Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Possible 2nd D&C!?

I am new here and not familiar with the lingo (so bare with me). A little back story:

I found out I was pregnant on 4/12. My period had lasted a month (which never happens) and for some unknown reason I took a home pregnancy test on 4/12 and was SURPRISED it was positive. Because my period was so weird the previous month, my husband and I decided to wait to tell ANYONE about it until after my DR appt, so we could confirm everything was on the up and up. At my first appt (on 4/26) we confirmed I was 6 weeks and everything looked fine. My blood came back as RH Negative, so I had to do the rhogam shot the next day. They tested my HCG levels again and the dropped by 50%. They told me it was a miscarriage. I waited 2 weeks before I had the miscarriage naturally on 5/11 (1 day before mother's day :(   ). I went to the DR the following monday and I checked out fine. On that thursday I started passing more tissue. Went into the DR office and after an U/S it was confirmed I had tissue remaining. I was scheduled for a D&C the following day, Friday 5/17. I didn't bleed heavy AT ALL, it was light bleeding for 2-3 days. 

Well, I started my period on Friday (6/14). The first day was brown and light flow. Saturday was bright red and med/heavy flow. Sunday I was having the most HORRIBLE cramps and passing golfball size tissue. I called the DR today and have to go into the office tomorrow for an U/S. I have read of others having to have a 2nd D&C ...

How can you have to have a 2nd D&C when the whole point of the first one was to SCRAPE out the lining! This is so frustrating! This was my first pregnancy too :(

Does anyone know what happens after a 2nd D&C? How soon it needs to be done? If I have to pay for this one or will it be paid by the hospital/DR (I know this is a long shot but i'm not rich and these things cost $1500 or more)?

Someone help ... Or at least tell me a great joke to ease the pain! 

BabyFruit Ticker
June 2014 February Siggy Challenge - Picture of me and DH

Re: Possible 2nd D&C!?

• Options

Firstly, I would like to say I am sorry for your loss. This board, and many of the other AL boards are a great support system.

I would like to ask you to step away from Dr. Google for a moment, he will not help you and will only to serve to scare you further. Sometimes when the hospitals are preforming a D and C, they miss some of the remaining tissue. It isn't uncommon. An ultrasound will tell your doctor if there is some left, so as hard as it is try not to focus on that right now.

As for the cost, I would think your insurance would be billed again and you will be paying whatever amount you were billed for the first procedure. I hope this helps, ::hugs::

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with d&c or advice, but I wanted to let you know that I'm so sorry that you're going through this. You're in my thoughts and prayers. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am very sorry for your loss and also very sorry that you are going through the question of possible missed tissue.

I went through a question of retained tissue also, but it turned out  I didn't need end up needing another D&C, though my doctor did discuss it at one point.

During that time, what I learned is that D&C's are blind procedures and so it is quite possible for tissue to be left behind. Doctors try to prevent that by using U/S during the procedure to make sure they got everything but sometimes stuff gets missed. Also, sometimes blood clots form from cramping you get after the D&C and that shows up the same as tissue.

In either case, if you have missed tissue or any mass in your uterus, your doctor may try to have you take cytotec/misoprostol instead b/c it shouldn't be much tissue left, and that is of course a lot less invasive than another D&C. That is what my doctor did.

For me, however, the medication didn't have any effect, even after 2 tries. However, a follow up U/S showed that the mass had been reabsorbed (which can also happen) and so I didn't need any further procedures. That may also have been why the meds didn't do anything. That process took about 4 weeks after my D&C.

Hopefully you will find that anything retained can be taken care of through medication or will just go away on it's own.  Fingers crossed!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"