Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Childfree Weddings: Am I being a jerk?

So my younger sister is getting married in a few weeks. I am the only attendant on her side and the day is going to consist of a morning wedding followed by a brunch reception, no children allowed, followed by an nighttime pub crawl. My husband and I are traveling in from out of town with our 19 month old and are having huge issues finding child care, as literally every family member who could watch our son will be participating in the wedding. It looks like we are going to have a cousin's friend, who we don't know, watch him during the morning and then have him stay with my best friend at night, when he has never spent the night anywhere without us, because we don't know what else to do. My husband and I would both get lots of grief if we left early.

I am so incredibly stressed and frustrated by the whole situation, that we have been put in such a bind and that my son who happens to be my sister's only nephew has been completely excluded from the whole day. At the same time, it would not be ok if I needed to leave early. I have not said much to my sister about this. Am I just being a jerk?

Re: Childfree Weddings: Am I being a jerk?

• I'd be annoyed too.  Not having nieces or nephews wouldn't fly at weddings with my family.  Maybe you should try talking to your sister.  Are you absolutely positive he's not invited?  It's just strange to me.  My parents would be pissed if one of their grandchildren didn't attend a family wedding.  
  • I totally agree that it's their choice, and actually wouldn't be too bothered by it if it wasn't combined with the travel and the expectation that we participate in 100 percent of all activities. Unfortunately the in laws are not an option as they are a bit older and not physically up to chasing an extremely active toddler for that long. And oddly enough, there are no friends that I know of with younger sisters who could lend a hand.

I haven't said anything to my sister about changing anything because I don't think it's any of my business; I have only said something once and it was just about being worried about what we were going to do.
  • Loading the player...
  • I simply would not go to the pub crawl.

As far as the wedding & reception, I think it's up to her. I know people who have had kids at their weddings and those who have not, and I really think it should just be up to the couple. I'm probably in the minority on that though. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagesunnyday016:

I simply would not go to the pub crawl.

As far as the wedding & reception, I think it's up to her. I know people who have had kids at their weddings and those who have not, and I really think it should just be up to the couple. I'm probably in the minority on that though. 

This, and they should understand after you explain and if they don't.. to darn bad!! It is so hard to travel out of town on a toddler esp to go to sleep somewhere strange if they are not used to it. Try your best, and f*ck the rest. If you are not comfortable leaving your LO with a stranger at night, then don't. Honestly my wedding was kid free and out of town, a lot of people had to travel with their kids.... I had a kids room for with sitters at the wedding/reception, and I arranged with a nanny agency in the area a rate (for them to pay)  if someone wanted to hire someone for additional events that weekend. I would be annoyed if I had to go out of town and be on my own for sitters and be expected to be at EVERYTHING..... I would skip the pub crawl, I don't understand why they would do that anyways after a reception, go on your honeymoon people! HA

• I appreciate everyone's feedback. Sometimes it is hard when you are caught up in the stress and the melodrama to tell if you are being unreasonable. I really am uncomfortable leaving him with a teenager who I don't know, and then feel guilty about leaving him with my best friend because I know she will be in for a rough night, as he is a spotty sleeper even under perfect circumstances. But if I cut out early from the pub crawl I am going to hear about it. Perhaps sending DH back early really will be best he's ok with it! Lol.
  • I am always one to say it is their day so it is their decision but in this case given you are traveling out of state and it is her nephew I would think they would be understanding about having your child there.  With that said, you do need to talk to her but I would hope she would understand why you would need to leave early just like you understand why your child wasn't invited.  Hope it works out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemeglette417:
    I am always one to say it is their day so it is their decision but in this case given you are traveling out of state and it is her nephew I would think they would be understanding about having your child there.  With that said, you do need to talk to her but I would hope she would understand why you would need to leave early just like you understand why your child wasn't invited.  Hope it works out.

Definitely agree that it goes both ways. If you're supposed to be accepting of the fact that she's having a child free wedding, then she needs to accept the fact that you may need to skip out on certain parts of the festivities to take care of your child. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• My family would also insist that the niece/nephew attend a family wedding. Our niece and nephew were our flower girl & ring bearer. We're so close to them...I can't even imagine! We did limit kids at our wedding (due to cost and space), but wouldn't have even considered not having our niece and nephew!

