August 2012 Moms
Options

Baby shower question

Obviously, this is totally unrelated to A12 babies.

But I am afraid of the baby showers board.  ;o)

FIL's girlfriend and I are throwing a shower for SIL.  She is due in mid-November; the shower will be on a Thursday evening in early October.  It's going to be a dessert party and we will put that on the invitation so people don't come hungry for dinner.  (I am super, super excited to make tasty and adorable desserts!)

FIL's GF would really like to do a couple of big gifts off the registry.  She would like to suggest to people that instead of buying a gift, they chip in so a few large items (i.e. a jogging stroller) can be purchased.  She feels this will also limit the 2+ hours of gift opening that went on at SIL's first shower.

I'm not sure that it's okay to put this on an invitation.  I don't even like to put registry information on invites, although this seems to have become commonplace now.  (My mother did NOT include registry information on my shower invites and therefore people assumed we hadn't registered anywhere.  I heard many times, "Since you didn't register, we weren't sure what to buy."  That is a different rant, though...)

Do you agree?  Can you think of ANY tactful way, other than suggesting this by word of mouth when people call to ask about the registry?

Re: Baby shower question

• Options
    imagepiphigirl:

FIL's girlfriend and I are throwing a shower for SIL.  She is due in mid-November; the shower will be on a Thursday evening in early October.  It's going to be a dessert party and we will put that on the invitation so people don't come hungry for dinner.  (I am super, super excited to make tasty and adorable desserts!)

FIL's GF would really like to do a couple of big gifts off the registry.  She would like to suggest to people that instead of buying a gift, they chip in so a few large items (i.e. a jogging stroller) can be purchased.  She feels this will also limit the 2+ hours of gift opening that went on at SIL's first shower.

I'm not sure that it's okay to put this on an invitation.  I don't even like to put registry information on invites, although this seems to have become commonplace now.  (My mother did NOT include registry information on my shower invites and therefore people assumed we hadn't registered anywhere.  I heard many times, "Since you didn't register, we weren't sure what to buy."  That is a different rant, though...)

Do you agree?  Can you think of ANY tactful way, other than suggesting this by word of mouth when people call to ask about the registry?

Probably a good thing you didn't post this on the Baby Showers board. LOL ;)

What time in the evening? Do people have time to get off work, eat dinner and then make it to the shower since you aren't providing dinner?

Are there a lot of people with their own kids who are attending and work? I know most working parents don't like to sacrifice their minimal time in the evening.

Why are you having it on a TR instead of the weekend?

I would only say on the invite something like "If you would like to contribute to a group gift, please contact "insert name" at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Absolutely include registry info. I don't care what the BS board (perfect acronym for them) says, people expect to bring a gift to a baby shower.

ETA: I would provide the group gift statement on the same card you include the registry info on.

• Options

No, there's no tactful way.

Basically, to me, that says, "Come to my shower, but don't buy me too many things because I'm too lazy to open them all!"

If people want to chip in on a big gift, they will, but if they're told to, I have a pretty good feeling that they purposely wouldn't to prove a point.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

There really isn't a tactful way to say it. Chipping in for a big ticket item is something a group of ladies decide to do among themselves, not something their hostess tells them to do.

However, I don't see including registry information on the shower invitation as rude. For a wedding invitation, it's rude, but for shower invitations, no. Isn't the point of a baby or bridal shower to "shower" the MTB or BTB with gifts?

• Options
    imagecedenton:
    Probably a good thing you didn't post this on the Baby Showers board. LOL ;What time in the evening? Do people have time to get off work, eat dinner and then make it to the shower since you aren't providing dinner?Are there a lot of people with their own kids who are attending and work? I know most working parents don't like to sacrifice their minimal time in the evening.Why are you having it on a TR instead of the weekend? I would only say on the invite something like "If you would like to contribute to a group gift, please contact "insert name" at xxxxxxxxxx. Absolutely include registry info. I don't care what the BS board perfect acronym for them says, people expect to bring a gift to a baby shower.ETA: I would provide the group gift statement on the same card you include the registry info on.nbsp;

I was also wondering these questions. If its in the evening around dinner time then dinner should be served.
    I'd probably just tell a few close friends and or family to go in on a gift instead of asking people on the invite.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Also, if I'm going to a shower in the evening, where I'll most likely have to come from work, I would expect dinner.

Registry info on an invite is expected, IMO, not tacky.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    imagethepretzelchick:

There really isn't a tactful way to say it. Chipping in for a big ticket item is something a group of ladies decide to do among themselves, not something their hostess tells them to do.

However, I don't see including registry information on the shower invitation as rude. For a wedding invitation, it's rude, but for shower invitations, no. Isn't the point of a baby or bridal shower to "shower" the MTB or BTB with gifts?

I agree with this! 

photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecedenton:
    imagepiphigirl:

What time in the evening? Do people have time to get off work, eat dinner and then make it to the shower since you aren't providing dinner?

Are there a lot of people with their own kids who are attending and work? I know most working parents don't like to sacrifice their minimal time in the evening.

I would only say on the invite something like "If you would like to contribute to a group gift, please contact "insert name" at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Absolutely include registry info. I don't care what the BS board (perfect acronym for them) says, people expect to bring a gift to a baby shower.

ETA: I would provide the group gift statement on the same card you include the registry info on.

i agree with all of this 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    imagecedenton:
    imagepiphigirl:

Have to agree with all this.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We do group gifts for all our work showers.  I realize that is a little different, but I don't think it is a big deal to mention that.  I'd say "so-and-so is registered at blah, blah, blah, or if you are interested in contributing to a group gift, please contact..."

I should add though, if I don't know the organizer of the group gift I'd probably pick up my own.

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Options
    I would put where she is registered but that's it. If people want to go in on a big gift then they will. Or it can be spread by word of mouth. I don't get offended easily but something like that on an invite would rub me the wrong way.

Also, why is it on a Thursday? As a working mom, that is the last thing I want to go to after work. Even though I do love dessert...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecedenton:
    imagepiphigirl:

this all of it ;)
    lolololo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"