.

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How old are your kids now?  What time does the school they will be going to let out and what time do you think you will be able to get there from this new school?  I don't think I would let a half hour difference deter me from taking a job I really wanted.  I think I would at least go meet w/ him and see if you can get a better feeling for him and the job before making a decision.

• Options
    Just speaking to the not being first issue:
    I was not the first, second or third pick when my office had a new hiring class. I found out later that the first two had been volunteering for the past year and the third candidate interviewed the year before, was selected for a non benefits position so turned it down. I ended up getting the job about three weeks later when there was an appointment to the bench. So while i could have felt I was fourth best, I was the top outside candidate, which I would have never known if I didn't take the job.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member

I'm not a teacher, but I'll chime in.  The principal you interviewed with might have had a lot on his schedule that day, hence the late entry and early departure.  I would go with the job that you would be the happiest with since you're going to be there most of the day, which sounds like the suburban school.  You can always do after school care for your kids.

And don't get caught up on being "second pick", just go in there and do a "bang up" job and enjoy it.  Congratulations on the call back!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    What about other factors? Salary, benefits, commute? 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Hmmm for me it would depend more on salary, benefits, commute, etc.  We started PBIS last year at my school and we incorporated tickets last year; the change in the students was incredible.  They are so motivated to demonstrate good behavior.  But as far as taking the new job, see my first sentence.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was in this exact position right after getting my BFP last summer. I did NOT want to be in that difficult school while pregnant and I had been trying to get a job in a suburban school for two years. I got my current job last August, knowing I was pregnant. Anyhow, while it was a lot of work writing all new lessons and creating new materials, and while there were different types of struggles in my new school, I feel supported as a teacher in a way I never have before and I do not feel stressed and upset the way I did before. One's job should not be nearly as stressful as my previous teaching position was. I am so thankful for my new position! I didn't care that my new job is a longer commute, I would have taken anything to get out of the situation I was in. I say go for it! You won't regret it, IMO  :-bd
  • Options
    I was in a very similar position. I was the 2nd choice for a position. I went on to spend 7 wonderful years in that district and only left because we moved to a new state.
  • Options
    Oh no! I started at a new school last year that was all about rewards, rewards, rewards. I was completely against the constant rewarding for behavior that is expected. I gave rewards out the way they should be given. By our December meeting,
    it was brought up by our prep teachers that my class was the best behaved. My superiors asked me what I was doing that could be different. I was so worried that I would get reprimanded, but I told them the truth: My students are rewarded when necessary, and not for things that are expected of them. Needless to say, all of the rewards stopped.

You need to go with your heart. I would give anything to go back to the school I started in, but it would be impossible for us financially.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"