C-sections

pooping after C-section

Today is day 7 after my C section and I finally feel like I have to poop, I've been taking Colace twice a day since my surgery but it still feels like its very hard to go.  I'm afraid to push too hard, and so I'm just feeling miserable.  Anyone have advice?  I was going to try Miralax but it says it takes 1-3 days to work.  I don't want to take a harsh laxative and get gassy.  Also I'm breastfeeding so I have to watch what I take.  Help!
BKP__Levi's One Year_0032_CDBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: pooping after C-section

• Prunes, apples, lots of water and walking.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Pear juice
    ~Dana
  • Loading the player...
  • Have a cup of coffe, eat a tart apple (like a granny smith) and take the baby for a walk. Also, I promise you, you wont push hard enough to hurt anything. Make that poo your b!tch Wink

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• imageMaineMama:
    Have a cup of coffe, eat a tart apple like a granny smith and take the baby for a walk. Also, I promise you, you wont push hard enough to hurt anything. Make that poo your b!tch [;]

Make sure to keep some witch hazel and prep h on hand.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I feel your pain.  My experience the first time around was less than ideal.  It took 9 days and I was up all night trying to have a BM.  I swear it was worse than my csection and felt like giving birth.  I was taking colace and milk of magnesia.  I will definitely start taking that prior to my csection this time because I do not want to go through it again.  I wish you the best of luck and hope for an easy BM in your near future!

imageimage

• imagerockyrollgirl:
    imageMaineMama:
    Have a cup of coffe, eat a tart apple like a granny smith and take the baby for a walk. Also, I promise you, you wont push hard enough to hurt anything. Make that poo your b!tch [;]
    Make sure to keep some witch hazel and prep h on hand.

Yeah, I prob should have put more into the response- here is an edit;

You prob won't push hard enough to hurt anything. Most people will stop before they injure themselves. Use common sense and don't sit on the toilet for hours at a time.

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• I took a suppository and it worked like magic
  • It took me about 6 days and was awful.  Colace didn't work for me either.  My mom recommended milk of magnesia which does not cause cramping and finally did the trick.  My doctor also prescribed ducolax suppositories as a last resort, but I didn't need to use them.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• I had issues with this after my first c-section, so with my repeat, I made sure to drink a TON of water and fruit juice while in the hospital.  I was also taking a stool softener(I think it was Senokot) that was automatically prescribed if you had a c-section.  I pooped on day 3 no problem.  After I came home, I made sure to continue drinking water and juice(I stopped the Senokot once I came home).
  • i didnt  poop for 7 days and when i finally felt like i could go i just sat on the toilet and waited, let it come in its own time. it sounds silly but my mom was over so she could watch DS and i just took my time. i didnt want to push in fear of it hurting but it didnt matter because i couldnt push anyways. GL
  • They gave me a stool softener in the hospital but it didn't work too well. I ended up having a BM the day we left but it took over an hour sitting in the stupid little bathroom and was AWFUL. All I can say is once you have it, they will get easier. I'm still not normal AT ALL, but definitely better. GL Hun!!!

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jefkjefk member
    I just replied to another thread with a similar theme, but I don't think it went through.  Anyway, I'm 3 days post c/s (still in the hospital) and the nurses are giving me something they call "the cocktail" - half cup prune juice, half cup apple juice, two tablespoons lemon juice, served warm.  It doesn't taste great but I've had four so far and they're helping move things along.  I've been farting since right after the surgery and just had a tiny, very disappointing poop (but a poop nonetheless).  The juice works better for me than milk of magnesia.  Good luck!
  • I have found it helpful to hold a blanket or pillow over my stomach while pushing. It kind of takes the pressure off my stomach.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • The thing that worked for me after my second c/s (and I'll be trying this after #4), is drinking very warm water. For me, it seemed to soften the insides, and help.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Worst thing ever.  I took Colace every day 3 x a day a week later what got me going was my friend dropped off some spicy chilli she made me.  Stick out tongue
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lots of apple juice!! I was back to normal by the next night. Drink lots of water also.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• I took colace in the hospital, ate prunes at home. Went in the middle of the night on day 4 or 5 with no issue. But I stopped all pain meds by then and only took Vicodin for 1 day in the hospital.....that can make a difference. I took ibuprofen the whole time until 5 days pp.  

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Dulcolax suppositories. I had the worst constipation ever and this was the only thing that helped me go. The first night I took it it took until the next morning to have a BM but the next night I took it I couldn't even keep the thing in the full 15 minutes without having to go. They work wonders! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"