Special Needs

Early Signs of Autsim Video Link

Assembly_ReqdAssembly_Reqd member
edited July 2013 in Special Needs
Text from an Email Newsletter I receive:

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Centers for Disease Control, National Institutes of Health, autism advocacy groups and researchers have all drawn attention to the importance of the early detection of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) to make access to early intervention possible. The scientific literature indicates that the average age of ASD diagnosis is 4 years, despite the fact that about half of children with this neurodevelopmental disorder may be detected by age 14 months.

To improve recognition of the early signs of ASD among pediatricians, parents, and early intervention providers, autism researcher Dr. Rebecca Landa of Kennedy Krieger Institute has developed this free 9-minute video tutorial on ASD behavioral signs in one-year-olds. The tutorial consists of six video clips comparing toddlers who show no signs of ASD to toddlers who show early signs of ASD. Each video is presented with voice-over explaining how the specific behaviors exhibited by the child, as they occur on screen, are either indicative of ASD or typical child development. You can find out more and view the video:

https://www.kennedykrieger.org/patient-care/patient-care-centers/center-autism-and-related-disorders/outreach-training/early-signs-of-autism-video-tutorial

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

Re: Early Signs of Autsim Video Link

• This video and the corresponding narrative really makes me want to make a call to get an evaluation.

I am curious what the other ASD moms think of the video......
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• I found the contrast striking between the NT and ASD examples.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think I need to have DH watch it so he gets on board "Team Assembly" on this one.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Do you have concerns bases on the video?
  • Oof. That was hard to watch, but I ended up sharing it on my Facebook timeline. Dead on. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Assembly_ReqdAssembly_Reqd member
    edited July 2013
    My main concerns are lack of joint attention and interaction with others while playing with toys. I have never seen Nate look to me or anyone else while enjoying a toy.

Picking up a toy that is not working and looking for help from someone else I have never seen. His needs get met when he cries in frustration and I go over to him, ask him if he needs help, he will sign help and then I will fix whatever the issue is.

He will enjoy tickling, but that is as far as the interaction will go. If I stop he moves on. He doesn't try to extend the fun, tickle me back or even consider looking to me in anticipation of more tickling. (or any other fun or silly twosome activity)

It is all pretty subtle. My husband doesn't "get' my concerns. Then again, I used to call him "turtle boy" when we were dating because trying to get direct eye contact was rare. He sort of side eyes people sometimes. I don't think he notices Nate's eye contact behaviors because it is not something he needs from other people. Also, DH has had very little contact with the under 5 crowd, while I have 15 nieces and nephews.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Great video, thanks for posting! That was spot on my DS at 18 months. I wanted to send the video to a couple family members, but know they'll just remember DS differently and again tell me that DS doesn't/didn't act like that.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about this. My daughter at one was dead on for the kids in the video with asd. She would do the same thing with the phone and the bubbles down to the stim. With the penguin toy she would have mouthed it and ignored everyone in the room. At 24 months she developed social reciprocity and back and forth pretend play like the boy in the first video. I suppose its better to over diagnose than under diagnose though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That video was very depressing to me.
  • That video was very depressing to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"