September 2013 Moms
Options

How long is your maternity leave?

OpheliaChemOpheliaChem member
edited August 2013 in September 2013 Moms
How long do you plan to take off? If it depends on when LO is born, pick the option based on your EDD/RCS/etc.

How long is your maternity leave? 245 votes

Call me Sarah Palin - I'll be back to work the next day.
0% 2 votes
0-5 weeks
2% 7 votes
6-10 weeks
29% 72 votes
11-15 weeks
31% 76 votes
16-20 weeks
8% 20 votes
20+ weeks
7% 19 votes
I'm becoming a SAHM.
6% 16 votes
I'm already a SAHM.
6% 17 votes
I tell people I'm returning to work but secretly, I plan to become a SAHM.
2% 7 votes
SS
3% 9 votes

Re: How long is your maternity leave?

• Options
    I'm only taking 2-3 weeks, but LO will be coming to work with me after that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One year is standard in Canada. :)  
    Lucky girl! I think I remember hearing that before on this BMB. Must be nice! Do you get paid for a year?!

• Options
    I'll have full leave for 6 weeks and be returning for 2 days a week for another 6 weeks so I didn't include the second 6 weeks as maternity leave since I won't fully be away from work!

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    That is amazingly awesome. I would give anything for a year!!

BFP #1 12/23/12 EDD 9/3/13 DD #1 8/26/13

BFP #2  2/25/16  EDD 11/5/16 MMC 4/15/16

BFP #3  8/31/16  EDD  5/12/17 It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest

Anniversary
  • Options
    This is me too - so I SSd.  :) 
  • Options
    Yep! I start my one year mat leave this coming Monday....although I have been off work on sick leave for the past 9 weeks. But yes, Canadian maternity leaves are amazing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have about 8 weeks left of FMLA, but only two weeks will paid because that's all the vacation time I have. I would LOVE to be a SAHM after, but I'm not sure we can swing it yet. Fingers crossed!!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    auroraloo said:
    I think whoever voted that they are lying to their boss about coming back to work is being douchey.
    I had a friend that did this at my old job.  She needed the job to get as much money as she could before the birth and didn't want our unethical jerk of a manager to either treat her poorly or find a way to fire her beforehand.

I don't know what the background behind that voter is but maybe it's something similar to this..

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    auroraloo said:
    I think whoever voted that they are lying to their boss about coming back to work is being douchey.
    I was thinking more along the lines of "I want to SAH but I'm not sure I can so I will wait and see what happens". Or more about telling DH you plan to go back but in reality you really hope to stay home. I wasn't thinking about screwing your boss over, but let's be honest, lots of people do it - both planned and unplanned. We hired a teacher a few years ago and she got pg that year, due in July. Her plan was to return in November. Then she moved it to January. Then she took the rest of the year off. Then she just quit and never returned.

• Options
    I have two months because of summer break (I'm a teacher) and a year off after that for my mat leave! Proud to be a Canadian!
  • Options
    I can take up to 12 weeks, but only 6 of that are fully paid (8 if I have a C-section). I'm taking 9 weeks off...6 weeks short term disability, 1 week parental leave (fully paid) and 2 weeks of vacation that I've saved up.

imageimageimage

• Options
    I "get" nothing. We've saved (I make more than DH, so it's a struggle) and I'll be taking 12 weeks, all unpaid. I do still have a week of vacation time, which I'll probably use if I need time before baby comes.
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm taking 17 weeks of paid time off under FMLA and CFRA, the pay for which is coming out of disability (6 weeks) and accumulated sick leave/vacation.  At that point, my contract ends and I'll be home with baby while looking for a new job for however long it takes me to find one.  My current position just doesn't work with a kid - the commute's too long and the pay's too low to make it worth putting LO in daycare.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    awright1983awright1983 member
    edited August 2013
    Lucky girl! I think I remember hearing that before on this BMB. Must be nice! Do you get paid for a year?!
    @OpheliaChem - We get paid a portion of our salary (60% I believe) up to the weekly cap amount and its administered through the governments employment insurance program.  I believe it max's out at about 60% of $50,000 but it is also pretty confusing to try to figure out.  So I am going with, I will get what I get.  lol.  I also voted ss, since I'm Canadian. 
  • Options

