August 2013 Moms
Options

Wall decals

I need advice from crafty moms.

I put up some wall decals in the nursery and I absolutely love them, but every time I walk in there they are starting to curl up and come off! Any suggestions on how to make them stick without ruining the wall? Thank you.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Wall decals

• Options
    You could try a tiny bit of mod podge. That'll be fairly easy to get off or paint over later.
  • Options
    Are your walls textured? I hear there is another applicator that has a felt edge that works better on textured walls. I was worried about the same thing. I think I will paint a square canvas and put the dycal on that so its more of a wall hanging . Good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Did you make them or buy them? The brand of vinyl used makes a big difference

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The walls are not textured, they are just painted with eggshell paint. The decals came with the bedding set, so they may not be the best decals in the world... But I love them so.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageFutureMRSTillman:
    You could try a tiny bit of mod podge. That'll be fairly easy to get off or paint over later.

Thank you. I may have to try that
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The decals I'm buying say to wait at least a month after painting before applying. Not sure if that applies to you but could be a reason maybe...?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagesparks4stp:
    The decals I'm buying say to wait at least a month after painting before applying. Not sure if that applies to you but could be a reason maybe...?

We didn't repaint. So I think I just have bum decals
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know the decals I got with my bedding set have a horrible online rating because no one can get them to stay up. Good luck!
  • Options
    imagesparks4stp:

We didn't repaint. So I think I just have bum decals
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had this problem in my sons room when he was born. Humidity can cause it too. They should be reatachable.... I don't think that's a word... But take them off, wash the wall with soap and water and reapply just before they dry. That should help them stay up.

We said goodbye to our sweet Taylor Ashley on August 8, 2012.We lost baby Noelle on May 1, 2015

Mom to Cam and Al, now expecting baby number 3, August 2016. Praying for lots of sticky baby dust!
  • Options
    A spray adhesive may work as well!
  • Options
    We have Skip Hop ones that are peeling off one giraffe refuses to stay up for anything! we also have not recently repainted eggshell finish walls. We finally tried small pieces of tape on the edges doesn't show up and seems to have done the job...for now!
  • Options

Put. The. Glue. Down.

Do not clue crappy vinyl to your walls. If there is still adhesive on the back of the pieces (it should still have some "tack" to it), take a hair dryer and blow the pieces. The heat will reactive the adhesive and give the pieces better contour to the walls. Once heated (not melted) use a squeegee (the little plastic one, can be found at any hardware store - Lowes, Home Depot, etc) and start in the middle and spread outwards. This should cause a better stick.

If this doesn't work, my suggestion is to get a higher grad decal. It never pays to go cheap with vinyl.  

• Options
    Thanks ladies. The hair dryer trick did not work... They are crappy skipping wall decals that came with the bedding; they match too perfectly for me to look for something else. I did a very light coat of mod podge only on the areas that kept peeling up, the bottom of giraffe legs for instance.so far it is working.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I feel the same way so cute and so frustrating! Our big orange giraffe has totally peeled off the wall twice, hence the tape. Might try a bit of mod podge in the future too thanks for posting I needed the advice too!
  • Options
    It's driving me nuts too. I had them positioned perfect, only to wake up this morning to see them all curled up. The mod podge really seems to be working, but I am trying not to go too heavy for when its time to take them down
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"