Pre-School and Daycare

Speech?

We've been working on my daughter's speech as she seems a little behind. But my question is about what she says, as opposed to how she says it. She's been talking about things that don't happen or don't make sense. 

Examples: Her brother pulled her hair and her reply was "Don't pull my hair, Mommy will fix it at church and then we'll go to the gymnastics show." (None of those things are going to happen today.) Or when she didn't want to go to the beach, "I don't want to go because I like pink." 

Any thoughts about if this is typical for a three-year-old, or if maybe it's connected  to her trouble with speech? 

Thanks for any insights. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Speech?

• Thanks for both responses.  I don't notice any other signs of ASD.

I have not had her speech evaluated yet, partly because compared to some other children she does not seem like she'd qualify and partly because I keep thinking she'll catch up eventually (apparently I did not speak in sentences until 3). I've been working on her "s" blends, "I" vs "me", etc.  I guess it's time to get her evaluated. It certainly wouldn't hurt. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageSmgrochowski:

Thanks for both responses.  I don't notice any other signs of ASD.

I have not had her speech evaluated yet, partly because compared to some other children she does not seem like she'd qualify and partly because I keep thinking she'll catch up eventually (apparently I did not speak in sentences until 3). I've been working on her "s" blends, "I" vs "me", etc.  I guess it's time to get her evaluated. It certainly wouldn't hurt. 

You could definitely get her evaluated, if for nothing else peace of mind and reference point.  However, s-blend errors are not out of the norm at that age.  Also, barring any other concerns/indicators, I would agree with pp about the lack of reference point - my son is 4, very bright, and makes these crazy connections and if you weren't with him, you would not understand why he is taking about xyz in response to abc.  Also, depending on the child/personality/speech level they can have so much to say that it comes out kind of jumbled like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"