For the pub crawl, either you don't go at all, or you go and leave LO with your DH. I would also struggle with this because I wouldn't be able to hire a stranger from out of town from care.com for a one time sitter!

Did you grow up in the town where the wedding is? If so, maybe there is someone that you grew up with? If you're on FB, you could post that you're looking for childcare help on the day of the wedding (and mention the city). I actually found our nanny through one of my FB friends when I posted that we were looking for help. I still interviewed her and had her come over while I was home several times before leaving her alone with the kids, but it was so nice to have a mutual connection with her.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• The problem with picking him up at midnight is that the wedding festivities are all in the downtown area, while everyone, including my friend, lives out in the suburbs, so it would be a minimum hour and a half round trip to go get him and bring him back to the hotel that everyone associated with the wedding is staying in. It's obviously not the end of the world, but it's a consideration.
  • Their day their way unfortunately. Especially being  a morning event rather than night formal thing, it surprises me. Does any one of your local family trust someone, you could do it that way. I wouldn't dream of leaving LO with someone random. I'd make DH stay home before I did that. As for pub crawl I'd just skip it or have DH stay with LO--isn't any of the maybe older family skipping the pub crawl and could watch LO at the hotel til you get back.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It's their wedding, so it's their choices.  Unless they want you dictating restrictions on their weddings - I can imagine some families are close enough to be cool with that.

That said, it's your family, your choices.  You can skip the crawl so you're there for bed, or do whatever you need to in order to find a compromise.  The whole "I wouldn't hear the end of it" just means that you're willing to let someone try to guilt you into making a decision you don't want to have to make.  Own your decision - whichever you make - and just tell any childish people (including a sister, if it ends up that way) that your an adult and have to make your own decisions too.

IMG_8355
  • You aren't being a jerk. Childfree weddings should be reserved for childless snobs who have only childless friends.  I'd be pissed my only option is to leave my kid w/ a stranger.  Actually I wouldn't do that, so it wouldn't be my only option, I'd only participate in what I was actually in- I don't care if someone would give me grief.
  • imagesunnyday016:

I simply would not go to the pub crawl.

I agree with this.  I wouldn't be offended that my child wasn't invited to the wedding, but I would expect the bride to understand that I won't be able to attend the pub crawl (or that I have to leave early).  Hopefully your sister will be reasonable.  Good luck! 

ETA:  Also agree with PP who said you need to own your decision.  I understand wanting to be there for your sister, but expecting you to leave your LO to be there for every minute of a pub crawl *after* the ceremony and reception is a bit much.  Leave LO with DH, go to the pub crawl for an hour, then leave.  And if your family can't handle that, explain that you have to do what's best for your DH and LO, and you're sorry that you didn't have any other options. 

• shannmshannm member
    I hear you and understand your frustration. I have been in the same situation multiple times. And it irritated me that family wouldn't make exceptions for us including when DS was only six weeks old and I was still exclusively BF. we actually attended the rehearsal dinner where the baby was allowed but skipped the wedding.

In the other instances, we had my mom come and stay with DS overnight rather than travel with him.

Having said all that...we are invited to a wedding this fall where kids are welcome and frankly, we would prefer not to bring them. I am considering bringing them but contacting a sitter through an agency or hiring one of our daycare teachers to stay with them at our home for two days.

I know it hurts to be told that you can't bring him but seriously consider it as a reason to have a night out and off.
  • I might be in the minority here but I do not believe children belong at formal wedding.   Simply because the parents never get a chance to enjoy themselves.  leLittle ones get tired and cranky and what do the parents have to do, leave any way.        I think they should be able to attend ceremony but the reception and especially in this case a bar crawl would be totally inappropriate.

I have never heard of a bar crawl for a wedding reception .  In this area it is not a venue that is popular.    Just let hubby go to bar crawl and you come back and do what you want to do for your baby.   End of story.   Tell them in no uncertain terms.

