Food Allergy
Options

Questions about first exposure to peanuts

DS is almost 17 months and had a miniscule tasteof peanut butter for the first time last week. He immediately started crying, drooling, and broke into hives all over his mouth, chin, and cheek, with some spreading over his eyebrow and down his neck. He calmed down after a minute and never developed wheezing or anything. It took about an hour and a half for the last hive to go away. The pedi said it was most likely a peanut allergy and to avoid all nuts until age 2 when we will discuss how to test for the allergy.

I was shocked because there is no history of food allergies in the family and DS has such a strong comstitution otherwise. He has eaten fish, avocado, and tree nuts with no problem. Anyway, because of the shock it took me a while to think of these questions... which I will, of course, ask our pedi at our next appointment. But I was hoping for some reassurance in the meantime.

1. Is there any chance at ALL that this was a one time thing that he may have outgrown ny age 2?
2. I know hayfever and pet allergies can go away as kids get older but I've always been under the impression that food allergies are here to stay. Is this true? Or can they go away?
3. This seemed like a pretty serious reaction for a first exposure. Don't they get worse with each exposure? Why didn't my pedi suggest an epi pen? Do I need one? (I keep benadryl in the diaper bag now.)
4. Almost everything has a "packaged in a factory that processes nuts" warning on the label. Jeez, even oatmeal! Is this a concern? Or is that just a cover-our- kind of warning that doesn't make much difference?
Sorry, I know these questions are kind of dumb... I'm just so dismayed and flummoxed. I do plan to ask my pedi but was hoping for some insight from more experienced mamas!

Re: Questions about first exposure to peanuts

• Options

I would just get a referral to an allergist.  You might have to wait a couple of months to get in anyway, so you might as well make an appointment sooner rather than later.

It is possible to outgrow food allergies as well, but usually the more severe the less likely they will outgrow them.  Even though this is the first time your DS has eaten peanut butter, it's probably not his first exposure.  If you eat it, chances are he's at least had incidental exposure.  I really think an allergist could best answer your questions.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but it gets easier.  My older DD is severely allergic to peanuts/tree nuts.  It sucks, but the best thing you can do is find an informed professional who can help you navigate it.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"