Food & Nutrition

Mangos

Anyone ever made mango puree? My grandmother gave us a bunch of mangos so I want to puree it like I've done with other foods. I'm just not quite sure how. Do I literally just cut it in chunks and blend it? Is it stringy? Does it freeze well? Curious for opinions and tricks.

Re: Mangos

• I never did, they may not have been in season when DD was eating purees.  But here is my go to site for baby food:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/mangobabyfoodrecipes.htm#.UaZhYECsiSo 

• ilanatilanat member
    Yes, you can puree mango.  It has a sweet and delicious flavor that babies love.  I have steamed and then pureed it many times.  One thing I recommend is to add back in some of the mango liquid from the steaming to give it a mushy texture; otherwise, it can be a bit grainy.  You can also mix it with other fruits, like apple puree, or banana puree, to give variety for flavor and also to help soften the texture.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageilanat:
    Yes, you can puree mango.  It has a sweet and delicious flavor that babies love.  I have steamed and then pureed it many times.  One thing I recommend is to add back in some of the mango liquid from the steaming to give it a mushy texture; otherwise, it can be a bit grainy.  You can also mix it with other fruits, like apple puree, or banana puree, to give variety for flavor and also to help soften the texture.  

I'm curious why steam it and not just throw it in a blender?  It's so soft and squishy anyway, I think I only ever fork mashed it for DD and didn't even bother with the blender.  Ditto avocado and banana.  Mango freezes really well just cut into chunks, too.  Before she had teeth, DD used to LOVE frozen mango chunks in one of those mesh feeder things.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pureed w/out steaming. My initial mistake, however, was not knowing that the darn thing wasn't ripe. Could barely cut the "meat" away from the hard center and ended up fighting with it just to get a few lousy ounces!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it was soft, I would just mush it up like a banana. I would never steam it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"