VBAC

Arrested decent?

mrambo3mrambo3 member

ANyone have arrested decent with their first child (small pelvic opening) and have a successful VBAC the second time around?  I'm getting more and more discouraged as the time gets closer to having #2.  My water broke and I dilated to a 10, pushed for 2 hours and was told I was in arrested decent.  DS still hadn't dropped and once CS was over, the doctor told my DH that I would never be able to deliver vaginally.  

I think I'm most nervous about a VBAC because of the arrested decent and it happening again.  Also, they told me that even if I go into active labor myself (water breaks or whatever), no pitocin will be given at all.

DH is on board and fully supports me to have a VBAC and understands why I want one but he also doesn't want anything to happen to me or the baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Arrested decent?

• skioskio member
    Yep. I labored for 24 hours with DD1 and pushed for 3 hours and she wouldn't descend. I had both an epi amd Pitocin during labor. She was 8lbs13oz and I am a small woman with narrow hips; everyone liked to tell me that the c/s was due to my size.

I decided as soon as she was born, though, that I wouldn't accept that. My body wouldn't make perfectly healthy babies that I couldn't birth. Pelvic size has nothing to do with hip size.

I had my second daughter vaginally. She was 9lbs. I avoided all interventions this time and while it did take her a while to descend even when I was fully dilated, she did. I just had to be patient and trust my body. And not having drugs this time helped me to know when it was time to push. I labored at 10cm for a good hour and a half before feeling the pressure to push, then she was out in 20 minutes.

I did a lot of pelvic 'prep' this time; ball bouncing, tilts, squats, inversions. And a chiro adjustment worked wonders for me. And honestly, never doubting that my body could do it was probably really key for me.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you for this! I am just getting so discouraged as time progresses.  My water broke with DS so that was another reason why I had to have the c/s because I was almost at 26 hours.  

I see a chiro regularly and have told him my goal of wanting a VBAC and he said he'd do whatever he could to help me.   

Do you have any good websites you used for all your pelvic "prep"? 

• Loading the player...
  • Are you seeing the same OB who did your first CS? Do you know if your first was malpositioned?

I dilated fully w DS1, and pushed for 4ish hours. He never descended, and I had a CS with him. I went on to have a VBAC with a baby who was significantly bigger, with no complications.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:
    Are you seeing the same OB who did your first CS? Do you know if your first was malpositioned? I dilated fully w DS1, and pushed for 4ish hours. He never descended, and I had a CS with him. I went on to have a VBAC with a baby who was significantly bigger, with no complications.

I'm seeing the same practice (consists of 7 doctors).  The one that did my CS walked out of my CS and told my husband that I would never have a vaginal delivery because I am too small.  This same OB is 100% on board with my VBAC though so go figure.

I don't know if he was malpositioned or not.  THe week leading up to my delivery, I had an ultrasound and the doctor said he was slightly tilted in my pelvis but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.  That's why I question the whole small pelvis thing.  And another doctor this past week told me that even if he was slightly tilted, labor would have corrected him.  Don't know if I believe her or not.

• skioskio member
    Check out spinningbabies.com. The 'exercises for during pregnancy' are the ones I did daily; an inversion, pelvic tilts, hip openers...I can't remember them all. And I would do squats regularly, too, and hip circles on the ball.

Honestly, sounds like you'd be totally fine to birth vaginally! I'd recommend reading a couple empowering books about birth, too. The hypnobirthing method was a good read for me, whether you plan to use the technique or not. And Ina May's guide to childbirth is another good one. It's encouraging to read facts about the human body and how amazingly able it is to give birth. Lots of luck to you.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageskio:
    Check out spinningbabies.com. The 'exercises for during pregnancy' are the ones I did daily; an inversion, pelvic tilts, hip openers...I can't remember them all. And I would do squats regularly, too, and hip circles on the ball. Honestly, sounds like you'd be totally fine to birth vaginally! I'd recommend reading a couple empowering books about birth, too. The hypnobirthing method was a good read for me, whether you plan to use the technique or not. And Ina May's guide to childbirth is another good one. It's encouraging to read facts about the human body and how amazingly able it is to give birth. Lots of luck to you.

thank you! i haven't read the hypnobirthing book but I did read Ina May's last time around and it was amazing! 

• I pushed for just under 4 hours with my DD, she never got below 0 station. It was awful. The doc also told my DH I'd never birth a term baby vaginally. I delivered my bigger DS vaginally. I had an epi and a high dose of pitocin for my vbac, and it was the best experience of my life. Baby positioning is the whole game changer. DD was not positioned properly and just wouldn't come out. When you go into labor stay up and move, hip circles, bouncing on an exercise ball, etc. I was at a 4 when I got the epi and at a 10 and pushing just a few hours later. GL! You have to believe. You can do this!!
  • Do you what constraints they have on VBAC? How long can you go, past your due date, etc? I would ask them specifics of when they would recommend a RCS, how long you can go last your due date. Pitocin for induction is okay for VBAC.

In wouldn't believe the small pelvis thing, either. Lots and lots of women have gone on to have successful VBACs.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

• imagenosoup4u:
    Do you what constraints they have on VBAC? How long can you go, past your due date, etc? I would ask them specifics of when they would recommend a RCS, how long you can go last your due date. Pitocin for induction is okay for VBAC. In wouldn't believe the small pelvis thing, either. Lots and lots of women have gone on to have successful VBACs.

They won't let me go past 41 weeks, which I'm okay with.  THey said that if I come in labor to the hospital, I pretty much have to do it all on my own.  There are a few doctors that will give a light dose of pitocin but I guess some of them won't give it at all.  I'll be asking at all my visits about if they will or won't. 

• Oh, you're in Chicago! I've been reading this thread on my phone.

Are you at Prentice? (Not that you have to switch practices, but UIC has a good VBAC rate, and the midwives in Oak Park do a lot of them, too. Chicago has good options, at any rate).  

I would just be very sure your doctor who said you were too "small" is really truly supportive of your plans to VBAC, and isn't going to pull a bait and switch with sizing u/s or something. Good luck! 

DS1 - Feb 2008

• imagenosoup4u:

Oh, you're in Chicago! I've been reading this thread on my phone.

Are you at Prentice? (Not that you have to switch practices, but UIC has a good VBAC rate, and the midwives in Oak Park do a lot of them, too. Chicago has good options, at any rate).  

I would just be very sure your doctor who said you were too "small" is really truly supportive of your plans to VBAC, and isn't going to pull a bait and switch with sizing u/s or something. Good luck! 

I'm in the SW burbs so downtown and OP is too far for me! The doctor who did my CS is definitely on board with my VBAC.  it's another doctor who's making me second guess myself :( 

• imagemrambo3:
    imagenosoup4u:

I'm in the SW burbs so downtown and OP is too far for me! The doctor who did my CS is definitely on board with my VBAC.  it's another doctor who's making me second guess myself :( 

Ah, gotha. Well, just refuse any and all sizing ultrasounds at the end, seriously. And think about turning down cervix checks, and stay at home as long as possible, so you're not on the clock too long at the hospital. Hopefully whoever's on call will be really supportive. You'll do great! 

DS1 - Feb 2008

• imagenosoup4u:
    imagemrambo3:
    imagenosoup4u:

Ah, gotha. Well, just refuse any and all sizing ultrasounds at the end, seriously. And think about turning down cervix checks, and stay at home as long as possible, so you're not on the clock too long at the hospital. Hopefully whoever's on call will be really supportive. You'll do great! 

Thank you!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"