I am getting 29 weeks through my work

• Options
    I get 12 weeks. 3 weeks will be paid using my sick time/vacation/personal time. Then I will get 4 weeks if a regular birth or 6 weeks for a c-section of disability pay of 60% and then 5 weeks unpaid. This is the reason that DH is working a 2nd job this summer since he is a teacher to save money. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I am taking 12 weeks. 4 wks 100% pay, 1 wk vacation time and 1 wk 50% pay. The other 6wks fall under FMLA and are unpaid.

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image

• Options
    @OpheliaChem - We get paid a portion of our salary (60% I believe) up to the weekly cap amount and its administered through the governments employment insurance program.  I believe it max's out at about 60% of $50,000 but it is also pretty confusing to try to figure out.  So I am going with, I will get what I get.  lol.  I also voted ss, since I'm Canadian. 
    Depending on what you made in the last 600 hours of employment, if you max out to the limit, you end up at earning around $805/two weeks.  So, it's not exactly what I was earning before I went off, but it's better than a kick in the ass.  :) 
  • Options
    6-8 weeks, we'll see how it goes. I'm using all saved or borrowed PTO time to cover it- no STD at my small company.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have 6 weeks of sick/personal days saved and the rest will be unpaid. If I go around my due date I should be off about 12-14 weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am taking 6 weeks, but then am going part time for the next 12 to use up my FMLA before returning to work full time. This actually works really well around DH's university teaching schedule so I am feeling very fortunate that my boss was cool with the idea.
    married 6.17.06
    daughter born 9.27.13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    auroraloo said:

There is a girl I work with that has targeted me since I became pregnant, borderline harassment, and has been making things up about me. She actually spread a rumor that I was definitely not coming back after the baby and that I was being shady and lying to everyone. I ended up having to discuss it with my boss because I didn't want it getting back to her, I really need and want this job!

I felt gross that people even thought this lie could be true, I wouldn't be a dick like that. Even if I was considering not coming back I would discuss it with my boss prior to leaving.

• Options
    I'm "scheduled" to take 12 weeks off but I am not planning on returning. And no it is NOT about the money. My employer does not pay for maternity leave, it's just whatever vacation time we have saved up so I will use up my 3 weeks of vacation time and then take the rest unpaid. The only reason I haven't told my employer is because I need the insurance coverage. And I already know that I will need to pay back the premium once I offically let them know that I will not be returning but it's cheaper that way than to do the cobra plan. That way the insurance will get me through December so I can then switch insurance plans during open enrollment. I'm trying to go about this in the least douchey way possible but it is what's best for my family's situation.
  • Options
    bexsdbexsd member
    edited August 2013
    I voted special snowflake. I was planning to come back after 12-14 weeks (the beginning of 2014, however many weeks after birth that ends up being), but then was informed they aren't continuing my contract.

So now it's really up in the air. I am applying for some things, so we'll see.
  • Options
    Right around 6 weeks. I'm saving my 2 weeks vacation from this current year and rolling it into my 2 weeks for 2014 that I earn on 9/6, giving me 4 weeks paid. After that, I will work a modified schedule of about 2 days/week for the other 2 weeks.  Then back to my regular PT schedule.

I would love to be able to be a SAHM, and we were working towards that, but it's still not quite feasible yet.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I get 45 days, so 9 weeks. I'm a teacher so am only able to use my sick days

• Options
    Jilly82 said:

Same here. I can only use 30 days since a vag birth is 6 weeks off w drs note. That's awesome you get 45 days though!!

• Options

I get nothing as I am already a SAHM, and DS1 is giving me no time off LOL.

