June 2012 Moms

Does your LO still drink bottles?

DD still takes about 12-15 oz of Neocate per day (3 5-oz bottles).  She wakes up for a night feeding most nights, too.  She was not able to tolerate food until 10 months, so we are still slowly introducing new foods.  She won't drink her formula from a cup, but she drinks water from regular, sippy or straw cups.

I feel like she is still so young, and I'm not too concerned.  Her doctors have not pushed us to stop the bottles, but I am hoping by her 15 month appointment, she will be fully weaned.

Who else's LO still drinks bottles?

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.

Re: Does your LO still drink bottles?

• Parker still gets a bottle at bedtime and he gets a bottle-like sippy cup in the morning.

i try a sippy of milk at lunch and dinner but he's more interested in the food. AAnd he chugs water from a sippy like a champ! 

Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Day 3 of him not drinking a bottle at bedtime (even though I have still offered it just to get something in his belly to sleep on). He will drink a little, and then turn over and fall asleep

He still gets bottles when it's sleepin time. 

• Loading the player...
  • I was gonna post about this today also. I'm not happy with the handouts the pedi gave at DS's 1 year appointment. They weren't helpful at all! I just started slowly switching to WCM last week and this week I'm doing half formula/half WCM bottles. I just started trying to give milk in the straw cup but it's not working. DS has gotten really good at drinking water from the straw cup, but he just spits the formula/milk out. Anyway he gets 3 full meals and a snack or 2 a day, plus 4-5 bottles (anywhere from 4-8 oz each). The handout said he should only get 16 oz of milk a day, but when is he supposed to get that milk? He's still taking a MOTN bottle also and the pedi said to CIO, but I don't feel right doing that because he's obviously waking up hungry: it's not at the same time every night and he downs 8 oz. So my questions are:

How do I get DS to take more milk during the day so as not to get up MOTN?

Am I giving DS too much milk as it is?

What times should he be getting the milk? The handout says milk at this point should be as a beverage with meals and not a standalone thing.

Gosh this stage is so confusing! Sorry to hijack your post but I'm confused.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • gitiggr- I have no idea either! My pedi said no more than 20oz a day of WCM. My LO has exceeded that plenty of times in the switch.

One thing that I think helped is I slowly cut LO off at night. We went from 6oz, to 4oz, to 2oz. He could have a little something to fall back asleep on, but no fullblown meal at 2am buddy. I think he eventually just was figured, "why bother for that little?" 

• No, she started refusing a bottle right after her first birthday. But she only got 5 bottles a week/1 per day when she was away from me. She just takes WCM out of a sippy now. I'm still nursing her in the morning, at night, and when she wakes in the middle of the night.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • She gets two, one when she wakes up in the morning and one before bed. We currently fill those bottles with 4oz of formula and 4oz of wcm. With her breakfast lunch and dinner she gets sippys of wcm and a sippy of water throughout the day. She is not the best eater and hardly drinks any milk from her sippy cup at meals. Our pedi told us to try and haver her off of bottles by 15 months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • DS still has not mastered sippy cups (we've tried several kinds and he just throws them, sigh), so he gets bottles of whole milk and nurses at night and first thing in the morning. He will drink from a regular cup but it's messy.
  • She gets one bottle before bed. I'm hoping to have her off of it within the next week.
  • SigirSigir member
    We still give bottles, I guess I am behind on this. Dd get 4 a day. Better start stepping it up based on the rest of you!
  • I nurse in the morning and at night and MOTN if needed (most nights).  Otherwise she gets 2 bottles because she drinks much more from them.  She loves her straw sippys so we try to do WCM in that but she doesn't usually take it all.  She likes water and watered down juice in it too.  I'm just kind of going with the flow.
    TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He has 1-2 bottles a day (whole milk). The rest of the day he uses sippy cups. It's pretty much just when we take it away now. Luckily he doesn't seem too attached. He never had a bottle with him in the crib so I think that will make it a bit easier.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegitiggr:

He's still taking a MOTN bottle also and the pedi said to CIO, but I don't feel right doing that because he's obviously waking up hungry: it's not at the same time every night and he downs 8 oz. So my questions are:

What times should he be getting the milk? The handout says milk at this point should be as a beverage with meals and not a standalone thing..

I hear you on this post, its hard to know exactly what to do . . . I am also still doing a MOTN bottle. My LO also seems hungry, it's at different times, and he goes right back down.  Not planning on CIO for a while. I might try the gradual cut in amount but we only do 5oz now.  That's always been his max.  I am still doing formula for this.  Its easier. I was nursing until a few weeks ago, that was even easier.  Wish I had been able to keep that up.

I have no idea but I doubt more milk during the day will help with nighttime, I think its more about being ready to span that time.  Maybe it is habit but I am okay with that right now, its easier for our family and we aren't ready to work on changing it.

I heard the same advice on amounts and timing but my Pedi gave more reasoning behind it.  He also said 20oz max and 8-16 might be plenty.  Logic is that too much milk can lead to anemia and less food consumption, which can mean a lack of nutrients and variety.  I would think its fine to exceed this at first as you transition but that sounds like too much long term.

It was also suggested to me that only water be offered between meals.  I'm not sure this was a medical recommendation, more of an antidote from my Doctor about what he's seen lead to successful healthy eating over the years. The idea is that as they enter the picky toddler stage you don't want them to feel like they can fall back on milk or juice to fill them up between meals/snacks and not eat their meals.  So it's some variation of 3 meals a day with milk, 2 healthy snacks, and water in between. I am trying right now to avoid juice completely and stick with meals and snacks in the high chair or some variation of that outside the house, so its only water on the run, during playtime etc.  It does seem like we eat much healthier when we do that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • gitiggr said:

I was gonna post about this today also. I'm not happy with the handouts the pedi gave at DS's 1 year appointment. They weren't helpful at all! I just started slowly switching to WCM last week and this week I'm doing half formula/half WCM bottles. I just started trying to give milk in the straw cup but it's not working. DS has gotten really good at drinking water from the straw cup, but he just spits the formula/milk out. Anyway he gets 3 full meals and a snack or 2 a day, plus 4-5 bottles (anywhere from 4-8 oz each). The handout said he should only get 16 oz of milk a day, but when is he supposed to get that milk? He's still taking a MOTN bottle also and the pedi said to CIO, but I don't feel right doing that because he's obviously waking up hungry: it's not at the same time every night and he downs 8 oz. So my questions are:

What times should he be getting the milk? The handout says milk at this point should be as a beverage with meals and not a standalone thing.

Gosh this stage is so confusing! Sorry to hijack your post but I'm confused.

i cut out all bottles about a week after LO turned one... the HARDEST one to drop was the early morning bottle (4:30ish-5)... i decided to put a sippy cup of water in his crib because maybe he was just thirsty early in the morning. he now wakes up, CHUGS his water, and goes back to sleep for a couple more hours. it is beautiful. i no longer wake up in the early hours to give him a bottle. :)
  • I feel I waited too long with my first to pull the bottle. I'm hoping to do it sooner this time. Plan on stopping the end of the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"