February 2013 Moms
Options

NBR - FIL vent

So my inlaws try to come and visit the grandkids once every 6-8 weeks.  They were here this weekend and I need to vent about what happened.  Saturday, DH and I were heading out to run some errands.  FIL asks DH if he can turn on the baseball game (we don't really like TV on around the kids).  DH says yes, we thought he was just going to catch the score.  When we came back 2 hours later, FIL was still laying on the couch with his feet up watching the baseball game (not even a team he's that interested in) with the kids playing in the same room.  I was just about to politely ask him to turn off the TV when I notice a glass laying on its side and a big orange stain next to it.  I say "oh no, looks like there was a spill while we were out" and I ran out of the room to grab towels and carpet cleaner.  When I left, DH asked his dad to turn off the TV and then told him that he spilled orange juice on our carpet, FIL turns off the TV and then says "oh, DS1 must have knocked it over."  By now, I was on my hands and knees scrubbing, and DS1 comes up to me and says "Mommy, I didn't do it" to which I respond "I know you didn't hon, don't worry about it."  I continued to clean while FIL sat on the couch with his feet up.

Accidents happen, I totally get that.  But what I still cannot get over is that the man NEVER APOLOGIZED!  Not only did he not apologize or ask how he could help, he blamed my 5 year old!??!!!?  Completely. Flabbergasted.

Vent over

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

Re: NBR - FIL vent

• Options
    I'd be angry too!  Accidents happen and maybe he didn't notice the spill, but couldn't he at least help clean it up?!
  • Options
    Wow, that's pretty rude. I'd be upset too.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow. Is it usually your MIL who watches the kids when you're gone? Because how you described the situation doesn't really make it sound like your FIL was really watching the kids or would have noticed if an accident happened. Don't get me wrong, I don't watch my kids with an eagle eye every second (case in point: DD2 is napping right now and DD1 is at my feet playing with her Duplos while I bump), but it sounds like he spent the whole two hours laying on the couch letting the kids play unattended.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    Wow. Is it usually your MIL who watches the kids when you're gone? Because how you described the situation doesn't really make it sound like your FIL was really watching the kids or would have noticed if an accident happened. Don't get me wrong, I don't watch my kids with an eagle eye every second (case in point: DD2 is napping right now and DD1 is at my feet playing with her Duplos while I bump), but it sounds like he spent the whole two hours laying on the couch letting the kids play unattended.
    Yep. MIL was there watching the kiddos. Frankly I was surprised she didn't offer to help me either since DH was home to help with the kids...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"