I am in Canada so last time I got the year off, and I was pretty sure before I left that I wasn't coming back, that said, I told no-one this and gave a weeks notice that I wasn't coming back, and I have no guilt what so ever. As far as I'm concerned it is completely my choice when to tell them I am coming back or not, and I may have decided I couldn't afford or didn't like being a SAHM and changed my mind. About a month before I was due back I started discussions on ways to go part time and my boss was a complete douche about it and took forever to get back to me. After handing in my notice I met up with work colleagues who told me that the lady who was covering me had been made full-time two months before I was due back, so god knows what I would have come back to if I had gone back..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• Options
    Same here. I can only use 30 days since a vag birth is 6 weeks off w drs note. That's awesome you get 45 days though!!

I can take as many days as sick days/personal days I have...after that its unpaid leave. I've been teaching for 9 years so luckily I have a lot saved up! Ugh you only get 6 weeks??

• Options
    Jilly82 said:

Jilly82 said:

I can take as many days as sick days/personal days I have...after that its unpaid leave. I've been teaching for 9 years so luckily I have a lot saved up! Ugh you only get 6 weeks??

Yep. I have more than that but without a drs note i can't take more than 6 weeks worth. It's stupid!

• Options

Jilly82 said:

Jilly82 said:

Yep. I have more than that but without a drs note i can't take more than 6 weeks worth. It's stupid!

I should add that I'm taking off longer than 6 weeks but its unpaid just like you. Ah the perks of being a teacher :-/

• Options

That's ridiculous. I'm sorry! I can take as many days as sick days/personal days I have...after that its unpaid leave. I've been teaching for 9 years so luckily I have a lot saved up! Ugh you only get 6 weeks??
    I should add that I'm taking off longer than 6 weeks but its unpaid just like you. Ah the perks of being a teacher :-/

• Options
    I started leave last Friday (7/26) and won't go back until January 6th, 2014. I went out early and am going back late.
  • Options

Depending on what you made in the last 600 hours of employment, if you max out to the limit, you end up at earning around $805/two weeks.  So, it's not exactly what I was earning before I went off, but it's better than a kick in the ass.  :) 

The government insurance programs are provincially regulated, so different across Canada but all give about a year. I'm in Quebec where they give 70% of your gross earnings for the first 25 weeks then 55% of gross for the next 25 weeks. We actually get 50 weeks, but I'm taking 2 as vacation, so a year total. Since its of our gross income the actual take home pay is actually more than what we take home currently at the beginning (if you start at a salary near the maximum of $68k) but you need to put aside funds for tax season each month or you will get a pretty little bill from the govt in April next year and the year after. Then when it drops to 55% it works out to a couple hundred less per month, but no biggy overall, considering the benefits!
  • Options
    I am between two options. I'll be off either 10 or 11 weeks depending on when I give birth.
  • Options
    SS - I don't really get maternity leave in my job.  With DS, I took 3 weeks off and then was back part-time (since I was the only employee before that, I changed roles) and took the baby with me.  This time, I plan to take a week or two off except for coworker questions, then work from home for another 2-3 weeks.  I wish I could do more, but no one really has time to pick up my slack, and some of the things I do, no one wants to/is able to figure out how to do.

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Technically I only get 6 weeks (8 if I end up needing a c-section), but I'll be working from home for 6 weeks after that so I'll be home with him for 12 weeks total.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

The max EI right now in ontario works out to $501/week... I'm really hoping I get the max. I make more than H so it will be a big pay cut for us.

Melissa (30) & Chris (30)
    BFP Oct 16, 2012 M/C Nov 10, 2012
    BFP Dec 31, 2012 EDD Sept 12, 2013

Brody was born on September 23, 2013 at 6.33am weighing 8lb 14oz.  
    Hes our angel... :)

• Options
    I work for a super fantastic company that allows us to take up to 4 weeks off, paid, before EDD. Then, we can take 16 weeks, fully paid, after baby. I'll be taking 2.5 weeks before and 16 weeks after. It's a really great benefit and am so thrilled to be able to take advantage of this.

When we got pregnant, the leave time was only 6-8weeks post delivery, our new CEO kindly changed the policy back in April!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"