• I think it stinks but again it's her day. I am in my cousin's wedding in a few months and we both have 16 month olds. She has said no kids and all our family ( I am also living out of town) will be attending the wedding. Her wedding is at 2 and reception isn't until 7 and it's an hour away! But again..not my day so I have had to find a babysitter for the Rehearsal dinner and the full wedding day. Just how it goes.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Since there is a reception in addition to the pub crawl, I'm not seeing any obligation to also attend the pub crawl, let alone stay for the whole thing. That's not skipping the wedding at all. And I can't believe all the older relatives are doing it.

'Her day' means the bride gets to do what she wants but not that every single other person has to 100% follow along. Besides, by halfway through the pub crawl, she'll never even notice whether you're there.

It's absolutely their right to have a child-free wedding and there are many good reasons for that, but the trade-off is that their guests who do have children are equally within their rights to skip the things they cannot accommodate.

• imagekristennd:

Since there is a reception in addition to the pub crawl, I'm not seeing any obligation to also attend the pub crawl, let alone stay for the whole thing. That's not skipping the wedding at all. And I can't believe all the older relatives are doing it.

'Her day' means the bride gets to do what she wants but not that every single other person has to 100% follow along. Besides, by halfway through the pub crawl, she'll never even notice whether you're there.

It's absolutely their right to have a child-free wedding and there are many good reasons for that, but the trade-off is that their guests who do have children are equally within their rights to skip the things they cannot accommodate.

I do agree with that.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Since it is a sister that is getting married... I'd be a jerk and bring my kid to the wedding.  She'd get over it.  I can understand not having other kids at the party, but your own nephew, that's ridiculous.  Especially since all caretakers are at the wedding.  I wouldn't leave my kid with some stranger just to accommodate some whiny bride.

As far as the pub crawl, if no one I knew could watch my kid, I wouldn't go. I wouldn't have him spend the night at anyone's house, unless it was a parent or very close friend and such. 

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • imagesunnyday016:

imagemeglette417:
    I am always one to say it is their day so it is their decision but in this case given you are traveling out of state and it is her nephew I would think they would be understanding about having your child there.  With that said, you do need to talk to her but I would hope she would understand why you would need to leave early just like you understand why your child wasn't invited.  Hope it works out.

Definitely agree that it goes both ways. If you're supposed to be accepting of the fact that she's having a child free wedding, then she needs to accept the fact that you may need to skip out on certain parts of the festivities to take care of your child. 

This.  I would go to the morning festivities and leave LO with babysitter.  Then for the pubcrawl, I'd either leave LO with BF for a few hours or go alone and let DH stay with LO.  I wouldn't leave him all night.  

Yes it's annoying that kids aren't allowed, but it's her day so she can do what she wants.  That being said, you have a responsibility to make sure your child is taken care of and if that means you have to miss out on some peripheral festivities in order to be there for the main event, so be it.

• We had a childfree wedding because of issues with one set of children on DH's side (they are screaming monsters and have ruined many events including DH's college graduation ceremony where the invited speaker literally stopped and asked them to be removed in front of thousands of people).  Because of them we had to exclude all children. So I wouldn't take the non-child thing too personally because the bride and groom can't pick and choose which children attend and which don't. There may be someone on the grooms side that they just don't want participating whether it be children of friends or family. With that said, I completely understand how frustrating it is to find a sitter or leave your children with strangers.  In that situation I would absolutely leave part-way to check on your LO. If things aren't going well then I'd probably skip the pub crawl or have your DH skip it and stay with your LO.  Your sister may not understand now, but she will when she has children. I can say that while my in-laws were somewhat upset at having to find sitters for their children during our wedding they told me afterwards that it was the best wedding they'd been to in ages because they could just be adults and not have to worry about watching their children or curbing their behavior.  I wish you luck!
  • It is their wedding so, like it or not, they get to do whatever they want. That being said, I do find it a little odd that her only nephew can't be at the wedding and reception. My BIL is getting married this fall and I am understanding that they aren't inviting children, but it has been make clear that my girls can definitely be there, as they are his only nieces and my oldest is their flower girl. Have you talked to your sister about it? I would just let her know that you can only be at the pub crawl for a little while because you don't want DC to have to spend the night somewhere else. Or could your parents watch you LO? My Mom and MILs would jump at the chance to not have to bar crawl and instead spend time with their grand kid. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageDaisyBlinks:
    Leave him with your BFF, skip the pub crawl. Possibly even the end of the reception. It's your sister, but when you insist on no kids, you have to accept that that means that people with children might have to miss out on some things. I would not leave my child with a stranger. 

