International Bumpies

Anyone quit their job to move abroad?

Trying to figure out how much of a change this will be.  On one hand I am looking forward to having more time with the kids and being able to focus on volunteering at their school but on the other hand, going from juggling a F/T position, motherhood and home ownership I worry about boredom.  I am planning on working on my masters while abroad.  Any tips?  I'd love to hear from folks who have made this transition so I can prepare myself accordingly.  Thanks ladies!

Re: Anyone quit their job to move abroad?

• I had planned to work when we moved abroad for DH's job. But then I ended up with a visa that didn't easily allow work (that was just over 2 years ago). The transition was definitely challenging at first. (I had worked my way up the ladder and was working 10-14 hour days before moving to Europe.)

BUT two years in, I never find myself bored. In fact, I often wonder if I'll ever be keen to get back to such an intense daily grind - especially with kids added to the mix.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

• Thanks Adunkin.  That is what I anticipate happening as well.  I am glad to have two active kids to keep me busy too as I hope that will lessen the non-working shift
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello :)

I was a secondary history teacher prior to moving abroad for DH's job. Although I miss teaching at times, I love being able to stay at home with DD and explore our new home. (We live in the UK). I became involved with an American/Canadian expat community which has helped me out tremendously. Through the community, I am involved in volunteer work. The community also has a great moms & tots group which has helped not only me, but DD as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Hello!
    I quit my job to move into Eastern Europe and I'd say you have your hands full with studying and a kids already, however boredom can creep in. I've heard lots of women that I've met here getting into crafty things like sowing, knitting, (I'm in a country thats cold 6-8 months out of the year) or whatever fits your lifestyle. I would say take it easy, if possible, your first year. Learn the culture with your family, get comfortable with your new lifestyle and then you'll be better able to asses what you can handle or have time for. 
  • Well I didn't quit, so much as I was let go when I left to have my baby. Small company, not covered for FMLA. And that coincided with DH getting his job offer abroad. So we followed him out when DS was 4 months old. It's almost a year later and I'm hoping to start transitioning DS to daycare so that I can start to carve out time for myself. Hopefully finding a job will be in the mix. If not, where we live I'm sure I will find something interesting to occupy my time.

I have a SAHD friend here who is not able to work here (he's an electrician, and the standards are all different here). They put their LO in daycare 2 days a week both for socialization and so that the dad gets some time for himself. It's all about finding balance.
  • I quit my job, we sold our house, and I moved to Germany pregnant. I have yet to be bored and I've been here over 3 years. But, my kids aren't in school yet. I would think learning the language and customs can be time consuming when you first get there, if that's applicable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"