Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Prenatal MD Appts?

Aside from the 1st visit and ultrasound, what are the "benchmark" MD visits that a father should be at?  Of course, all of them would be ideal, but which ones are the "don't miss" visits?  Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    Thanks!  Really appreciate the insight!
  • Options
    I've been to all the ultrasounds and one routine appointment when we met her doctor.  I asked her if she wanted me there for the glucose testing but she declined because it was a two hour appointment.  The glucose drink didn't bother her at all so she didn't need me to drive her home or anything.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was a temp employee at the time so the only appointment I went to was when the baby was due.  For our next one, the only ones that I would want to go to is the first one and the ultrasounds unless something happens then I would like to go to that one also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    For our first, I went to every appointment and I mean every one.  Most of them they just go in, measure her belly, ask how she's feeling and use the doppler to hear the heartbeat to make sure it is in a normal range and then just send her on her way.

Appointments you definitely do not want to miss are the first one, the "viability ultrasound" that typically occurs between weeks 8 to 12, then the anatomy scan around week 20, where you can get a better look at your baby and potentially find out boy or girl, and then maybe the last month so you can hear first hand how much progress she's making because they may very well look for dilation at that point and you can address any last minute questions.  The glucose test, if you think your wife wouldn't handle it well and may need assistance coming home.
  • Options

Lurker mom here, but I wanted to suggest being at the appointment after the 20 week ultrasound/anatomy scan. If there is a concern about your baby, they may not tell you at the ultrasound itself, but rather wait until the first appointment after it. (Some places are not allowed to tell you anything, and therefore leave it for your doctor to discuss with you. Those appointments may also be scheduled back-to-back, so this may be a moot point.)

Also, any appointment she seems nervous/worried about would be good, but you probably already figured that out. :) Other than that, the guys nailed all the important ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"