Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

how long do children use strollers?

fusionbridefusionbride member
edited July 2013 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Lurking from a younger board and hoping you can help:  Until what age/size do children generally use strollers?  We are trying to decide whether to get a stroller that can convert into a double stroller, or just get a single stroller now.

Our first child is almost 8 months, and we'll try for #2 once she hits a year. But of course no idea how long until (or if) we'll get that 2nd one, so I'm interested to know how long/what size child 1 will likely need a stroller so we can see what our odds are of needing a double stroller...

Thanks!

Re: how long do children use strollers?

• ebp913ebp913 member
    I think it depends on your lifestyle and your child.  I walk and jog for exercise and I need my kids in a stroller for that.  There are times also, when I want to keep moving and I need my daughter to be contained.  I can imagine that for long trips and all day outings, I will use a stroller until my oldest is 4 or so.  I don't expect her to walk all day at an amusement park for example.  

If I am running an errand, I let my oldest walk sometimes but only when I have extra time.  It's not that she can't walk but it's often that I either need to walk quickly, don't have time to let her dilly dally, or it's somewhere where I want her contained.  I realize I sound kinda like I don't have time for my DD but that isn't the case at all... it's just that I work FT and when we run errands I want to move!  If I want her to run around, we go to the children's museum or the park.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • ebp913 said:

I think it depends on your lifestyle and your child.  I walk and jog for exercise and I need my kids in a stroller for that.  There are times also, when I want to keep moving and I need my daughter to be contained.  I can imagine that for long trips and all day outings, I will use a stroller until my oldest is 4 or so.  I don't expect her to walk all day at an amusement park for example.  

If I am running an errand, I let my oldest walk sometimes but only when I have extra time.  It's not that she can't walk but it's often that I either need to walk quickly, don't have time to let her dilly dally, or it's somewhere where I want her contained.  I realize I sound kinda like I don't have time for my DD but that isn't the case at all... it's just that I work FT and when we run errands I want to move!  If I want her to run around, we go to the children's museum or the park.  
    I agree with this.

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • DS was 2.5 when DD was born and at that point no longer needed to be in the stroller for things like walks around the neighborhood, going to the park, trips to the mall/other stores. We had an UppaBaby Vista and bought a rumble seat for it so that he can ride along when we're somewhere that requires a lot of walking (the zoo for example). That way we can attach it when needed and he hops in and out based on how tired he is. Now that he's almost 4 he basically never uses it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• at around 18 months, when I found out I was pg w/ #2  DD refused to get in the stroller.  I enjoy running with the stroller so it was important to keep her in it.  We got her a Leap Pad and special snacks which worked great.  Now she loves being in the stroller with her brother.  I use my big Bob for running and other outings often, and I got a Joovy Ultra Light for quick outings.  DD is getting better now that she's 3, but up until then it was really important to keep both kids contained if I wanted to get anything done when running errands.  It I could go back, I think it would have been a great idea to get one of the strollers that convert to two.
  • I agree it depends a lot on your lifestyle.  We've moved around a bit so our stroller usage has changed, but right now we live in a city where it's generally easier to get around on foot or by public transportation rather than by car (we have a car, which I mostly use for grocery trips).  I'm a SAHM.  I run with DS when DD is in school and walk sometimes several miles a day to run errands and such, so there's no efficient way to do the things I want to do without having him in a stroller, and I expect that to last until he starts preschool and I can do stuff without him, which probably won't be until he's nearly four.  DD started preschool at almost-3, and at that point my stroller usage drastically reduced (but I was driving her to school then).  We still used it sometimes for walks, though, basically until DS was born.  With four years' age difference, I never felt a double stroller was necessary, but with two kids under preschool age I would definitely have wanted one.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • We have a mover. We've had a couple days at big parks this summer, and he's only been in his stroller to nap for about an hour. It's pretty much a diaper bag carrier at this point. A little inconvenient at times, but I love his independence and energy. I DO still use it if I'm trying to run up and down the mall real quick for something, and I have a jogger (for jogging obvs).

Sounds like you could use a double umbrella (my sister has one with reclining seats for newborns-Maclaren I think?), or a stroller with one of those steps on the back so the toddler can stand. Those options are less bulky, which is nice when you have a toddler that may or may not even use the stroller.

Anniversary

• ebp913ebp913 member
    I agree that a convertible stroller is a great choice for a lot of parents with 2 young ones if you aren't sure that you need a true side by side double.  Or you can be like me and just get both.... and another single...  What can I say I love strollers.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"