Parenting after a Loss
Options

EP is driving me nuts

I have been EP and bottlefeeding DS.  I thought it would get easier once we were home b/c I didn't have to worry about people randomly walking in while I was pumping.  But now I get caught up trying to do housework, etc and pumping is become more and more of a chore. 

Sometimes I think it would just be easier to switch to formula, but I really want him to have breastmilk.  Feeding from the breast isn't an option right now b/c we're adding a fortifier to my milk b/c of DS's size.  Did anyone else struggle with pumping?  I need some encouragement to continue.

Re: EP is driving me nuts

• Options

I agree with pp I would deffinatly look into if you could fortify some bottles but not all of them? Maybe pump and fortify for every other feeding, or pump during the day and BF at night? I would think that if your lo is able to latch properly that it would be good for him to get practice nursing and the direct stimulation would be good for your supply. I hate pumping with a passion and honestly as much as I love BFing and all of it's benefits (and hate the smell of formula) I probably wouldn't BF if I had to pump. 

I also agree with pp that the housework can wait, put down the duster and snuggle that lil cutie! Wink 

• Options

Sweetie, I feel your pain!! I have been pumping for the last month with some formula supplementing bc DS can't latch, and when he does either a) can't pull the milk thru the shield or b) physically can not swallow bc my nipples are friggin enormous. 

Like you, it's tough to be tied to the machine and I want to switch on some days to formula.  We have to do what's best for our sanity- and if your sanity is preserved by making that switch, do it; if you want to just wait it out a little longer, do it.  However- don't get caught up in things that can wait (like housework) bc time is precious- if all you do it pump, feed, stare at baby and repeat that cycle all day long for a few weeks- DO IT! It's what we are supposed to do right now with our new babies.  Housework will still be there, I promise.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What criteria does LO have to meet to no longer need to fortify? Are you looking at a month more? You can do that. I BFed DS til 16 months, so the 3 that I spent that having to pump incessantly were well worth it. OTOH, if BFing were not going to be an option, then I would quit.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options
    imageKikiCohen:
    I have been EP and bottlefeeding DS.nbsp; I thought it would get easier once we were home b/c I didn't have to worry about people randomly walking in while I was pumping.nbsp; But now I get caught up trying to do housework, etc and pumping is become more and more of a chore.nbsp; Sometimes I think it would just be easier to switch to formula, but I really want him to have breastmilk.nbsp; Feeding from the breast isn't an option right now b/c we're adding a fortifier to my milk b/c of DS's size.nbsp; Did anyone else struggle with pumping?nbsp; I need some encouragement to continue.

I am so sorry you're having such a hard time with it. I agree with a lot of what PPs said.

Pumping is hard. It just is. It was a big PITA for me and I think for most women. I had to pump after every single breast feeding session with my DS to keep my supply going. I wanted to give up SO many times. So I know where you're at. To this day I am SO glad though that I continued until he weaned himself at 10 months. There are so many benefits that I had known about that I see now, especially in terms of his immune system.

I really agree with the fact that the housework can wait while you focus on caring for your newborn and yourself.

Just know, from another mom who had to pump constantly, it is hard. It is a sacrifice in so many ways. But it is also wayyyy worth it. And it's not an exaggeration to say you should feel proud and give yourself a pat on the back after every time you pump. It's hard work!! But it always seemed to me that if something was hard I always remembered my BFFs words to me. "Most things that are worth it are hard."

You can do it if that's your choice and you will feel so proud of yourself too if you keep at it as long as you want to and are able.

Also definitely reach out to a lactation consultant and maybe a BF support group. They were so valuable to me in my experience.

Good luck!!

dream 1 CAME TRUE 2.13.2010

<dream 2> 12.2011

2.10.12 : 4 weeks

6.17.12 : 10 weeks

10.10.12 : 4 weeks, 6 days

12.13.12 : 9 weeks, 1 day

4.6.13 : 4 weeks, 4 days

10.27.13 : 5 weeks, 6 days

4.2.14 (IVF #1) : 4 weeks, 1 day

6.19.14 : IVF #2 Negative

</dream 2>

resolve.org

AMA, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, heterozygous MTHFR

"all it was was a fairytale and devotion to a dream"

lyrics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ***All always welcome!!***

• Options

I'm still struggling with pumping after 3 1/2 months. DD had latching issues because of her size and just never took to nursing directly after that. It is very difficult to maintain and is so time consuming. We just started supplementing with formula because I don't know how much longer I can continue to EP without making myself crazy.

All of that said, i'm glad I've done this as long as I have. I have to set small goals and keep telling myself that I'll re-evaluate the situation after 2 more weeks. And I keep doing this to keep the motivation up. You just have to remember that you are doing the best that you can, and yes it's okay if you need to switch to formula.

*** aka: andreahshields ***

*** July Siggy Challenge - Cake Wrecks ***

BFP#1 3/8/12; diagnosed w/ Anencephaly at 12w6d; D&C 5/9/12
    BFP#2 7/18/12; A/S 10/26/12 It's a Girl! EDD 3/29/13
    Phoebe Jordan Born 3/20/13

imageimage
  • Options

Thanks, ladies!  It sucks that so many of you have found yourself with the same problem, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. 

I'm not 100% sure how long we're supposed to fortify.  I'll add that to my questions for his one month visit.  As of Thursday, he was 4lbs1oz, so I'm guessing we'll be doing it for awhile.

Pumping is definitely most difficult for me at night.  Phillip is on a three hour "schedule" per the pediatrician's orders and sometimes his night feedings take a long time b/c he falls asleep a lot.  So a 20 minute pumping session following the hour it takes to feed him, change him, and put him back down to sleep is usually pretty daunting.  At least DH can help a lot over the weekends. 

• Options
    imageKikiCohen:

Thanks, ladies!  It sucks that so many of you have found yourself with the same problem, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. 

I'm not 100% sure how long we're supposed to fortify.  I'll add that to my questions for his one month visit.  As of Thursday, he was 4lbs1oz, so I'm guessing we'll be doing it for awhile.

Pumping is definitely most difficult for me at night.  Phillip is on a three hour "schedule" per the pediatrician's orders and sometimes his night feedings take a long time b/c he falls asleep a lot.  So a 20 minute pumping session following the hour it takes to feed him, change him, and put him back down to sleep is usually pretty daunting.  At least DH can help a lot over the weekends. 

do you have a hands free pumping bra? Can you feed him in the boppy while hooked up? Might save some time. Hands free bras are so worth it if you don't have one. 

BFP CP 1/12/11 DD born 10/16/11
  • Options
    I've been EPing for 7.5 months now and I can tell you it does her easier. I'm not saying it ever gets easy but you learn multi task. To get things done while doing it. If you haven't already invested in a hands free bra while you pump I highly suggest it. It's the best 40 I've spent. Just remember that even tho it's not easy your still able to give Lo BM. If your pumping at night, try pumping and feeding at the same time so you don't have to stay up longer, invest in a few sets of parts, that way at night you don't have to wash every time. I hope it gets easier.

BFP: 01/08/11 EDD: 09/15/11 Natural MC: 02/03/11
    BFP: 02/14/12 EDD: 10/26/12 D&C: 03/09/12
    BFP: 04.05.12 EDD: 12.17.12 Born 11.18.12 Jackson Kane 6lbs 5ounces

BFP: 06.08.13 EDD: 02.13.14 Baby Girl.. 2U2 Here we come

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfdf7a.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"