This exactly. It seems like you are uncomfortable leaving your child with a stranger, as I would be. Honestly, I wouldn't even leave my son with someone that I knew in the past, but haven't been in contact with in a long time. It's your sister, she may be annoyed that you can't make it to the pub crawl or have to leave early, but she'll get over it. I would definitely talk openly about it with her though, rather than springing it on her the day of. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDaisyBlinks:
    Leave him with your BFF, skip the pub crawl. Possibly even the end of the reception. It's your sister, but when you insist on no kids, you have to accept that that means that people with children might have to miss out on some things. I would not leave my child with a stranger. 

This. 

• imagesingingirl96:

Since it is a sister that is getting married... I'd be a jerk and bring my kid to the wedding.   

Wow that is a real d*ck move. Do you generally just completely disregard the wishes/feelings of other people and do whatever the f you want or only when it's family?

I would just go to the pub crawl by myself and let my husband watch the baby.  

• ebp913ebp913 member

imageAsquared:
    You aren't being a jerk. Childfree weddings should be reserved for childless snobs who have only childless friends.  I'd be pissed my only option is to leave my kid w/ a stranger.  Actually I wouldn't do that, so it wouldn't be my only option, I'd only participate in what I was actually in- I don't care if someone would give me grief.

You have got to be kidding.  The world doesn't revolve around people with kids.   

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • ebp913ebp913 member

TBH, it's totally her prerogative if she doesn't want kids there.  She's the bride and she gets to choose.  I know that that sucks but remember when you were getting married... what if this same situation had come up?  You probably would have been like, what's the big deal, get a sitter.  I didn't have kids at my wedding because I wanted a party and kids don't know how to party. 

That said, I would go to the pub crawl and send your husband back to stay with your LO if you don't want to leave LO with your BF.  However I really think your best friend can spend one evening or night with your child.  I don't think that that's asking too much honestly.  It's one night.  Not to mention you get to be kid free all day and night!  THAT SOUNDS AMAZING. 

I use sitters regularly who I have references for but I don't know well.  I simply can't always take the time to get to know them exactly but as long as they are recommended by friends or family/have references, I am good with that.   

Also, I think you need to go to all the festivities.  This is your sister!!!  This is the one day of her life she really really wants you to be there for her and you should be.  I think that trumps everything else.  You LO will be okay.  

image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • You know, this is a very cultural thing.  I would never in one million years imagine anyone in my family telling me I couldn't bring my kids to their wedding (family only).  But then again I come from a Mexican/Colombian background and my husband is Puerto Rican so kids are always welcome.  Bringing kids to a night time reception is another issue but every wedding I've been to allows kids too (we just have cool friends who respect that children are people too).

So I would never be placed in this situation with family, but if it was a friend I would respect their wishes and not bring my kids.  I would try and meet the babysitter ahead of time to get comfortable with them and sorry but I wouldn't stay at the pub crawl more than an hour or two.  

I do respect people who want childless weddings but family is different IMO.  Why don't you just talk your sister, tell her you can't find a good babysitter and ask if your child can just come to the wedding part and then leave him w/your BFF for the reception/pub crawl and come home by midnight?    

• ebp913ebp913 member
    imagemexicolombiana:

(we just have cool friends who respect that children are people too).

So because someone doesn't want your kid at a wedding, they don't respect that your children are people?  

Dramatic much? 

image   image
  • Honestly I do understand child free weddings, but am surprised that your son isn't a ring bearer or something seeing as how you are the only attendant. I mean, yes he's young but it'd be super cute if they put him in a wagon or something.

I guess that's neither here nor there since that is not what she chose.

