Special Needs

Anyone dealing with a poop hoarder?

I have five year old twins dx with autism.

Both are pretty much potty trained, but they hate pooping.
One poops in two seconds to try to avoid the whole potty pushing deal, and the other one gets horrible anxiety from it and holds it in order to avoid the whole experience, which then makes it worse.

Technically, they are not constipated, they just push it back up. TMI sorry.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I know if he continues it will turn into constipation and possible blockage. I'm trying to avoid both.

TIA

Re: Anyone dealing with a poop hoarder?

• abs05abs05 member

Yes, my daughter is petrified of having a bowel movement.  She had one very painful one after being sick earlier this year, and ever since then it has been rough.

Miralax has been helping.  We have to give it every day though.  We stopped too soon before and the whole cycle started all over again.  I also may or may not offer bribes.  Everytime she poops she gets a chocolate chip.  It gets her excited about going atleast.

Potty training is going to be my worst nightmare.

Good luck!  Withholding is by far one of the most challenging and frustrating things we have dealt with.  I just don't get it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have no advice because we haven't found the solution yet, but I'm going to look up the clean kid manual.

In terms of potty training, I think the no pooping actually help.  Sad We could work on the peeing and I didn't have to worry about him having an accident with poop since he NEVER goes. Sad, but true.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagejaniemski:

My son was suffering terribly with this as a three and four year old. He had dirty underwear everyday multiple times because he needed to go, but wouldn't. It was an issue that he wanted control of, but I had to start a plan to help him. I used the Clean Kid Manual that I found online for encopresis. Everyday at the same time I sent him to the bathroom to try to poop. Then he left the bathroom and we tried again in 15 minutes (only in there for 3 minutes). Then he would try a third time and if he didn't go then we would use a pediatric suppository. It was made very clear that this was to help him go- never used as anything negative. Then he would go or we would try again.

I had to take control of this situation and he is cured now. He has been going to the bathroom without intervention for months. Our lives changed a lot . He is in a better mood, doesn't have accidents, or dirty underwear any more. Our rule is that he has to go everyday or we need to use the treatment plan again.

Is this book really worth $85?  

• imagejaniemski:
    My son was suffering terribly with this as a three and four year old. He had dirty underwear everyday multiple times because he needed to go, but wouldn't. It was an issue that he wanted control of, but I had to start a plan to help him. I used the Clean Kid Manual that I found online for encopresis. Everyday at the same time I sent him to the bathroom to try to poop. Then he left the bathroom and we tried again in 15 minutes only in there for 3 minutes. Then he would try a third time and if he didn't go then we would use a pediatric suppository. It was made very clear that this was to help him go never used as anything negative. Then he would go or we would try again.nbsp; I had to take control of this situation and he is cured now. He has been going to the bathroom without intervention for months. Our lives changed a lot . He is in a better mood, doesn't have accidents, or dirty underwear any more. Our rule is that he has to go everyday or we need to use the treatment plan again.nbsp;

Ugh, I'm afraid to say anything because I don't want to jinx us, but this is working.
    I decided up bring a stopwatch to the bathroom and I told him that once it said 4 we are done. He's been responding to this. His anxiety is much better knowing that there is an end in sight.
    I also told him that if he pushed the poop out and once we said bye bye he would get a lollipop. This is also working.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"