Food Allergy

Dairy, soy, egg...

Looks like I will be here a while... After trying formula for the first time last week with terrible results, DS was tested and is allergic to dairy, soy and eggs. That's all they tested for so far... We will go to an allergist for a plan and follow up as soon as an appointment opens up. Bummed to be in this club, but, hiya, ladies!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Dairy, soy, egg...

• Welcome!

My first DS was diagnosed at 1 and I was insanely overwhelmed! When DS2 was diagnosed last month, it didn't seem like that big of a deal, even though none of their allergies overlap! 

My 3 best suggestions:

A. We used garage sale dots to code things in our home that LO could eat.  A green sticker meant he could eat it.  This helped for babysitters and even grandparents.

B. Foods are sneaky, so become an avid label reader. (I'm sure you've heard this before) I've been surprised, one type of pasta, say spaghetti, is fine, but switch to rotini, same brand and it has the allergen in it.  Likewise, this brand of spaghetti fine, the next brand not. It's been particularly bad with generic products for us.  Cheerios, okay, Scooters, nope.  McDonalds dips their fries in milk, some places use egg to help products stay together, it's scary what's lurking sometimes.

C.  Check out your local store for natural/organic, etc. We're lucky that our local store has a great selection.

GL- it definitely can be worse!  

• Thanks, I love the dots idea. Grandparents are the worst! While I was at hospital with DS, my mom gave DD cake at a coffe shop! She was bragging to me about how much my daughter loved this cake thankfully she didn't have a reaction and started to outgrow egg bakedin, but I was shocked that my mom would give her that, because I grew up with a peanut allergy myself, and was basically nut free my whole childhood.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Rice, kenoa sp?, grilled veggies and grilled meat and fish. Makes for a great diet. Down from a size 8 to a size 4. Anyway, there is the silver lining. The rest isn't so shiny : hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"