Special Needs

Update transition to preschool

After researching online and looking at the rights pamphlet I was given, I have counted more than 60 calendar days that passed from my signing of the assessment plan to the end of the school year. We are in CA. So here are my questions:

The school year starts a few weeks before my DS turns 3. Should I just wait and hope the evals and IEP get done in this time or is this unrealistic?

Should I push for the evals to happen in the next week or so of summer school or will that start out a bad relationship with the district?

Are there any additional rules that apply to kids that aren't yet 3?

Help!!

Re: Update transition to preschool

• I'm not clear on exact timelines anymore because I work for a county unit and therefore only supplement the districts' evaluations and contribute to IEP goals. I do know that the IEP has to be in place by the child's 3rd birthday. You could always call and tell the district you would feel more comfortable knowing what the timeline looks like, as LO turns 3 shortly after the school year starts and you don't have a plan in place yet.
  • And document that call somehow, or email it so you have a written record of the question and response in case you need it later.
  • Loading the player...
  • A few weeks can be enough time for a district to fit in the evaluation & IEP; I've seen this done. However, that really depends on the school district. I would reach out to the case manager again and see if they can at least give you a date of the evaluation, and for that matter, the IEP. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to schedule them both so that you can have some piece of mind & so that the school knows when everything will be finalized.

good luck!

First BFP 5/29/13 : )

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I would call them on it and at least get a date set for the eval.  DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!  From the date, time, person you spoke to, and what was said on both sides.  When you do get a date set, ask for an email with the date and time in writing for confirmation.   

If you don't keep records like this and keep on them, they will try to let things slide until it just gets "forgotten".  (Oops, so sorry, but we don't have time now.)  umm, yeah, that happens. 

• I do not know anything about IEPs for Preschool.  I taught in a preschool for years but we never had IEPs for children that little, they were still being evaluated.  I would work closely with parents and doctors of any special needs child to make sure their needs were met, but there was never any official IEP until they get a little older.  So I would follow up with getting the IEP with whatever your state does.  But on a more personal level, I would contact your child's teacher before school starts.  The first week of school is crazy for a teacher, trying to remember the children and the parents, and each parent comes at you with something different.  So when there is something that it an actual concern it is better to talk to the teacher early, when it is not as chaotic.  I always liked it when parents would come in before school started and I was setting up the room.  Then the child can meet me and see the room and I can put a face to the name and you can express your concerns and ideas and tell that you are in the process of getting the IEP. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageStillharbor:

I would call them on it and at least get a date set for the eval.  DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!  From the date, time, person you spoke to, and what was said on both sides.  When you do get a date set, ask for an email with the date and time in writing for confirmation.   

If you don't keep records like this and keep on them, they will try to let things slide until it just gets "forgotten".  (Oops, so sorry, but we don't have time now.)  umm, yeah, that happens. 

Agree with all of this!

First BFP 5/29/13 : )

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks everyone for the advice. I got in touch with the manager but did not get very far. They did let me know they would be waiting until the start of the year to schedule everything and gave me the option of a couple time slots. They can't schedule anything for me now since they don't have the schedules up apparently. The lady also did say she would try to arrange it so the eval and visitation of potential programs were on the same day.
    I replied back to confirm everything would be in place by my sons 3rd birthday, so I at least have something in writing.
    So I haven't made any huge gains but I have a little more piece of mind knowing I have made contact and have the managers contact info. If they don't hold true to their word then I will take it from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"