Pre-School and Daycare

Broken elbow

DD#1 broke her elbow and has 3 pins in.  This is day 4 since surgery.  She is still often in pain and on codeine.  But starting to need to be more active and definitely house nervy.  Yesterday she overdid it, I think.

The TV, computer and board games are becoming dull. Today the twins are off to a playdate for their preschool and I am planning a "spa day," meaning change of clothes, baby wipe bath, dry shampoo, nails painted.  But I could really use some creative input on surviving this. She still has difficulty with position changes.  She is tough and amazing, but how much idleness can  5 year old take?

Any tips on bathing, hair washing, sleep at this point?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Broken elbow

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    No tips or advice as I have never experienced a broken bone. I wanted to comment 'ouch' that sounds extremely painful and I'm hoping she'll recover quickly. I understand it's tough on momma too...hang in there!
  • Would she be up for an outing? Maybe lunch, a movie, or shopping for school supplies? Something short.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks all.  She is getting caught up on Power Rangers and Daddy did buy her a new computer game.   And today he got her a used ipad.  Typically they are strictly monitored but these days all time is screen time.  Sigh.  I think we will have to set up a picnic- great idea. 

No real outings til the pins are out.  My optimistic DH thought he might put her in the bike trailer tonight to get her out. Sigh.

• How old is she? Can you just go for a walk in the neighborhood? Do you have a wagon? Maybe take her out to eat just to get out? How long until the pins come out?
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • How old is she? Can you just go for a walk in the neighborhood? Do you have a wagon? Maybe take her out to eat just to get out? How long until the pins come out?
    She is 5.  I think the wagon is too bumpy, still.  I'm having  heck of a time keeping her little arm square In the sling, too, which is impacting her endurance.  She has the pins for 3 weeks.  Then an additional projected 8-10 weeks in a cast.  Tomorrow we'll try a bath and maybe having fresh clothes she'll be ready to try a little walk.  I wish I could break my own arm twice to give her her own back.
  • Thanks for the great ideas;  I love the idea of going to a movie- they've never done that! I will look for the press and seal.  I love the journal idea too.   And I will cross my fingers for the waterproof.  I was told she can't run or any sort of physical play for 3 months. She's already doing gymnastics in her sleep- we'll see how that goes. Thank you!  Hopefully it won't be long before we can work up to trips.  I want to try the library as soon as she has the stamina.
  • hocus said:
    Why can't she take a real bath? I broke my leg and showed regularly. I wrapped the cast in a towel and then I taped trash back to my leg for each shower which was irritating but manageable. I was in a cast for 4 weeks I think.

She has had one finally.  Just that early on the jostling was painful and the wrapping of the cast so scary that she just screamed in anticipation of pain.  Not being naughty or noncompliant- she was hurt and scared.  Up until yesterday I had about two hours from giving pain meds until she was wailing in pain again.  The peace was too treasured and rare to spend a whole block of it preparing for and giving a bath and then drying and dressing.  Things are harder for kids than us, sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"