But I would first, ask your sister if he can come, if he cannot I would ask for help finding reliable child care for the morning wedding. I would probably have my DH leave the reception after an hour or two if you end up having to leave your son with someone you have never met before; then I would have my DH stay home from the pub crawl to watch LO.

She knows you have a kid, and she'll either understand or won't. But that's what I would do. Maybe it's b/c my son is 18 months, but I really don't feel comfortable leaving him overnight. I just don't have that feeling in me of "I wish I had a child free evening with me and my H". I assume I will feel that way when he gets older or maybe when I have 2, but I don't feel that way right now. So this would not be a gift to me either.

It's appropriate to say "it's her day" to a point, but I have not ever been to a child free wedding that involved travel for the bridal party and other out of town guests with children, and the bride did not assist in providing assistance of some type on child care to the family's children - either by providing suggestions for sitters or, in one case, providing a room in the hotel where the wedding took place with 2 child care workers that watched the kids during the wedding. I wouldn't expect her to go that far, but really providing a child care recommendation is in some ways as basic as providing a hotel recommendation for out of town guests.

Honestly, if you talk to your sister about it, you may find that it's not that big of a deal so I would start with that first.

\image  image

• imageLalaMama81:
    imageebp913:
    imagemexicolombiana:

So because someone doesn't want your kid at a wedding, they don't respect that your children are people?  

Dramatic much? 

This thread is ridiculous. I can't believe how many people are claiming they'd skip part of their own sister's wedding day because they didn't want to leave their toddler with their BFF.

I think "it's her day" can go to far and become selfish. And I think it's presumptuous to think that a night or day free from your child is going to be a gift to every parent.  

But it can absolutely become selfish if you think your kids are god's gift to everyone else and don't understand that some people don't want children at a formal event or don't want children at an event where the hosts have to pay a price per head (sometimes including children).

\image  image

• ebp913ebp913 member
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageebp913:
    imagemexicolombiana:

Dramatic much? 

This thread is ridiculous. I can't believe how many people are claiming they'd skip part of their own sister's wedding day because they didn't want to leave their toddler with their BFF.

SERIOUSLY.  My mind is blown.   

image   image
  • ebp913ebp913 member

I don't really see how the bride arranging for childcare from a stranger is better than the cousin's friend watching him.  At least someone can vouch for the cousin's friend.  

image   image
  • I would skip the pub crawl to be honest, and I think they'd have to just suck it up or understand. Just tell them the truth, you're parents and have responsibilities. Or call your friend prior to the pub crawl and see how it's going...if it's okay, then go, if not go back.

If you can make sure to spend time prior to dropping him off with anyone so that he can warm up to them.  I know my DS would freak out if we left him with people, even his family he doesn't see often but knows on a whim. If you could go to lunch with them the day before and maybe the park to play or something that might be helpful.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • It is the couple's  (more than just the bride gets married that day...people are ridiculous) prerogative to choose what type of wedding they have, and by doing so, they need to accept that maybe not everyone can join in for those choices they made.  Just becuase it's an important day to you and people are happy for you, doesn't mean people should just bow down to your every beck and call.  You risk the chance of of excluding people, and they have to understand that, but they still get the day they wanted out of it.

I always get annoyed with people that have exceptions or requests of guests then get mad when someone won't go, becuase they can't accomodate that request.  the person is trying to be respectful of your wishes...not everyone can fly to Fiji, or wear a period costume to attend your wedding...just like people that travel out of town for it, may not have childcare for a child free wedding...or not be able to stay the whole time. You can have your day...but the world doesn't revolve around you just because you put on a white dress and stomp your feet.

Maybe if peopel put more thought into the meaning of the day, and the reason for it, instead of "I get to be a pretty pretty princess and get what I want" there wouldn't be so many divorces.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • imageebp913:
    imagemexicolombiana:

Dramatic much? 

Yep. It's the Latino way.  We're dramatic and we allow kids at weddings.   

EDIT: also I'm not that surprised at this thread and in no way does it blow my mind.  Having children at a wedding or not is a hotly debated issue.  Did you expect everyone would answer the same way? Obviously some people will hate kids at weddings, some will love kids at weddings, some won't care, etc.  To each their own.  Being that OP is attending her sister's wedding I hope they can come to some compromise that makes everyone happy.   

