Georgia Babies

Mommy groups?

I have lived in Marietta for a few years now, but had been such a work-a-holic I never made time to find some new friends in my area.  Well I'm slowed down now with a 3 month old and wanted to try to make new friends, meet other people that my husband and I can connect with, preferably with kids so our LO will have children to play with.

I have been on meetups.com and have found some mommy groups in my area, but I'm hesitant to join b/c there are membership dues.  I totally understand the need to offset the cost of the website, and the dues aren't much, but I don't want to just join and find that the group might not be the right fit for me or be able to commit to the timetable and be removed from the group and regret wasting the money.

Is anyone a member of these groups? What do you think about them?  Or how did you go about meeting other families/mommies in your area?

Thanks for your input!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mommy groups?

• I am in the same boat as you, more or less. I have wanted to join these groups but pulled away due to the fees and wondeirng if they would be  the right fit for me... I don not have any children yet, we are expecting our first now:). But I did jion OhBaby! fitness classes and have eally enjoyed it, the people are great plus i'm working out a bit.
  • I am not in any Mommy groups but have also thought about it.  Mothers of Preschoolers was recommended to me but I have been so busy between and preparing for the arrival of our first baby that I haven't joined anything....and it seems like the groups I have found meet at times that don't work so well for me and my work schedule.  If you find a good option, please share.  I live in Woodstock and work in East Cobb.  Thanks!  :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a member of 2 MeetUp groups. They both charge a nominal fee (like $12/year or something) to offset the website costs. I am SURE that if you joined one you either would not need to pay until you went through some sort of trial period (like 30 days), or if you did pay and decided you didn't like it, they would refund your money. The person in charge of the fees is whoever set up the group, not the MeetUp site itself, so you would be dealing with another human being/mom that I would hope would be understanding and sympathetic if you decided the group didn't work for you. I would just email the ones that sound like they might work and see what they say!  Mine have been great and there is literally something on the calendar every single day for us to do if we choose to.
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • imageThat.Just.Happened:
    I am a member of 2 MeetUp groups. They both charge a nominal fee (like $12/year or something) to offset the website costs. I am SURE that if you joined one you either would not need to pay until you went through some sort of trial period (like 30 days), or if you did pay and decided you didn't like it, they would refund your money. The person in charge of the fees is whoever set up the group, not the MeetUp site itself, so you would be dealing with another human being/mom that I would hope would be understanding and sympathetic if you decided the group didn't work for you. I would just email the ones that sound like they might work and see what they say!  Mine have been great and there is literally something on the calendar every single day for us to do if we choose to.

I was a member/potential member of 2 Meetup groups, one that charged and the other that didn't. The one that did did offer a trial period before making you pay. They had tons of meetups, but I wasn't crazy about the attitudes of some of the moms so I ended up not joining. The one I did join I ended up making a new mom friend only because the 2 of us were farther away from the rest of the group and we never made any of the meetups due to the time and distance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Have you looked into specific types of groups? I'm a member of the Gwinett County Babywearing group, as well as the Gwinett county Cloth Diapering Mommies group. Both of which are free and can be found on facebook. I just moved here about a month ago, and I've already found several mommies with babies close to my LO's age. You can also check your birth club on babycenter for local moms. I've found a few on there as well. Try doing a specific google search too, like Atlanta, Ga: christian mommy group. Or "Star Wars mommies" or whatever you interests and hobbies are. However common or unusual, I promise you're not the only mommy out there doing it!
  • I've been trying to find play groups and/or mommy groups as well!  Most of my friends don't have children in Atlanta, and I'm trying to connect with others that have kids.  My son is almost 8 months old.  I've tried Meetup.com, but I'm still looking around.  If you find anything good, or want to try and start up a group, I'd be interested! :)
  • We are fairly new to the area and work a lot! We live in Woodstock and are expecting our first little one Oct 12th! Would love to meet up with some of you gals! Jessicafslls31@gmail.com.
  • mahnnis said:

I am in the same boat as you, more or less. I have wanted to join these groups but pulled away due to the fees and wondeirng if they would be  the right fit for me... I don not have any children yet, we are expecting our first now:). But I did jion OhBaby! fitness classes and have eally enjoyed it, the people are great plus i'm working out a bit.

Love Oh Baby Fitness.
    That is all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"