Special Needs

Is there any way to get an Aide paid for?

I reaching here ....   We have been struggling with Child Care since before lo was dx with Autism, ADHD and SPD in February.  He goes to Full day Preschool through the public school system 8:40-1:40 Mon Friday during the school year ( Mon - Thur for the summer) are issues is before and after care. Lo goes to day care in the am for 30-40 minutes before school and after school for 3-3.5 hours. I need to work and my working pays for all his therapies if i don't work we can't afford it and are not eligible for any assistance either way.

There are no special needs day cares in our area and we are having a hard time find a good fit.  The day care he currently goes to he went to as a baby and loves it however he is acting out which he doesn't do at his autistic school.  I got a letter home stating that he is not listening, throwing toys, not keeping his hands to himself, knocking things over and opening the fire door which is a huge safety concern for everyone. I really don't know what to do any more.  How child care is out since there will be times we will need Ft child care during vacation weeks from school and etc.  Full time child care at home would range from 550-750 a week and we can not afford it.   

The day care seem to be really trying to work with us but, other than to give them some suggestion not sure what else I can do.  I am wondering since he has an IEP if there is any way I can get the day care extra funding or some type of Aide that would help them out and take some of the pressure off them

Does any one have any suggestions or has had child care issues like this before? He is improving in so many area's and  I feel so lost.  

10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....

Re: Is there any way to get an Aide paid for?

• I want to say ABA therapy but you would have to look at your insurance to see if that is covered.

They have individuals that can go to the daycare and work with your child.

Personally, I would do it but I can't afford it with the insurance I have for DS. DS needs a formal diagnosis and the ABA place even said I would have to buy a brand new insurance plus the co-pays and deductibles. I have to pull over $5,000 out of my behind.

DS will get some ABA therapy but for 2 hours a week for our therapist to complete her masters degree free of charge.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSailor Saturn:

I want to say ABA therapy but you would have to look at your insurance to see if that is covered.

They have individuals that can go to the daycare and work with your child.

Personally, I would do it but I can't afford it with the insurance I have for DS. DS needs a formal diagnosis and the ABA place even said I would have to buy a brand new insurance plus the co-pays and deductibles. I have to pull over $5,000 out of my behind.

DS will get some ABA therapy but for 2 hours a week for our therapist to complete her masters degree free of charge.

I was thinking about this myself. I did ask the nurse practitioner that treats lo about ABA and she wanted us to start with Ot first which we did a few weeks ago.    I need call my ins carrier to see how ABA  works.  I know they cover it but, we are getting OT right now and we only have 50 visits a year and not sure if ABA works as party of that or a separate pool.

10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel your pain- we were stuck in this situation too. Went to public school EI program every day for a chunk of the day, but needed before and after school care. We never had a good fit until we fell a$sbackwards into our current SN preschool. It's 1.5 miles from my house and I never knew it was there- our developmental pedi had to recommend it! It was never advertised in the "daycare" section of the yellow pages, and from the signage I assumed it was just a treatment facility. I have since heard of other "day treatment" type facilities that offer before and after school care. If you haven't already, have you tried calling your state or county licensing authority and asking them to provide a list of centers in your zip code or busing zone? There may be some you have missed and not known. Or contacted your local autism society and asked for their advice.

You're smart to look into an aide or PCA, I wouldn't know where to start.

Another option is to look on Care.com- we used this site to find an occasional date night babysitter for DS.

• imageMirandaHobbes:

I feel your pain- we were stuck in this situation too. Went to public school EI program every day for a chunk of the day, but needed before and after school care. We never had a good fit until we fell a$sbackwards into our current SN preschool. It's 1.5 miles from my house and I never knew it was there- our developmental pedi had to recommend it! It was never advertised in the "daycare" section of the yellow pages, and from the signage I assumed it was just a treatment facility. I have since heard of other "day treatment" type facilities that offer before and after school care. If you haven't already, have you tried calling your state or county licensing authority and asking them to provide a list of centers in your zip code or busing zone? There may be some you have missed and not known. Or contacted your local autism society and asked for their advice.

You're smart to look into an aide or PCA, I wouldn't know where to start.

Another option is to look on Care.com- we used this site to find an occasional date night babysitter for DS.

I so wish we had something like that near hear.   I asked The local children's hospital where Lo is being treated and they didn't know of any place.   I did call the county  licensing authority but, maybe i should try again. Thanks for the advice.

• Another long shot, but maybe worth asking about if your preschool is at all accomodating, is whether they have a "helper" available. For example, DS went to vacation bible school a few weeks ago. I was a little nervous about how he would fare- unfamilier nontrained adult volunteers and all. I spoke with the coordinator and they were more than happy to appoint a junior high volunteer to assist him throughout the week. Obviously this might be tougher to do in a preschool setting, but even if they have someone available part of the time, or during tough transitions- someone who is more of an intern? I know this is really difficult to deal with, there is nothing that makes me more stressed out than dealing with caregivers!! We had to go through the whole shebang all over again recently when we found out that our afterschool care fell through for when DS starts kindy next month. I even started calling child care centers that said they wouldn't take school-aged kids, and pleaded with them to reconsider! Keep at it, you never know what you'll find. Like auntie said, eventually someone is going to have a tip that is useful. (Our VBS "helper" is now our date-night babysitter and we couldn't be more thrilled!)
  • image-auntie-:

This is one of those situations where a local support group can be invaluable. There's likely someone there who knows what is available in your community whether it's a SN day care, a process for obtaining a Therapeutic Support worker or people who babysit SN kids.

If you're still in NJ, poke around here and see if there's any local resource-

https://www.njcosac.org/

The link doesn't work.  

• imageBrandi Bee:
    What does the preschool say?  Have they any suggestions?  Isla does something similar and the preschool coordinator (I guess that is her title?) usually has lots of info about things like that.

They have been asking for input and willing to try anything which makes me happy since his other school didn't want to deal with it at all.   I gave them some suggestions and told them I would talk with LO's therapist tomorrow when he has OT.

• imageMirandaHobbes:
    Another long shot, but maybe worth asking about if your preschool is at all accomodating, is whether they have a "helper" available. For example, DS went to vacation bible school a few weeks ago. I was a little nervous about how he would fare- unfamilier nontrained adult volunteers and all. I spoke with the coordinator and they were more than happy to appoint a junior high volunteer to assist him throughout the week. Obviously this might be tougher to do in a preschool setting, but even if they have someone available part of the time, or during tough transitions- someone who is more of an intern? I know this is really difficult to deal with, there is nothing that makes me more stressed out than dealing with caregivers!! We had to go through the whole shebang all over again recently when we found out that our afterschool care fell through for when DS starts kindy next month. I even started calling child care centers that said they wouldn't take school-aged kids, and pleaded with them to reconsider! Keep at it, you never know what you'll find. Like auntie said, eventually someone is going to have a tip that is useful. (Our VBS "helper" is now our date-night babysitter and we couldn't be more thrilled!)

When they have extra helper or teacher they Provide it but, since they don't have a lot of children for the summer they don't have as much staff as they do during the school year.   I'm trying to find out if there is any funding through our state for them with his dx and if so they said they could get extra help for him. 

• Have you looked into respite or habilitation care in your area? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"