• Original poster here.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's feedback and am amazed at how many responses this has gotten. No idea that this was such a hotly debated issue!

To provide some context, the wedding is in the area where I grew up, but we have not lived there in years, so the only adults in the area that my son is familiar with are family members and my BFF.

The reason that the wedding is child free is not because the bride and groom want a "child free" atmosphere but because it's a small venue with limited occupancy, and even babies count toward the head count, and they made the decision to go child free to open up the guest list. It's not a formal evening reception, either; the whole thing will be over by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I just want to reiterate that I completely agree that it's their day, their decision on that.

The thing that has been the bigger problem for me is that when they originally decided to go child free, they were going to provide a group of sitters, either on site or in the wedding block, to watch all of the children of the guests. I was fine with this because my son would have had the opportunity to spend time with his second cousins and new in-law cousins, with multiple supervisors. But then everyone else who has kids decided to send them to their in-laws, so they canceled the whole sitter thing.

The pub crawl also initially started off as a "dinner party," which we could have brought our son to, then evolved into a pub crawl, complete with personalized T-shirts. I come from a family of partiers, so they will all be there and will be out very late.

I'm not hurt or offended that my son, and the other kids, were "not invited." It's more just frustration of being put in a tough situation. The one time I said something to my sister about being stressed about finding child care, she said something along the lines of "well, now I feel like you're not going to have any fun because you'll be worried about it." I was basically like, sorry, but I don't know what you want!

• Also, to be clear, I enjoy child free time as much as the next person, when LO is with someone I trust. I do trust my BFF as you'd expect, but in her case I just feel bad because he's a bit of a handful, day and night.
  • imageNicb13:
    imagelydiarose2001:

Original poster here.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's feedback and am amazed at how many responses this has gotten. No idea that this was such a hotly debated issue!

To provide some context, the wedding is in the area where I grew up, but we have not lived there in years, so the only adults in the area that my son is familiar with are family members and my BFF.

The reason that the wedding is child free is not because the bride and groom want a "child free" atmosphere but because it's a small venue with limited occupancy, and even babies count toward the head count, and they made the decision to go child free to open up the guest list. It's not a formal evening reception, either; the whole thing will be over by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I just want to reiterate that I completely agree that it's their day, their decision on that.

The thing that has been the bigger problem for me is that when they originally decided to go child free, they were going to provide a group of sitters, either on site or in the wedding block, to watch all of the children of the guests. I was fine with this because my son would have had the opportunity to spend time with his second cousins and new in-law cousins, with multiple supervisors. But then everyone else who has kids decided to send them to their in-laws, so they canceled the whole sitter thing.

The pub crawl also initially started off as a "dinner party," which we could have brought our son to, then evolved into a pub crawl, complete with personalized T-shirts. I come from a family of partiers, so they will all be there and will be out very late.

I'm not hurt or offended that my son, and the other kids, were "not invited." It's more just frustration of being put in a tough situation. The one time I said something to my sister about being stressed about finding child care, she said something along the lines of "well, now I feel like you're not going to have any fun because you'll be worried about it." I was basically like, sorry, but I don't know what you want!

This background would have been helpful 2 pages ago! ;)

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't realize that it was coming across as that kind of child free, plus busy morning at work, you get the picture :
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    Do you have a church that you went to when you lived there?  I know whenever I am back visiting my hometown I often ask around the church nursery for people who would help out.  Even if I don't personally know them, often the nursery director can recommend someone they trust if you don't want to use the cousin's friend.  

I know it's still a stranger but I find a lot of times that my kids do better with strangers than they do with me.  Heck our DD is an angel for our nanny but when we get home, it all changes!   If you truly think your BFF can handle it, I would give her the opportunity.  If it was my BFF, I would do that for them even knowing the child can be a handful.  As long as she knows what she is getting into and she is totally okay with that, I would take her up on it.  I bet she realizes what a gift it would be to you guys to take your LO so that you can enjoy yourself.  

Could you get a sitter for the wedding then spend a couple hours with your LO before the pub crawl?  That might make things a little easier on you.

image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"