Homeschooling

DD is excited and so am I

bsims726bsims726 member
edited August 2013 in Homeschooling

So I had been holding back on telling my 4 yr old about our homeschool plans to avoid the inevitable barrage of questions (i.e. is it homeschool day yet? when are we gonna start homeschool? why can't we start homeschool today?). I love my DD but I wasn't gonna be able to take weeks of that lol. Yesterday was reveal day and I did so with a story. Backstory: My plan was to find a nice book on homeschooling, read it to her, and discuss everything. Instead I ended up in a frustrated hunt because my library had 0 good or even updated books with homeschooled characters. The very few books (about 4 if I recall) were upsetting because 2 basically portrayed homeschoolers as odd, hippy-like people and the other 2 were about how difficult or awkward it can be for a homeschooler to be transitioned into a public school building. I did search into buying a book instead but discovered there weren’t many to choose from either and I didn’t really want to tap into our limited school budget for that anyways. So my husband blurted out “why don’t you write your own story then?” After a min of laughing, I actually gave it some thought and soon found myself with paper and pencil, creating my own children’s story about homeschooling. I even did the illustrations, I’m no Picasso or even Bob Ross (the afro haired guy who used to paint “happy lil trees and bushes” on PBS) but it was clear enough for her to recognize what was drawn lol. To my surprise, it was a hit and she requested that I read it over and over (did it about 3 times). After all the reading, I pulled out the uniform that she will be wearing and she jumped for joy, begging to try it on so she could look like the character in the book. She modeled for her dad and admired herself in the mirror before telling me “I love my uniform, I love homeschool, mommy.” Her excitement has got me re-pumped. I mean, I was initially excited months back but all this planning has honestly got me a lil drained but now that she knows and is hyped about it, I am ready and re-energized. Tuesday is the 1st day and we can’t wait! Anybody got stories about how they discussed or revealed homeschooling to their LOs? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DD is excited and so am I

• Have you considered publishing the book?  A friend of mine and his wife wrote a book for their daughter about the new baby coming when his wife was pregnant with their son.  They have published it an made it available for purchase. 
  • I liked that you wrote your own story instead of relying on the library books that don't sound too positive. 

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Loading the player...
  • mysticl said:
    Have you considered publishing the book?  A friend of mine and his wife wrote a book for their daughter about the new baby coming when his wife was pregnant with their son.  They have published it an made it available for purchase. 
    My husband suggested it but I'm not too sure. I'll consider it though, maybe somebody out there (besides my DD) will like it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I liked that you wrote your own story instead of relying on the library books that don't sound too positive. 

Thank you! Yeah, the library books really disappointed me but I am glad that my daughter was able to still understand homeschooling and get excited about it through my words and pictures.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That sounds neat! I think Amazon does self publishing. I have to ask though, a uniform? :)

• That sounds neat! I think Amazon does self publishing. I have to ask though, a uniform? :)
    Thank you and thanks about the Amazon tip, I have no idea where to even turn first in the publishing world. Well, the uniform became a thought after my DD frequently saw her cousin, who goes to public school, wearing hers a few months back. DD associates uniforms with school, especially since most to all the schools in my area wear them. Our uniform is nothing extravagant, just a red polo shirt and khaki skort (similar to the public school), plus I think the uniform will help establish some indepence when getting dressed and help her distinguish "school time" from regular "home time".

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That sounds very special, glad you guys are having fun with it!

I know about the Amazon thing, b/c we have a friend who published a book on there, top 10 Jewish lists, or something like that. And also I have an acquaintance who is 1/2 of DosBadDads, who I believe publishes through there ("FYI Great Grandma is Racist" is their first ebook) 

• bsims726 said:
    That sounds neat! I think Amazon does self publishing. I have to ask though, a uniform? :)
    Thank you and thanks about the Amazon tip, I have no idea where to even turn first in the publishing world. Well, the uniform became a thought after my DD frequently saw her cousin, who goes to public school, wearing hers a few months back. DD associates uniforms with school, especially since most to all the schools in my area wear them. Our uniform is nothing extravagant, just a red polo shirt and khaki skort (similar to the public school), plus I think the uniform will help establish some indepence when getting dressed and help her distinguish "school time" from regular "home time".
    That's a really good idea. 

We held off sometime before telling dd1 about hsing. It took her a while to adjust to the fact. She was disappointed that she doesn't get to ride the bus. She got over it though and now proudly tells everyone that she is hs. :)

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"