Postpartum Depression

those who go to therapy/counselling

does it help you?

how did you go about it?

i'm afraid she won't understand what i'm trying to say...i'm also afraid to talk about it at all so i don't know if i'll be able to explain what i'm feeling  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: those who go to therapy/counselling

• Can't do you any harm. I have my second appointment Thursday. I'm also unsure of how I feel just yet. I think ill give it a few more shots.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • EMF70EMF70 member

I've been in therapy since before I got pregnant.  I looked for a doctor who specialized in women's issues.  I'm a first time mom and haven't had my baby yet but I am comforted by the fact that I am being monitored early on due to a history of depression and anxiety.  I've been on meds throughout my pregnancy because I'm at high risk for PPD/PPPA. 

IF you can, try and find someone who specializes in PPD/PPA.

Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • It helped me out a bit. I went once a week and in the very beginning it felt like it wasn't enough. It was kinda sad to think this way, but my therapist was really nice and receptive, and it felt like I had a friend to go see every week. (New to my area so I don't really know anyone.)

• My daughter is 2 but I have been in therapy since she was 6 months old.

Try to find a doctor who specializes in PPD, others just don't seem to understand it correctly. I think you should be able to find one by googling "post partum support international" they used to have a list on their webiste. 

• Depending on where you live, there might be some counselors who specialize in PPD. I know my aunt-in-law (who is only 7 years older than me) has a counselor who is specialized and it's great for her.

I live in too-small of a town to have a specialized one, but I just asked my OB who she'd recommend. I would ask your OB who he/she would recommend.

Good Luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been going for my depression/anxiety since i was 16. i had to bounce around from counselor to counselor for several years until i found one that clicked, so do NOT give up!  I promise you, it a/helps, b/feels good to get it out and c/they are trained to listen and not judge.  Although some may, but most i have had listen to what i have to say and ask questions to make me think deeper.  I am still planning on seeing mine after i give birth too.
  • I started going about two years ago. It was very helpful. Medication alone won't get rid of anxiety or depression. It will take it away most of the time, but there will always be times in your life where you'll have "breakthrough" depression or anxiety and you'll need to learn how to deal with it.

As far as what to say ... just go. It usually starts out very general. They get to know you, what brought you in, what your life is like, etc. They know how to ask the right questions and how to "draw you out" so to speak. Just think of it like having a discussion with someone really close to you. How would you talk to them about what you're going through?

A counselor/therapist is nice because they are a neutral third party, and someone trained to give you correct/helpful advice. Honestly, I think everyone should see a therapist! lol.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Definitely try to find someone that specializes in it. That made a huge difference for me. You can try going to Postpartum Support International and searching for support persons/groups. They may even be able to recommend someone in your area : https://www.postpartum.net    You can also try going to https://www.psychologytoday.com to search for a therapist. The therapists have bios listing what they specialize in. You can also email them from the website and ask questions.
  • I agree with finding someone who specializes in womens issues. I've been in therapy a lot in my life and haven't noticed much help but now have a new one that I'm excited about.
  • homebird said:
    I started going about two years ago. It was very helpful. Medication alone won't get rid of anxiety or depression. It will take it away most of the time, but there will always be times in your life where you'll have "breakthrough" depression or anxiety and you'll need to learn how to deal with it.

As far as what to say ... just go. It usually starts out very general. They get to know you, what brought you in, what your life is like, etc. They know how to ask the right questions and how to "draw you out" so to speak. Just think of it like having a discussion with someone really close to you. How would you talk to them about what you're going through?

A counselor/therapist is nice because they are a neutral third party, and someone trained to give you correct/helpful advice. Honestly, I think everyone should see a therapist! lol.
    I totally agree.  If you have a good counselor, even if they don't get what you are saying right away (which they most likely WILL understand what you are saying, they have heard just about everything), they will ask questions to clarify.

• I have been going to counselling for about a year now, started once a week, then every 2, now only once a month. Mine was for general depression though I did have PPD with my first child. I think it's helpful to an extent. It probably won't work miracles on you, but little by little I see things a little differently and it's nice to just get out with someone to be a little selfish and talk about what's going on with you and feel actually heard. There are also lots of destressing things they can teach you if you're willing to give it a try. 
    Mommy to 2 handsome boys, expecting a princess!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"