Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Library Story Time

I need tips on making it through Story Time with DS. He just turned one, and he is not quite walking independently. He does really well with sitting on my lap and listening when I read stories with him at home, but at the library he just wants to be up practicing walking or crawling around to see what is in everyone else's diaper bags. I am not sure how much I should just let him explore (without getting into people's stuff) and how much I should start teaching him to stay near me/listen to the story/participate in the songs. How do YOU get through story time?

Re: Library Story Time

• Options
    K has been going to story time since just before 1 and she still does what you described. I think it's normal. Most kids in our class do that. Every now and then a story will catch her attention and she will stop and listen for a while. Most of the time though her and the other babies are running and crawling around. Our library always puts a couple of buckets of toys for the LOs to play with during story time.
  • Options

We have been going to story time for a few weeks now. Ours is really awesome, it's 5-6 boys all about the same age (18-20 months). Fortunately it's no problem if they get up and walk around. The teacher uses a lot of props so that helps keep their attention. 

I would say it's probably fine for him to be exploring. He's definitely not the first 1 year old who won't sit still! 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess there are a lot of 2 and 3 year olds in our group b/c it seems like most of the kids are either right with their parents or at the front of the carpet listening to stories and dancing to the music. Last time we went, I was literally the only parent out of a room of at least 20-25 parents who was up walking around with a kid. It wasn't a huge deal until he melted down over me not letting him have someone else's DVD. Ack!

• Options

imageunaveragejane:
    I guess there are a lot of 2 and 3 year olds in our group b/c it seems like most of the kids are either right with their parents or at the front of the carpet listening to stories and dancing to the music. Last time we went, I was literally the only parent out of a room of at least 20-25 parents who was up walking around with a kid. It wasn't a huge deal until he melted down over me not letting him have someone else's DVD. Ack!

There's a HUGE difference in a 2 or 3 year old an a 1 year old, especially in terms of sitting & listening to a story. Do they have one especially for babies? If not, I probably wouldn't go. I would be worried about my DS being a big distraction for the older kids who are getting something out of the storytime. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Another thought is to look for a a music and song time instead of a story time. My son couldn't make it through a story time when he was 1 but loved the energy of the music time. Most of the libraries around me have them weekly as well. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately, this is the youngest group they offer. It's also really close to DS's nap time most of the time. I guess we'll wait until he gets older before we go back. I might also email the library and suggest that a music and song group for little bitties would be really nice, especially in the early afternoon. Thanks, all. I feel a little bit better knowing that it's probably more of an inappropriate fit issue than a poor parenting (on my part) issue.

• Options
    We get through story time by thinking of it as time for LO to experience a new space, different sights and sounds, meet other babies, and start getting used to the idea of structured activities involving books. She will only actually sit still if the teacher captures her attention by making strange sounds or faces. We go to a 6 - 18 month story time session, and the only kids sitting still are the 6-7 month olds who can't move.
  • Options
    Our library's story time was not very structured until the 2 year old group. In the infant room, it was totally free, but most babies sat with their parents for comfort/lack of mobility. The 1's were encouraged to participate, but there was no expectation and they could walk/run/jump as much as they wanted to. Even at 2, there is a basic routine (a couple songs, a couple stories, musical instruments, and free play) but again no expectation of participation. I'm finding that most new 2's wander and do their own thing, they start listening really well by 2.5, and participating between 2.5 and 3. They aren't allowed to run, hit, or make noise during story time, but anything else is fair game.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Seems like normal behavior for a 1 year old. When my son was that age it was the same story. So I haven't gone to too many storytime or music classes where he would need to stay in my lap for most of the year. I stuck to activities where it was okay or I wouldn't get annoyed if he wanted to get up and explore. They do grow out of it. Now that he is almost 21 months, I tried a music class again recently and it went a lot better, he stayed in my lap or by me for the majority of the time. I would just try to find activities where your LO can explore freely for now so you aren't getting so annoyed when out. 
    Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I let her do what she wants as long as she isn't taking something away from another toddler, disrupting the storytime person, or getting into something that she shouldn't. Our library is pretty lax and knows that toddler storytime is going to be somewhat crazy. Everyone expects it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageunaveragejane:
    Unfortunately, this is the youngest group they offer. It's also really close to DS's nap time most of the time. I guess we'll wait until he gets older before we go back. I might also email the library and suggest that a music and song group for little bitties would be really nice, especially in the early afternoon. Thanks, all. I feel a little bit better knowing that it's probably more of an inappropriate fit issue than a poor parenting (on my part) issue.

No, it's definitely not poor parenting on your part! Toddlers just aren't made to sit still and listen. They are much too curious & busy! 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"